Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Terrarium Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/terrarium-gardening/)
-   -   starting my build (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/terrarium-gardening/101162-starting-build.html)

bbqman 08-18-2019 09:51 AM

starting my build

3 Attachment(s)
Well after a ridiculous amount of reading and asking dumb questions I'm finally stating my build. I bought a 75 gallon drilled aquarium with a heavy oak stand and an Odyssea t5 quad timer light. The light will eventually get replaced. I paid $100 for everything

bbqman 08-18-2019 09:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I made a false bottom out of eggcrate and made a small waterfall in the corner even though everyone said not to do it. I'm just stubborn and want to experiment since it's my first build. I used scrap pieces of eggcrate for support instead of pvc pipe. It seemed easier and has better water flow. It's very sturdy also!

bbqman 08-18-2019 10:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got 4 agro brite 6400k t5 ho grow bulbs for now. To be honest it seems like its about half the light I would need but it will get me going for now.
I also installed 6 90lb wheels so it can be moved when needed.

bbqman 08-18-2019 10:14 AM

I bought LECA for the bottom, cork flats and rounds and coconut fiber for the background, and substrate mix. The rounds were bigger than expected but were pretty cool looking. I couldn't use the biggest one for the background so I'll just add it whole and attach epiphytes.

bbqman 08-18-2019 10:25 AM

pics attached

5 Attachment(s)
I couldn't attach pics. something about a security token.

Ray 08-18-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqman (Post 900545)
I got 4 agro brite 6400k t5 ho grow bulbs for now. To be honest it seems like its about half the light I would need but it will get me going for now.

Don't underestimate the light from that fixture. 216 watts in those bulbs put out a lot of light. As a Hydrofarm reseller, I've sold a lot of those!

bbqman 08-18-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 900548)
Don't underestimate the light from that fixture. 216 watts in those bulbs put out a lot of light. As a Hydrofarm reseller, I've sold a lot of those!

I'm hoping Ray. They seemed like the best I could get for the money. Eventually I'll upgrade to a LED hood...unless I fall in love with these - LOL

Swimmingorchids 08-18-2019 12:19 PM

very nice bbq.

I was tempted to go for what you have done but I went for plastic storage containers for ease of opening and ease of drilling venting holes into.

That will be an annoyance where you wish you had a door opening to the front instead of standing on some step ladders to reach in and water your plants.

I have had no problems running your sort of setup with no ventilation - humidity in the 80% range most of the time where other have said it's needed - but mine does get heated which creates natural convectional airflow.

One thing I was going to do if ever I was to use an aquarium was to place it on its side and make a plexi glass door to access the plants but that would no longer make it water proof although you could glue in a ledge - just food for thought really.

Like what you have done so far but yeah full spectrum LED's have become very cheap and very good and pay for themselves in saved electricity these days - last thing you need to get even if you do fall in love with the t5's.

bbqman 08-18-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swimmingorchids (Post 900553)
very nice bbq.

I was tempted to go for what you have done but I went for plastic storage containers for ease of opening and ease of drilling venting holes into.

That will be an annoyance where you wish you had a door opening to the front instead of standing on some step ladders to reach in and water your plants.

I have had no problems running your sort of setup with no ventilation - humidity in the 80% range most of the time where other have said it's needed - but mine does get heated which creates natural convectional airflow.

One thing I was going to do if ever I was to use an aquarium was to place it on its side and make a plexi glass door to access the plants but that would no longer make it water proof although you could glue in a ledge - just food for thought really.

Like what you have done so far but yeah full spectrum LED's have become very cheap and very good and pay for themselves in saved electricity these days - last thing you need to get even if you do fall in love with the t5's.

I'm used to reaching in aquariums. I've had as many as 7 reef tanks in house before. Most over 200 gallons. Tis tank is small and I can reach in fine without a stool. Either way I just wanted to try and grown indoors. I have tons of orchids outside but just wanted to try my hand at this. It's much more complicated! I live in South Florida so my orchids require very little care if any.
I will add fans and the top I have in mind will leave a couple of inch gap along the back. I'll use a couple of pieces of plexiglass as sliding doors sort of so I can adjust the ventilation. At least that's my plan.
Mister should be here this week.
I just plan on using the t5's until I can get over the cost of what I just spent then I'll order up a LED hood with a timer and dimmer.
I'm just guessing at stuff and hoping it will turn out so we will see what happens.

bbqman 08-18-2019 02:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
back is in place and drying. Next I'll vacuum excess coconut fiber and see how it looks. of the Cant wait to see my bare spots - LOl