Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Phal with big bloom and multi inflorescence? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/101286-phal-bloom-multi-inflorescence.html)

ToxDocAR 09-06-2019 07:44 PM

Phal with big bloom and multi inflorescence?

Sooo. Any suggestions on a phal with the biggest flower size and multi inflorescence (when mature)???
I got 2 phals I ordered in and I am pretty disappointed on bloom size. I would like at least one WHOA 😎 one for my office window.

Leafmite 09-06-2019 10:34 PM

Try Fuller's Sunset. It not only put on a really great show at Christmas time but it experienced cooler temps this spring and put out new spikes for this summer. The flowers are large and colorful. I bought mine at Hausermann's.

Magic Art (I bought mine from Logees) is another nice one. It is fragrant, the flowers are large (almost as large as Fuller's Sunset) and it also puts on a really nice show.

Phalaenopsis White Dream 'V3' AM/AOS-- I do not own this one but I have seen it and it has large, nicely arrange flowers. This one is currently in bud at Hausermann's.

Hausermann's:

ORCHIDS: Orchids By Hausermann

Logees, Magic Art:

Phalaenopsis Orchid ‘Magic Art’ (Phalaenopsis hybrid)

ToxDocAR 09-08-2019 07:42 AM

I'm looking at Fuller's Sunset now. Pretty. I take that it usually has dual inflorescence?

I am tempted with the Surf Song at Hausermanns too. But can't tell if the blooms are as large as I liked.

At Kroger's yesterday there was some very large Noid white phals with yellow lip, like white dream. The largest blooms I've seen at Kroger's🤣. I almost bought one.

Ray 09-08-2019 08:32 AM

Genetics is one factor that helps determine the number of spikes and flower size and count, but giving it great growing conditions can make all the difference in how it actually performs.

It's all about the "fuel" reserves the plant can pack away before blooming - the more the better.

Maybe you should consider buying one of those "Phalaenopsis krogerei" and experiment.

ToxDocAR 09-08-2019 08:48 AM

Phalaenopsis krogerei, that's funny!

Mountaineer370 09-08-2019 09:03 AM

FWIW, I don't know if you have Meijer stores in your area, but I'm in there a lot doing my grocery shopping, and I've noticed that they often have some Phals with very, very large flowers. It sounds like you're okay with NoID, so why not check out all your local stores that carry orchids (grocery, big box, local florists), etc. It's a way to actually see the plant before you buy.

Hausermann's is one of my trusted vendors. If there is a particular one you like the looks of on the site, maybe you could call and speak to someone there? They have nice plants.

ToxDocAR 09-08-2019 09:09 AM

To clarify, I have many Phalaenopsis krogerei for many years. My hubs has supplied me with most😂. I have ordered in many paphs over the years though, just never felt the need to do so for a phal.
But, I have limited space for my office window and really wanted an impressive phal for the space. Most bang for the buck🤷

Unfortunately, I do not have many options other than Kroger's locally. I might have to give Hausermanns a call.

Ray 09-08-2019 01:44 PM

Go to Big Leaf Orchids. Peter Lin specializes in phalaenopsis, and I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.

ToxDocAR 09-08-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 901515)
Go to Big Leaf Orchids. Peter Lin specializes in phalaenopsis, and I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.

I'll check on that. Thanks!

IngieBee 09-12-2019 03:03 PM

That's so funny. I read this question yesterday, then went shopping with my mom, and saw the most ginormous Phals! Big blooms 5" accross, in purple and white! They put 3 plants in a display pot, with gorgeous cascading flowers! Unfortunately, there was no name tag :(