Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/)
-   -   Paph Fumis Delight in Perpetual Spike No Further Development or Bloom (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/101661-paph-fumis-delight-perpetual-spike-development-bloom.html)

Scott WPH 10-27-2019 02:46 PM

Paph Fumis Delight in Perpetual Spike No Further Development or Bloom

5 Attachment(s)
I must say that I am at my wits end with parvisepalum hybrids, but unfortunately, they are my favorites. This plant (Paph. Fumis Delight) appears to be thriving. It started into spike late last Spring enright before I moved my plants outdoors for the summer. The plant has continued to grow and it put out several new off-set planters. I brought my plants back inside last weekend and the bloom spikes look just like they did when I took the plant outdoors last May.

I grow my orchids in 5 x 5 grow tent. I have a 400 watt ceramic metal halide lamp. This time of year I usually increase the light levels with my paphs, they are kept at a distance of approximately 6 feet from the bottom of the lamp for 12 hours per day. This situation creates an exposure of approximately 1800 footcandles, almost the same intensity as my Phrags.

I water with rainwater and fertlize every other week at half strength. I use both MSU and BetterGro fertilizer. I switch to the bloom fertlizer in winter.

The humidity stays between 50-60%.

Daytime temps with the grow tent in my unheated basement reaches 73-75 degrees. Nighttime temps can reach anywhere from 45 to 55 degrees.

Right now, its planted in a shallow, plastic bulb pot in a mix of medium and fine bark with chunky perilite and expanded clay pellets. Its top dressed with crushed orchid shells.

Check out my pics and let me know if you think these will come on out or if they have blasted in sheath and wont develope.

I've been growing orchids for 20 years. I have no problems with species paphs and the bulldog paphs. In fact, I have a Venustum and a Complex Paph in spike at the moment. These parvi hybrids have me stumped.

I also have a Paph Magic Lantern that is just sitting there and a Paph Ma Belle that's doing the same.

Paphluvr 12-03-2019 10:40 AM

The sheath looks slightly yellowish to me and I suspect the buds may have blasted. Since the sheath is already slightly split perhaps you could coax it open a bit more and have a look at the bud. If it's shriveled and brown it's a goner.

Your culture sounds good except for maybe the nighttime temperature. Those sound too cold to me.

SouthPark 12-05-2019 08:44 PM

Totally agree. That's probably all it is. If the growing temperature range is reduced ----- the lowest temperatures raised a bit, then that would likely sort it all out. The plants themselves look fantastic.

signin1234 12-21-2019 05:50 PM

Pretty

Scott WPH 01-05-2020 10:32 AM

Update to Original Post

2 Attachment(s)
I wanted to post an update to my original post. Both spikes eventually developed and the associated blooms are open/opening. I've been growing orchids for 22 years and have never had a slipper generate 2 bloom spikes for me. I am quite pleased; I think Fumi's Delight is a true beauty!

So this is what I learned/observed/what worked for me.

I moved this plant to almost cattleya level light when I brought it in for the winter.

I kept it virtually dry, watering sporadically, mostly by means of a one gallon garden sprayer on "mist" setting.

Temps went down into the low 50s at night, 70ish during the day. Humidity at 50-60%

Fans on medium setting.

Grown light on 12 hours per day (ceramic metal halide)

Throughly watering/fertilizing once per month.

signin1234 01-05-2020 03:04 PM

It's beautiful! I need one now!

SouthPark 01-05-2020 05:11 PM

The flowers look fantastic! Put the plant in a spot with natural light shining onto the front of the flower, to give the flower more illumination for the photographs. Looking great!