Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   Mediocalcar decoratum ‘candy corn’ (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/102239-mediocalcar-decoratum-candy-corn.html)

Chicago 01-13-2020 02:27 PM

Mediocalcar decoratum ‘candy corn’

2 Attachment(s)
Got this tough little oddity as a clipping at the Hausermann Orchid Show last year. Tripled in size in a year and now surprised me with some blooms for the first time! So not fussy and easy to grow in a southern windowsill for me. It’s cute and strange.

DirtyCoconuts 01-13-2020 03:17 PM

what a fun looking plant

DeaC 01-15-2020 11:36 AM

Great little grower-always reminds me of exploding bowling balls! :roll:

SaraJean 01-15-2020 03:43 PM

Oh I love this one so much.

Roberta 01-15-2020 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Only about 1/3 of the flowers are open so it will get even better...I think of them as "candy corn" but I like DeaC's exploding bowling balls!

This one is draped over the top of a basket containing sphagnum. The sphag provides some humidity, but most of the plant is in air. I'm hoping that in a year or two it drapes completely over the sides of the basket to form a ball. It seems to just about double in size each year.

(Actually, not sure what group it belongs in, Orchidwiz has it as "miscellaneous" or no group. IOSPE indicates that it is related to Eria.. Orchidwzi doesn't assign Eria to one of the larger breeding groups either ) But it is really cute, and easy to grow. Grows warm or cool, doesn't need a lot of light but blooms better if it gets filtered sun/bright shade.

Chicago 01-16-2020 09:22 PM

What a huge, gorgeously full specimen!! I am so jealous of the red flowers on yours. Now I need one like this too to keep my orange one company. Candy corn, exploding bowling balls, paper lanterns...they all come to mind when looking at these unusual flowers. I think this plant lives on air alone almost

Roberta 01-16-2020 11:11 PM

Actually, flowers are red at the bottom, the "exploding" petals are bright yellow. Very cheery! The pseudobulbs between the leaves are rather red, I have been growing it fairly bright (on the advice of a friend who is a fantastic outdoor grower) - he's quite right, blooms better with more light.

Chicago 01-16-2020 11:20 PM

Does it always bloom around the new year for you? It strikes me as a plant that may bloom a couple times a year when it feels like it...and now I just read about a variegated version of this which of course I now must have too 🤣

Roberta 01-16-2020 11:34 PM

Looked back at my records, it's always about this time of year that they bloom. It can be anywhere from mid December to mid-February depending on the year. It is possible that if it is grown under different (less seasonal) conditions that it could bloom at other times. I grow it outside, so it definitely knows the weather. The variegated type is definitely nice. Scroll down the page Southern California Orchid Species Society to find it (grown by my friend). Also, Mediocalcar pygmaeum, which blooms a month or so later looks very similar. Mediocalcar versteegii is red with white petals (instead of yellow) and larger, softer leaves. I had one of those destroyed by a raccoon, I now have another that I got a few months ago. I am hopeful. When I had it before, it bloomed late March/early April. So... you just have to get some of the related species too!