Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   What's wrong with my vanda's flower spike? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/102215-whats-wrong-vandas-flower-spike.html)

ThePizzaMonster 01-11-2020 10:19 AM

What's wrong with my vanda's flower spike?

Is it a goner or is there something I can do?

https://i.imgur.com/vgE98qL.jpg

thefish1337 01-11-2020 10:56 AM

looks pretty crispy to me. yup, its a goner.

aliceinwl 01-11-2020 11:47 AM

Yes, it looks like the spike has died. From the folded leaves of your Vanda, it may not be getting enough water. Try increasing watering frequency and/or soaking time depending on how you water. Dehydration can cause plants to abort flowers/spikes.

ThePizzaMonster 01-11-2020 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliceinwl (Post 908781)
Yes, it looks like the spike has died. From the folded leaves of your Vanda, it may not be getting enough water. Try increasing watering frequency and/or soaking time depending on how you water. Dehydration can cause plants to abort flowers/spikes.

Didn't know about the folded leaves, it was like that when I got it. I've been misting it heavily for a few minutes once a day. I'll try soaking it, I did that at the beginning but some roots didn't seem to like being handled so I stopped.

Roberta 01-11-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePizzaMonster (Post 908788)
Didn't know about the folded leaves, it was like that when I got it. I've been misting it heavily for a few minutes once a day. I'll try soaking it, I did that at the beginning but some roots didn't seem to like being handled so I stopped.

Where you live, I would expect that it is fairly humid, warm, and with quite a lot of rain. If it isn't outside, it should be. Drenching rain would be the best watering for it. When it doesn't rain, water with a hose.

WaterWitchin 01-11-2020 03:18 PM

What Roberta says ^^... and misting once a day isn't enough.

ThePizzaMonster 01-11-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 908790)
Where you live, I would expect that it is fairly humid, warm, and with quite a lot of rain. If it isn't outside, it should be. Drenching rain would be the best watering for it. When it doesn't rain, water with a hose.

That’s correct but unfortunately I live in an apartment so it’s in the balcony. I’ll try soaking it instead of misting. It’s grown lots of roots so I thought it was doing ok.

aliceinwl 01-11-2020 03:55 PM

Maybe try to rig something with a bucket the plants roots can hang into to soak to minimize disturbance. I’ve been soaking my Vandas this way overnight and then rehanging them in their windows in the morning.

Orchidking 01-12-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePizzaMonster (Post 908810)
That’s correct but unfortunately I live in an apartment so it’s in the balcony. I’ll try soaking it instead of misting. It’s grown lots of roots so I thought it was doing ok.

Your leaves should be more firm and a darker colour.

When I saw your picture I thought of dried hay straight away.

So yeah what people have said, even let it soak in a bucket of water overnight.

The leaves are on the verge of dying and it had no chance of supporting a flower spike.

Look at the leaves closely and you will see what I am talking about, I can literally see wrinkles on your leaves where the dehydrated leaf veins are starting to show.

I am suspecting by the colour of your leaves that you do not adjust the ph of your water - this will cause nutrient lockouts and lower leaves will start to yellow. I would recommend you read up on how the ph can affect your plants - it's more important than feeding nutrients although I am suspecting your plant is looking for a good nutrient feed too.

Don't try to make any radical changes though, you risk doing more harm than good, just soak the plant well for now then look in to getting a ph meter to test your water and go from there.

DirtyCoconuts 01-12-2020 11:14 AM

Where do you live? Both generally and in what geographic type of region(coastal, mountain, valley, cloud forest, surface of the moon....)

And this balcony, does it have an open roof? Access to falling rain? Sun exposure?