Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Member Projects (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/member-projects/)
-   -   2019 orchid project - let's brainstorm some ideas! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/member-projects/100631-2019-orchid-project-brainstorm-ideas.html)

camille1585 05-25-2019 06:49 AM

2019 orchid project - let's brainstorm some ideas!

So many people are wondering if a new project is going to start anytime soon, and recent attempts at starting one have led to not much.

So instead of proposing an idea and hoping people like it, I thought we could start differently: all interested people decide together one the type of project we'd like to do.

To get us started, I've created a poll with different general ideas for a project. Vote for your preferred type(s) and we'll take it from there!

We can also recycle ideas from project 'proposals' that never became projects.

---------------Plant suggestions -------------------
  • Laelia vasconcelosiana
  • Laelia harpophylla
  • Vanda ampullacea (ex Ascocentrum ampullaceum) or similar (A. miniatum, A. pumilum...)
  • Phal parishii / Phal lobbii
  • Nervilia plicata (terrestrial)
  • Dendrobium pachyphyllum
  • Eria ornata
  • Sarcochilus ceciliae
  • Sarcochilus hartmannii
  • Sophronitis coccinea (cool grower)
  • Dendrobium bellatulum
  • Dendrobium eriaeflorum
  • Dendrobium tannii or bracteosum (unclear if they are separate species, and in any case they're similar enough for our purposes)
  • Bulbophyllum biflorum
  • Bulbophyllum lobbii
  • Bulbophyllum macranthum
  • Bulbophyllum medusae
  • Dendrobium unicum

orion141 05-25-2019 09:44 AM

I would be interested in joining a project and can help out some as well!

camille1585 05-28-2019 11:08 AM

So far it seems that a classic compact plant project is favored. Any suggestions for plants? Generally we try to stick to plants that grow well in intermediate temps, so that everyone has a faire shot of growing it successfully.

rbarata 05-28-2019 11:22 AM

Laelia vasconcelosiana or Laelia harpophylla.

camille1585 05-28-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbarata (Post 896923)
Laelia vasconcelosiana or Laelia harpophylla.

I'll edit my first post to include a running list of ideas, starting with this! :)

I was thinking of a small Vanda type, like Vanda (ex Ascocentrum) ampullacea or related.

orion141 05-30-2019 06:41 AM

I’ll think of more and add them.

But as a start:

Phal parishii

camille1585 05-30-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orion141 (Post 897024)
I’ll think of more and add them.

But as a start:

Phal parishii

I'll add Phal lobbii next to it, they are so similar that either could be grown if this were to be the project plant.

Bulbopedilum 05-30-2019 10:30 AM

Who is eligible to join?

I probably wont join but I'll help think of a few ideas.

A deciduous plant would be interesting but also not, because most are on a set flower-grow-dormancy cycle - but perhaps Nervilia plicata?

Some other ideas:
Dendrobium pachyphyllum
Eria ornata

orion141 05-30-2019 04:27 PM

would ascocentrum pumilum be related to the other vanda/ascocentrums you were thinking Camille? I would also be interested in on of those.

A sarchochilus type plant (e.g. sarchochilus cecilia) would be in the same realm.

sophronitis coccinea might be fun also.

If people are into dendrobiums the following might be fun:
Dendrobium bellatulum
Dendrobium eriaeflorum
Dendrobium tannii

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulbopedilum (Post 897036)
Who is eligible to join?

I probably wont join but I'll help think of a few ideas.

A deciduous plant would be interesting but also not, because most are on a set flower-grow-dormancy cycle - but perhaps Nervilia plicata?

Some other ideas:
Dendrobium pachyphyllum
Eria ornata

You should definitely consider joining :biggrin:

My understanding is that the project is open to anyone (but I could be wrong lol).

neophyte 05-30-2019 05:35 PM

i would be interested in growing one of the dendrobium species (compact/miniature obviously) but i am open to any genus really. also it might be better not to choose a pendant/usually mounted species...