Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   Sharry baby flower spikes (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/102264-sharry-baby-flower-spikes.html)

Chakora 01-16-2020 12:18 PM

Sharry baby flower spikes

I have a big beautiful Sharry baby that I received for my birthday in October. It had 2 flower spikes that bloomed soon after I received it. All the flowers are gone but the spikes have not dried up at which time I normally would cut them. But, I haven't cut them because they are still green and sturdy. Will they rebloom? Should they be cut? I have a new spike from another pseudo bulb that has just bloomed. My plant is very healthy and seems happy and I don't want to hurt it.

Roberta 01-16-2020 01:15 PM

First, welcome!

Oncidium spikes won't rebloom. I like to leave green spikes, since plants may "recycle" the tissue in them. But it doesn't hurt anything to cut them for the sake of appearance, since they aren't going to do anything more. It sounds like you have a healthy plant! Good growing!

DirtyCoconuts 01-16-2020 01:22 PM

X2 to robertas comment.

I like a “natural” looking plant so I leave them in place rather than prune and manicure

Chakora 01-16-2020 02:32 PM

Thank you

Thank you both for your quick answers. It's good to know that pruning them back won't mean missing out on any reblooming :D I may go ahead and prune them even though they are still green although I like to go the natural route as well, but they are so tall and make the plant very top heavy. I keep it in a clear plastic pot inside a heavier pot to help avoid it tipping when heavy winds come but it is still a bit of a handful.

tasha 01-31-2020 05:44 PM

How long do the blooms usually last for you? I came back to my house and all the blooms fell off, about a month of blooming. Is this normal? I did move it to a book shelf where it wasn’t getting as much light. Not sure if the light prematurely stopped its blooming.

Thanks in advance!

Roberta 01-31-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasha (Post 910661)
How long do the blooms usually last for you? I came back to my house and all the blooms fell off, about a month of blooming. Is this normal? I did move it to a book shelf where it wasn’t getting as much light. Not sure if the light prematurely stopped its blooming.

Thanks in advance!

This is normal. Flowers don't last forever. While some types of orchids, such as Phalaenopsis, can stay in bloom for several months, the flowers of most types only last a month or 6 weeks at best. So enjoy them while you have them, and know that if you give the plant good care, it will bloom again.

tasha 02-01-2020 12:27 AM

Thanks Roberta!!

Chakora 02-07-2020 10:34 AM

Around a month or so it about how long my Sharry Baby blooms last as well as my other oncidium with yellow blooms. It was a No ID so I'm not exactly sure which it is. I just enjoy them as long as they are there. I have a couple orchids that the blooms last less than a week. Just have to love them for their variety.