Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Identification Forum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/)
-   -   kindly translate abbreviations (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/102295-kindly-translate-abbreviations.html)

kvet 01-18-2020 10:26 AM

kindly translate abbreviations

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!

I visited open house at SVO early November. It was overwhelming for a beginner like me, but with help of some dude I purchased a little orchid that was in process of a bloom. It has a very, very mild floral fragrance (need nose up against it to smell it), and I'm quite thrilled how gentle the colors turned out! I'd appreciate if someone could expand the abbreviations for me! Excuse breakfast and messy house in background.

Roberta 01-18-2020 12:12 PM

Here goes... One parent is given as Potinara (Brassavola-Sophronitis-Laelia-Cattleya) Pat Thrall 'Magenta Fire' but when I looked it up it was listed as Slc. (no Brassavola) . With all the reclassifications in the Cattleya group, it's now Cattleya Pat Thrall ...

The other parent is Laeliocattleya Jose Dias Castro 'Magnifica', With reclassifications, it's now also Cattleya.

So under the currently-accepted taxonomy, it's actually
C. Pat Thrall x C. Jose Dias Castro .... the hybrid hasn't been registered. Both parents are awarded cultivars, and it is beautiful!.

I dug down to the component species, and based on the species in its parentage, it should grow nicely outdoors in coastal southern California. (For me, that's the bottom line.. this hybrid should be fairly cold-tolerant)

SouthPark 01-18-2020 04:26 PM

Also - some of these details at these links will help.

Click Here - 1 - orchid name basics

Click Here - 2 - orchid name basics

Click Here - 3 - abbreviations

kvet 01-18-2020 07:42 PM

Great, thanks!

"Pot" is Potinara.

"Lc" is Laeliocattleya.

Are "Pat" and "Thrall" not abbreviations? Hmmm.. I just tried doing a search on those two together (not sure why I hadn't done that before, I think the "pot" got me stumped and I gave up too quickly). Results make it seem like there is some dude in Hawaii whose wife is "Pat Thrall". This would be consistent with the naming then. I see.

This one will be indoors, but, I may explore taking a few outdoors after I get my other projects situated :)

Roberta 01-18-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvet (Post 909477)
Great, thanks!

"Pot" is Potinara.

"Lc" is Laeliocattleya.

Are "Pat" and "Thrall" not abbreviations? Hmmm.. I just tried doing a search on those two together (not sure why I hadn't done that before, I think the "pot" got me stumped and I gave up too quickly). Results make it seem like there is some dude in Hawaii whose wife is "Pat Thrall". This would be consistent with the naming then. I see.

This one will be indoors, but, I may explore taking a few outdoors after I get my other projects situated :)

Slc Pat Thrall is a registered hybrid (grex) name. 'Magenta Fire' is the cultivar, or clonal, name - the specific plant, that got awarded. Lc. Jose Dias Castro is also a registered hybrid. 'Magnifica' is the cultivar name of the specific awarded plant. (That one was awarded in Brazil) You can look up the parentage on the Royal Horticultural Society website The International Orchid Register / RHS Gardening
(Not very friendly with old genus names... you can look up each of the parents with Cattleya as the genus because that's what they both are now.)

Here is what I got when I searched for Cattleya Pat Thrall (It was named for a person...)

Cattleya Pat Thrall

You can use just the grex name without the genus and can find things that way as well. If you go through the parentage of the parents, you eventually do get down to the component species. (Orchidwiz does the work for me...)

estación seca 12-26-2022 05:32 PM

There's a fair amount of C. dowiana in this, which needs warmth, as well as C. (Sophronitis) coccinea, which prefers coolness. So I couldn't guess what is the optimal temperature.

Going dry for too long can cause bud blast. I try not to let Catts in bud dry completely.