Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchid Lounge (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/)
-   -   Suggestion for orchid sundries mail-order in UK? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/101406-suggestion-orchid-sundries-mail-uk.html)

SunnySmiles 09-24-2019 05:16 PM

Suggestion for orchid sundries mail-order in UK?

Hi all,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a mail-order shop in the UK that has a good selection of orchid-related sundries? (Continental Europe would be grand as well if shipping is not madly expensive)
I'm looking for supplies for mounting, growing media and containers in particular - a google search did not come up with satisfactory results, although I may have been too impatient there (wouldn't be the first time!)

Thank you folks :)

Sunny

Roberta 09-25-2019 01:57 AM

I can't help much with suggestions from the other side of the pond, but one idea I do have... is there an orchid society near you? If so, meeting other orchid growers is a wonderful way to get all sorts of local information - where they get supplies and plants, what they do to successfully grow their orchids, and a general chance to "talk orchids".

Shadowmagic 09-25-2019 12:18 PM

Clear Pots

Orchid Supplies UK | Making Orchid Growing Easy!

However I have found Ebay to be the best place to get stuff for orchids to be honest. Here are just a few examples of useful supplies on Ebay:

Clear Orchid Plastic Flower Plant Pots Growing | eBay

Glass Tea Light Holder Hanging Wedding DIY Bauble Candle Holder Garden Plant Pot | eBay

WOODEN ORCHID BASKET, 100x90x50mm. FLOWER ARRANGMENT, CRAFT DISPLAYS. | eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100lt-Per...53.m1438.l2649

also bought some hydrogen peroxide on amazon dirt cheap in bulk but for smaller quantities most pharmacies supply a small bottle of the stuff.

Otherwise I get my orchid bark from homebase. No idea how they sell it half price to any other shop - the seramis in the mix alone is worth more than what they sell theirs for but psst don't tell them that.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

If you do want something that is not a generic mainstream brand you could try this site - they seem to have good sounding bark mixes - however I have not used them before(copy &paste as I can't post more links):

orchidaccessories.uk

jcec1 09-25-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmagic (Post 902314)
Clear Pots

Orchid Supplies UK | Making Orchid Growing Easy!

However I have found Ebay to be the best place to get stuff for orchids to be honest. Here are just a few examples of useful supplies on Ebay:

Clear Orchid Plastic Flower Plant Pots Growing | eBay

Glass Tea Light Holder Hanging Wedding DIY Bauble Candle Holder Garden Plant Pot | eBay

WOODEN ORCHID BASKET, 100x90x50mm. FLOWER ARRANGMENT, CRAFT DISPLAYS. | eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100lt-Per...53.m1438.l2649

also bought some hydrogen peroxide on amazon dirt cheap in bulk but for smaller quantities most pharmacies supply a small bottle of the stuff.

Otherwise I get my orchid bark from homebase. No idea how they sell it half price to any other shop - the seramis in the mix alone is worth more than what they sell theirs for but psst don't tell them that.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

If you do want something that is not a generic mainstream brand you could try this site - they seem to have good sounding bark mixes - however I have not used them before(copy &paste as I can't post more links):

orchidaccessories.uk

I agree EBay is the best place that I have sourced pots, media etc.

SunnySmiles 09-25-2019 01:53 PM

Thank you guys! I only just moved here and am still trying to find my feet. I used to work in a large garden centre / nursery and was spoilt for choice, but will definitely have a look on suggested sites and ebay!

Unfortunately there is no orchid society nearby (that I know of), but I hope to find a fellow orchid maniac at college who may have insider information :)

claypot 09-25-2019 02:18 PM

There are two main Orchid sundry suppliers here in the UK. Orchid Supplies UK | Making Orchid Growing Easy! and ORCHID ACCESSORIES- potting compost and orchid supplies- Orchid Accessories. If you need equipment there is Simplycontrol.co.uk. Both suppliers are good quality and reliable. If you want Orchiata you need orchidaccessories because they are the sole importers - but they name their price.
As for Societies, there is the West Cornwall OS which meets in Camborne West Cornwall Orchid Society - Home and the Cornwall Orchid Society Home - Cornwall Orchid Society whicvh meets at Chasewater near Truro.
Hope that helps but I suppose it depende which part of Cornwall you are in.

richardb 09-25-2019 02:23 PM

I see Claypot has posted some useful suggestions for you, but take a look at the British Orchid Council website www.british-orchid-council.info where you will find lots of information about societies and dealers. They produce a year book containing lists of all such dealers etc. Much of that information is on line too.

SunnySmiles 09-25-2019 04:33 PM

Oh thank you that IS really helpful! I didn't know there were orchid societies in Cornwall at all, and Truro actually isn't that far from here. And I will definitely check out British Orchid Council website as well.

Thanks guys :)