Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Propagation (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/propagation/)
-   -   Help! Is this a keiki? Phalaenopsis with one basal keiki, now growing strange leaves (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/propagation/101557-help-keiki-phalaenopsis-basal-keiki-growing-strange-leaves.html)

Rorocnoe 10-16-2019 07:26 AM

Help! Is this a keiki? Phalaenopsis with one basal keiki, now growing strange leaves

4 Attachment(s)
Hello there, new member here (and a bit of an orchid newbie)!
I have a phalaenopsis which finished flowering a couple of months ago (not sure on type - it probably came from M&S in the UK). It was suffering from a bit of snow mold, but have hopefully treated that now.
I only recently found out about keikis, as I was wondering what was going on with the growth around the base (as you can see its quite well established with 4 leaves so I should have realised sooner!)

Anyway, recently I noticed this strange node poking out between the top and second leaves, and thought maybe this was a new flower spike... But now I'm wondering is the orchid growing another keiki? There's lots of little leaves growing from the crown of the plant. Have you guys seen anything like this before? I thought keikis grew from the base or flower spikes and would have a stem joining the keiki and the mother - so this has got me a bit flummoxed!

Ray 10-16-2019 08:55 AM

First, welcome to the board!

Second, that looks like a nice, healthy plant, so good for you on your culture.

Lastly, I've been growing orchids for over 45 years, and I cannot recall ever seeing something quite like that. Maybe others can chime in.

Please keep us posted.

Veksa 10-16-2019 09:00 AM

Sometimes a new keiki might grow from a crown, which seems to be the case here. The bulge i see in the last photo may be hiding it's root or just a base.

Rorocnoe 10-16-2019 03:48 PM

Thanks for the welcome Ray! I'm glad I've potentially added a new sight to your 45 years of orchid growing experience.

Thanks for confirming it as a keiki, Veska - couldn't find any reference to a keiki growing from the crown so figured I'd got some weird mutation going on haha.

If I see any further growth I'll keep you updated! Will be interesting to see if it starts growing roots.

Do you reckon this kind of keiki would be possible to remove (when it's matured and got some roots) - I'm thinking of removing the basal keiki as it looks like it would do alright in its own pot.

OrchidBro 10-16-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rorocnoe (Post 903289)
Anyway, recently I noticed this strange node poking out between the top and second leaves, and thought maybe this was a new flower spike... But now I'm wondering is the orchid growing another keiki?

This is just my guess and could be very wrong, but that bulge looks like the base of the newest leave coming out of the crown. Looks like when that new leave started to grow and develop it got stuck in the crown and began to bend. Then, when it finally had enough strength, it was able to push up through the crown.

Roberta 10-16-2019 04:28 PM

Even if the new growth develops roots, I would suggest leaving it attached to the mother plant. Since each growth can bloom, you could end up with a spectacular display! Much better to have one big, strong plant than several small weak ones that may or may not survive. If a plant gets too big to manage, then might be a time to think about dividing. But your plant is years from that situation. (Orchids grow slowly, and especially monopodial ones like Phalaenopsis that mostly grow from a single point, are even slower to create a large footprint)

Veksa 10-16-2019 04:50 PM

Correct me if im mistaken, it looks like a flower spike grows from the crown (top leaf) and second keiki is growing from some part of a stem? I do think it is a keiki rather than a new bend leaf because of that tiny "stop" leaf at the base of it.

OrchidBro 10-16-2019 05:14 PM

I think you are correct Veska. I didn’t really look at the 1st photo very well. After looking at the 1st photo again it appears the mother plant had a terminal flower spike and is now creating a keiki from the stem.

Dollythehun 10-16-2019 05:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm not so sure OrchidBro. I have a phal that has done this same thing twice. The keiki was coming from the crown. It grew fast with lots of roots. I detached it and potted it up. The mother also had great roots so I repotted her also. Drat, if she hasn't done the same thing again! While I understand Roberta's wanting to leave it, I don't want a huge multi stemmed plant, so I'll remove it again when it grows roots. My question is why is it doing this? And twice? I'll post a picture in a minute.

Rorocnoe 10-16-2019 07:43 PM

Ahh, I didn't realise about terminal spikes before (although I did think it seemed a bit odd!) I guess that would explain the keikis.

Can an orchid with a terminal spike grow new flower spikes? I'm sad to find out the mother won't grow anymore new leaves, but glad I'm lucky enough she's sprouted keikis!