Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   The Electric Orchid Hunter Says Hello (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/10108-electric-orchid-hunter-hello.html)

orchidhunter 03-29-2008 08:50 PM

The Electric Orchid Hunter Says Hello

Hello everyone.
In 2001 I made the wonderful mistake of reading Susan Orlean's fascinating book The Orchid Thief. I was stunned by her descriptions of all the crazy and obsessed orchid people. Soon after, I bought a Phalaenopsis at a nursery and became one of them...

Inbetween then and now, I managed to set up a greenhouse in the backyard of my parents' house in Pretoria, South Africa, amass over 300 orchids of various kinds, arm myself with knowledge and become totally obsessed. Since August 2007, I've been studying plant genetics in Colorado, USA and so had to entrust my precious babies to my mother's capable hands. She has caught orchid fever from me (it's contagious, folks!) and sends regular updates on what's flowering in my absence. Lucky me! Being so far from my greenhouse makes me feel a little out of the loop, I guess, which is why I decided to join this here esteemed forum. So there you go.

My main space for all things orchid-ey on the web has been my blog: Eclectic Epiphytes and Electrophoretic Epigrams, which I maintain as The Electric Orchid Hunter. For the sake of continuity, I decided to use that name for this forum too. Hope no-one thinks it's too conceited. :blushing: Apart from pieces about orchids, botany, evolution, biotechnology and genetics, it also features posts about some of my other passions. But mainly orchids. ;)

That's it for introductions, I guess. Please visit my gallery of orchid pictures I've taken over the years.

Cheerio!
The Electric Orchid Hunter

gmdiaz 03-29-2008 09:20 PM

Hello to you!

What a clever and entertaining Blog. . .love the colors and the banner. Love the arrangment of all. LOVE the writing! NICE!!!!

Welcome to Orchid Board. . .laughing, another orchid nut for the orchid nuthouse!

We're sort of neighbors. . .I am in Bailey, CO., relatively close to Pike's Peak. I would go totally bat&^*& for a greenhouse but's it's dang difficult to manage at 8,630 ft. I don't know how you stand being so far away from yours. Glad you have someone to look out for your orchids.

Now, what I want to know. ..is what orchids do you have? And can you post pics of them? Can you do it right now?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Think yew in advance.

orchidhunter 03-29-2008 09:36 PM

Yes, it's ironic that I chose to come to the mountains to study, instead of a steamy paradise like Florida. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog - it has become a good substitute while I'm away from home. I've already started to put pics of some of my plants up in the forum's gallery space. Do check them out. It's a very small selection; I'll add more as time goes on. :biggrin: There should be a link on my profile, I think.

dawnv 03-30-2008 10:02 AM

:hello AWESOME BLOG...Love it! Wow, keep up the good work and I'm so glad you added some great pictures.