Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Hybrids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/)
-   -   Question about Phal. Liu's Cute Angel (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/100569-question-phal-lius-cute-angel.html)

Mountaineer370 05-19-2019 09:53 AM

Question about Phal. Liu's Cute Angel

Anybody have this? I bought Phal. Liu's Berry 'SW' a couple of years ago, based on the photos and description that it had pink flowers. When it arrived, it was a very nice plant, but I was surprised that the flowers were what I would definitely call light purple and not pink at all. That one took two years to rebloom for me, but it did recently, and has a bunch of nice new light purple flowers.

So I'm thinking of getting Phal. Liu's Cute Angel because it looks very similar, also seems to be compact (important for me), and is described as having pink flowers, which I would really like. The photos I'm seeing online mostly look pink, but some look like they could be purplish. Liu's Berry photos also look mostly pink but turned out not to be.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who owns Phal. Liu's Cute Angel who can tell me what color the flowers actually are. With my limited space, I have to use a lot of discretion in buying orchids, and I don't want to buy one that's going to look exactly like my Phal. Liu's Berry "SW" with its light purple flowers.

aliceinwl 05-19-2019 10:38 AM

I imagine there is some variability. I don’t have this one, but I saw it for sale at an orchid show this spring. The petals on the plants there had a very pale blush of pink: not the more vibrant pinks I saw in a quick google search.

sweetjblue 05-19-2019 10:39 AM

Hi Cheri,

I have a Liu's Berry 'M' in bloom now. The colors, to me, look like a pinkish light purple when held again another flower that I consider to be of a purple color.

Do you have a pic of your flowers to compare to?

Judi

Ray 05-19-2019 10:48 AM

Culture can play a big role in color development and presentation.

The cultivar is actually 'Orchid House SW', and this is an award photo from TOGA:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/iof-grexes3/92953.jpg

Liu's Cute Angel can be variable as well, and Orchid Wiz photos show everything from pale pink with an orange-red lip to fairly deep fuchsia.

Mountaineer370 05-20-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetjblue (Post 896404)
Hi Cheri,

I have a Liu's Berry 'M' in bloom now. The colors, to me, look like a pinkish light purple when held again another flower that I consider to be of a purple color.

Do you have a pic of your flowers to compare to?

Judi

I am a terrible photographer. I don't know how to use all the settings on my camera(s), and any pictures I have taken of my plants before have come out too dark or too light, not something I would want to post. But I know it would probably be helpful, so I'll see what I can do.

I would describe the flowers on my Liu's Berry as very light purple or lilac-colored. The lips are a reddish-purple. What I'd like to have are flowers that are just plain light pink, not pinkish-purple or purplish-pink.

Of course, this is not a serious issue in the big scheme of things, lol. I've got more Phals blooming this year than I've ever had before, so I'm pretty happy with my orchids right now. :D

Paphluvr 05-20-2019 09:57 AM

Here's a link to a picture of Phal. Liu's Cute Angel.

Big Leaf Orchid forum • View topic - Phal. Liu's Cute Angel

Mountaineer370 05-20-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paphluvr (Post 896466)
Here's a link to a picture of Phal. Liu's Cute Angel.

Big Leaf Orchid forum • View topic - Phal. Liu's Cute Angel

I did see that photo in my search, although that one looks much darker than almost any other pictures I'm finding of it. My Phal. Liu's Berry 'SW' is from Big Leaf Orchids, and when I bought it, it was described as pink, and the photo made the flowers look pink, but they are definitely light purple, not light pink. That said, it was a very nice plant, and I would not hesitate to purchase from Big Leaf Orchids again. :)

sweetjblue 05-20-2019 04:31 PM

Cheri, Mine looks much like the photo that Ray posted however the lip on my Lui's Berry has a bit more orange in the lip. This year its blooming on 2 spikes from a basal keiki.

You can never go wrong ordering from Peter Lin, LOL

Judi

Mountaineer370 09-09-2019 11:03 AM

I know this thread is several months old, but I just thought I'd let everyone know that my Phal. Liu's Cute Angel (Jiaho Cherry x lobbii) arrived a couple of days ago from Hausermann's. To my surprise -- because it was not mentioned as being in bud or bloom -- it has nine open flowers that made the trip nicely, plus several more buds. Of course, the flowers look more light purple to me than pink. :biggrin: My Liu's Berry 'SW' bloomed earlier this summer, but all the flowers are gone now. I wish I could compare the two side by side. Maybe one day they'll bloom concurrently. I'm thinking the Cute Angel might be just a little bit more pinkish than the Berry.

That's okay, though. I'm just happy to have healthy, blooming orchids! In the same order, I also got a Phal. Formosa Dream (amabilis x lobbii) that also came with a couple of flowers and a bud that opened with a day of arriving.

I've got three more coming from Gold Country Orchids this Sunday when Alan Koch comes to speak at our society meeting. I will then be about maxed out on space!