Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   Den Aggregatum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/10144-den-aggregatum.html)

Oldguypops 03-30-2008 06:33 PM

Den Aggregatum

I love the look of the Den Aggregatum, but I have read that the blooms don't last too long. :_(

For those of you who grow them, how long did your Aggregatum bloom? :scratchhead:

:feedback:

Thanks

khill 03-30-2008 06:47 PM

I'm still trying to get mine to bloom.:roll:

I have read that the blooms only last a week or so I think. I'm sure someone else will be along who knows.

razka3 03-30-2008 07:53 PM

Mine's in spike now (first time).... can let you know in a month or so! I'm sure someone else has some experience with this that can help.

cowboy51278 03-30-2008 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah, the blooms are kinda short lived. last year i had a small spray of about 10 blooms. this year i got a good 45 blooms. really fantastic! kinda smelled sweet from what i was told. but the color was incredible and totally makes it worth the short lived flowers. but having a collection of stanhopes Im used to it. here is a pic from my aggregatum that was in bloom about a month ago.

Oldguypops 03-30-2008 08:52 PM

Paul,

Beautiful display, but how long is short lived? 2 days, 5 days, a week? :scratchhead:

cowboy51278 03-30-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldguypops (Post 94354)
Paul,

How long is short lived? 2 days, 5 days, a week? :scratchhead:

I would say about 7-10 days.

justatypn 03-30-2008 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine, just noticed today has a sweet looking spread working its way to making ma ma happy:D . Last year they bloomed for about 15 days, small tight pot with a sweet aroma. Am anxious to see how it shows this year, moved to a wooden basket. If I remember correctly Sue (cb977) shared a :photo: last year of a society members den agg. what a spread that one was, mounted. Here is a last years :photo:.

Leisurely 03-30-2008 09:35 PM

The individual flowers last about ten days but if you have a large plant it can put out several spikes that don't all bloom at the same time resulting in a longer blooming period. I have an old plant that I have had for years and it bloomed about a month ago with five spikes and recently I noticed three more that are about two inches long.

Cheryl, your plant is exceptionally nice with its very large pseudobulbs. It appears that you are growing it in the house. Do you give it a dry winter rest or just regular care. I have tried both ways and there doesn't seem to be much difference in the flowering results.

justatypn 03-30-2008 10:13 PM

Your spot on Jerry, I do grow indoors and this winter my schedule has/was so heptic that I did not care for my orchids like I should have so I would say it did get less watering regimen than the previous year. Have not seen much of a difference but noting my first "spike" sighting, hopefully a few more lurking :biggrin:

quiltergal 03-30-2008 11:52 PM

I have var. jenkinsii (a miniature version), and it's sending out it's first little spike. If I remember correctly I was told 7-10 days on the blooms. Not long but still worth it in my estimation.