Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Hybrids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/)
-   -   Phal (Color-Infused) dying? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/102506-phal-color-infused-dying.html)

ProfessorSnakeDad 02-08-2020 01:13 PM

Phal (Color-Infused) dying?

2 Attachment(s)
So I have a blue-sapphire phalaenopsis that was doing pretty good when I got it, it's rather big, blooms being about 3" i believe. The blooms fell off and after a few weeks the leaves withered, turning yellow and flexible, but there was still one very healthy leaf, it was just the smaller leaves that got sick. My brother accidentally broke off the healthy leaf but i continued to water as i did as the roots were also shriveling a bit. My water cycle consists of filling the pot and letting it soak for 30 minutes once a week. I know that this is too much as they're yellow but im not quite sure how long/much i should soak it for/in. Anyway, the orchid in question has now lost all of it's leaves but one small sick leaf, there seems to be crown rot and a few roots are shriveled badly. Any tips at all for saving her would be wonderful. Pictures of the poor plant below.

rbarata 02-08-2020 01:50 PM

Not a very good perpective on this one but you may want to put it in a place with good indirect light, temps around 22ºC (72F).
Enclose it inside a closed box (transparent so that you can see inside) with the pot on top of a sphagnum layer (or something that keeps moist). Mist the top medium slightly and the sphagnum until it holds enough water, close the box and wait a few months.
There should be new roots by then followed by new leaves.

ProfessorSnakeDad 02-08-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbarata (Post 911346)
Not a very good perpective on this one but you may want to put it in a place with good indirect light, temps around 22ºC (72F).
Enclose it inside a closed box (transparent so that you can see inside) with the pot on top of a sphagnum layer (or something that keeps moist). Mist the top medium slightly and the sphagnum until it holds enough water, close the box and wait a few months.
There should be new roots by then followed by new leaves.

Thank you for the help! Also, should i clip the shriveled root or will those get better?

rbarata 02-08-2020 02:05 PM

You can also (and maybe it's a better solution) is to take the plant out of the pot and put it inside the box bareroot).

ProfessorSnakeDad 02-08-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbarata (Post 911348)
You can also (and maybe it's a better solution) is to take the plant out of the pot and put it inside the box bareroot).

Alright, thank you so much for your help!