Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Hybrids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/)
-   -   phalaenopsis orchid wont bloom (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/102120-phalaenopsis-orchid-wont-bloom.html)

Aminetm 12-30-2019 01:26 PM

phalaenopsis orchid wont bloom

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, its my first thread on this forum
So i have this orchid for tow years now . I bought it with blooms that fell after a month .and never bloomed again. Just keep pushing leavs (6 big leavs now)
How to make this plant rebloom again?
Prune leavs help ?

signin1234 12-30-2019 01:35 PM

Cool

Roberta 12-30-2019 09:38 PM

A trick that I discovered early in my orchid-growing "career" ... while my Phalaenopsis plants received about 4 hours of good morning sun, the rest of the day light was very indirect. I bought a very cheap fluorescent light, put it on a timer 12 hours a day, and went from almost no reblooming to about 80% reblooming. (LED lights weren't at option at that time, but now that's what I would use because they use much less electricity) The plants don't need - or want- a lot of light intensity, but they need more hours than they usually get in a home, especially in winter, for blooming.

Mountaineer370 12-31-2019 09:13 AM

It looks like a healthy plant, so you definitely do not want to be pruning any leaves. Some Phals just get big, which yours looks like it's going to do.

As far as blooming, I had a similar experience with a couple of my Phals. One waited 19 months to rebloom for me, and another one waited 23 months. Now, though, most of my Phals are blooming on a very regular basis. The thing that made the big difference was adding supplemental lighting. In my case, I could not hang strips of lights from the ceiling or use many of the other styles of lighting commonly used by indoor growers, but I did settle on a few decorative floor lamps, like the type you might use for a reading lamp. They use full-spectrum fluorescent bulbs. I have them on a timer that is on 12 hours a day in the winter, a little longer in the summer.

So if special plant lighting is an option for you, maybe you should look into it. If not, try to maximize the light it's getting from outside, being careful about too much direct sunlight.

That said, you've also not told us what your other cultural habits are. Day and night temps? Watering schedule? Fertilizing schedule? (Though based on the looks of the plant, it does not look like water or fertilizer is an issue.)

Tommyr 02-06-2020 08:15 AM

Cool night temperatures and longer nights does it for mine. Which means the fall! I have 2 blooming right now.

Paphluvr 02-06-2020 09:55 AM

Please tell us more about your growing conditions, i.e. what are your day and night temperatures, what exposure is it getting, humidity level, fertilization, etc.

The plant looks very healthy but my first thought when I looked at it was that the mix looks very dry.

Ray 02-06-2020 11:02 AM

There are many factors that could be preventing it from reblooming.

One is simply light level. Phalaenopsis are not particularly demanding of light, but if it was being grown brighter before you got it, it may have not had time to fully acclimate itself yet. You can either wait, or supplement the light a bit, as Roberta did, but don't overdo it.

If, on the other hand, it has adjusted but still won't bloom, you might simply be keeping it at too steady of a temperature. Phals grow best when warm, but they may be hesitant to bloom (depending upon the species in the background) unless they are exposed to a reduction in the average growing temperature of about 6°-10°C for a couple of weeks.

Another possibility, but not so typical, would be overfeeding the plant - i.e., giving it too much nitrogen.