Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/)
-   -   Paph. Didn't Bloom... An oddball question (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/101008-paph-didnt-bloom-oddball-question.html)

Nlamr 07-22-2019 12:09 AM

Paph. Didn't Bloom... An oddball question

I bought a blooming size paph last summer, and unfortunately it had a bad year (my fault entirely). So it was no surprise when it did not bloom this spring. I have since taken greater care with the plant and it is rebounding nicely, it has even grown a new leaf. Here is my question, I am aware that paph growths will not rebloom, however this growth has never bloomed. Is there a chance that it will bloom or do I have to wait until a new growth matures? Is there a "blooming window" so to speak with paphs?

Ray 07-22-2019 06:59 AM

In my experience, after a cultural setback, the next growth might simply put its energy into rebuilding the strength of the colony, rather than blooming, while subsequent growths may very well do so, if the shortcoming is resolved.

Blooming seems to occur upon maturation of the growth, which may-, or may not be seasonal. For example, I am seeing different bloom times in some of mine since I moved from a greenhouse in PA to out-on-the-deck/windowsills in NC.

Fairorchids 07-22-2019 10:50 AM

An unbloomed Paph fan never looses the ability to bloom.

An unhappy Paph might not bloom for 2-3 years. Then, when conditions improve, it can bloom on all mature fans. If some of the older fans are in poor condition, they might never bloom.

Nlamr 07-22-2019 11:35 AM

Awesome, thanks guys! Aside from time I think all it needs now is a repotting, maybe in the next year or two I'll get a bloom!

SouthPark 07-22-2019 10:27 PM

Any recorded incidences where a paph fan has flowered more than 1 time? As in --- flowered once, and then at some other future time, spiked and flowered again.

Ray 07-23-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthPark (Post 899371)
Any recorded incidences where a paph fan has flowered more than 1 time? As in --- flowered once, and then at some other future time, spiked and flowered again.

Nope. Not that I've ever seen.

SouthPark 07-23-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 899385)
Nope. Not that I've ever seen.

Thanks Ray! That's 'disappointing'. Looks like this 'rule' is never going to be broken! :D

Fairorchids 07-23-2019 09:01 PM

There was a member who claimed to have it happen, but I have never seen it.

SouthPark 07-23-2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairorchids (Post 899408)
There was a member who claimed to have it happen, but I have never seen it.

Interesting!!! Usually there would be the tell-tale sign of the old (usually blackened spike) ......... so photographs (lots of pics) taken to record such important events woud be expected. I would have been taking pictures galore - for important reasons.