Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   after rare bonus blooming branch, what are my options (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/102327-rare-bonus-blooming-branch-options.html)

tedro 01-22-2020 02:49 PM

after rare bonus blooming branch, what are my options

1 Attachment(s)
(attached picture -- this attached photo is not representative of where the orchid is normally located; full photo album here: Orchid 1 - Google Photos)

Hi,
What are the options when all these flowers finally fall off?

I understand that normally one would cut the entire/main spike back and wait until next "annual" blooming, but A) is it annual? Obviously, I had one blooming and then this other immediately after bonus (fasciated branch) of 20 flowers (4 buds remaing to open!).

This is my only orchid, I do not intend to get another, I like this one plenty!

Perhaps another new branch or growth will appear and I will know, then, what to do (nothing, wait & watch). But, absent new growth, what are my options when these flowers drop? I wish to prepare.

Thanks in Advance! :bowing:)

SouthPark 01-22-2020 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedro (Post 909712)
I do not intend to get another.

hahaha. That's what they 'all' say. We predict that you're going to end up with more orchids eventually haha.

At the end of the flowering period, just let the spike dry up (if it does dry up). Once the spike has dried, you can then either leave the dried spike, or cut it off - after fully dried up.

Naturally, it's always possible to cut the spike at any time at all - regardless of dry or not.

If you do cut it when it's not dried, then use a sterilised cutter.

Also - in nature, nobody will be there to cut a flower spike. So leaving the spike is an option too if you have no problem with appearance.

DirtyCoconuts 01-22-2020 04:12 PM

green spikes should not be cut IMO...they can always rebloom or produce keikis- they are additional plant material for water and nutrient storage and cutting runs the risk of introducing bacteria, fungus etc.

it is largely an aesthetic decision as long as you take care in the cutting as SP mentioned

tedro 01-22-2020 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthPark (Post 909714)
hahaha. That's what they 'all' say. We predict that you're going to end up with more orchids eventually haha.

At the end of the flowering period, just let the spike dry up (if it does dry up). Once the spike has dried, you can then either leave the dried spike, or cut it off - after fully dried up.

Naturally, it's always possible to cut the spike at any time at all - regardless of dry or not.

If you do cut it when it's not dried, then use a sterilised cutter.

Also - in nature, nobody will be there to cut a flower spike. So leaving the spike is an option too if you have no problem with appearance.

Perfect, wonderful.
Thank you, SouthPark! :bowing:)

-- all 20! 17 flowers, 3 buds remaining to open!