Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Cattleya Leaf Discoloration & Wrinkling (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/101353-cattleya-leaf-discoloration-wrinkling.html)

astrumes 09-19-2019 02:17 PM

Cattleya Leaf Discoloration & Wrinkling

1 Attachment(s)
I noticed an odd Discoloration on this mini cattleya's older leaves where the center of the leaf is pale and slightly yellowish.
The affected area is also rippled/wrinkled as if dehydrated, as is the bulb itself.
The leaf's outer edges are not affected, creating a ring effect.
The newer bulbs don't seem to be affected but I do see a little discoloration beginning on the bulb closest to the affected end.
Not sure what this is and wanted a second opinion before I go in and chop this plant in half. Please let me know if you've seen this type of thing before! Thank you!

Roberta 09-19-2019 03:58 PM

Don't cut! Take it out of the pot and take a look at the roots. That wrinkling is from dehydration, but that can be caused by bad roots (plant unable to take up water). Since that's an older growth, it is possible that the particular growth is just on its way out, which is normal if the roots on the newer growths look good. But as long as the pseudobulb is firm, it is contributing to the plant even if the leaf drops and its roots are gone.) Don't cut anything green - that's the plant's reserves while new growth is developing.

Ray 09-19-2019 03:58 PM

It looks to me like it's a bit dehydrated, more than anything else.

How long has it been in LECA, is that S/H or not, and what's your feeding regimen?

astrumes 09-19-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 901983)
Don't cut! Take it out of the pot and take a look at the roots. That wrinkling is from dehydration, but that can be caused by bad roots (plant unable to take up water). Since that's an older growth, it is possible that the particular growth is just on its way out, which is normal if the roots on the newer growths look good. But as long as the pseudobulb is firm, it is contributing to the plant even if the leaf drops and its roots are gone.) Don't cut anything green - that's the plant's reserves while new growth is developing.

Oh, I see! Its from dehydration! I was worried it might be some sort of infection because of the way the leaves went pale in the center. The roots aren't very good on the older pseudobulbs which is probably why its dehydrated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 901984)
It looks to me like it's a bit dehydrated, more than anything else.

How long has it been in LECA, is that S/H or not, and what's your feeding regimen?

I'm glad its not some sort of infection, and just some dehydration!

Its in s/h and its been just over 1 year but moved homes halfway through so was stressed. I feed every other week @250-300ppm w/ K-Lite topping in between w/ pure RO water when necessary.