Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Zygopetalum care (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/101060-zygopetalum-care.html)

CZF 08-01-2019 01:21 PM

Zygopetalum care

Hi all,

I'm very excited to pick up my very first Zygopetalum Advance Australia on the weekend and was wondering how it should be potted.

I've seen a few conflicting articles.

Would this type do well in semi-hydro? I know they don't like to dry out completely, so seemed like this might be a good candidate for S/H?

Or bark mix? (Fine or medium, I've seen both recommended)

Any other advice?

I think I read somewhere to not bury them in the media too deeply, but have them just about on top of the media?

Thanks for any advice! :)

WaterWitchin 08-02-2019 09:37 AM

For what it's worth, I grow all my Zygos in traditional S/H. They're alive, they bloom. If you already have experience in S/H, I'd say go for it. Good candidate.

CZF 08-02-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 899838)
For what it's worth, I grow all my Zygos in traditional S/H. They're alive, they bloom. If you already have experience in S/H, I'd say go for it. Good candidate.

Thanks! I'll give it a try, I'm really excited for this one!

aliceinwl 08-04-2019 02:09 AM

I have no experience with semi hydro. I grow all of mine in bark and they do well in that too.

Dollythehun 08-04-2019 07:01 AM

Mine is in a moss mix, never dries out. Lots of air circulation. It grows like a weed, blooms like crazy, and still has crappy foliage. Expect that.

Ray 08-04-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CZF (Post 899799)
Hi all,

I'm very excited to pick up my very first Zygopetalum Advance Australia on the weekend and was wondering how it should be potted.

I've seen a few conflicting articles.

Would this type do well in semi-hydro? I know they don't like to dry out completely, so seemed like this might be a good candidate for S/H?

Or bark mix? (Fine or medium, I've seen both recommended)

THE PLANT, by itself, does not determine the potting medium or growing technique to use. It, coupled with all of your other growing conditions does.

For example, they are epiphytes, so growing mounted is, by far, the best for it. Right? Sure - if your temperatures, humidity, lighting and ability to water it frequently are all up to the task. Many of us don't have such conditions or capabilities, so it's a bad choice.

Quote:

Any other advice?

I think I read somewhere to not bury them in the media too deeply, but have them just about on top of the media?

Thanks for any advice! :)
When you pot it up, the roots should certainly be buried in the medium, but the rhizome should not be. That is particularly important in S/H culture, where the medium should stay evenly moist. Look at how it is growing when you get it.

CZF 08-06-2019 02:17 PM

Thanks all,

I decided to just pot it in bark, as I didn't have an appropriately sized pot for S/H and it was a long weekend, so stores were closed.

It has no roots on the oldest pseudobulb which is pretty desiccated as a result. The roots off the one newer growth are not in great shape and the other new growth has none, so I'm hoping those will arrive shortly.

I hope the old pseudobulb and poor root system can keep it going until it puts out new roots, which it will hopefully do soon!

Poor thing, I put it in between all my other orchids which are going mad putting out new roots right now, hoping that plants have some sort of root-making pheromones to make it have a strong desire to grow some lol :rofl:

ETA: Sorry, I wasn't very clear, yes I meant just the rhizome to be sure to keep it above the media.

Ray 08-06-2019 03:22 PM

If you're on Facebook, search for C & C Orchids. They sell KelpMax in Canada, and it's your best chance of stimulating root growth.

CZF 08-06-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 900074)
If you're on Facebook, search for C & C Orchids. They sell KelpMax in Canada, and it's your best chance of stimulating root growth.

Thanks Ray! I actually have some KelpMax which I let it soak in a bit when I got it home.

How often should I give that to it?

CZF 09-05-2019 12:23 PM

Well, a happy update!

I went on holidays week before last and gave my Zygo a bit more KelpMax and told it I'd better see some new roots when I get back - lo and behold, my pep-talk worked! :D

The new growth has two roots about 1cm long when I got back!

I am so relieved, think this beauty is rounding the corner.

Will the new roots help hydrate an old pseudobulb, or do they only hydrate the bulb they come from?

Just curious! :)