Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Orchid Tours in South\Central America (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/100564-orchid-tours-south-central-america.html)

dnatural1 05-18-2019 11:57 PM

Orchid Tours in South\Central America

A few years ago I did an orchid tour of Ecuador with Ecuagenera which I enjoyed thoroughly. I'm interested in repeating the experience but ideally in a different country - Columbia is one country I'm thinking about but I'm still open to others including Central America.

If any of you have been on Orchid Tours in South\Central America which they recommend (or have been recommended by fairly reliable sources) I am very interested in hearing about it. Also the times of the year when best to go as flowering can be seasonal (influenced by the rainy season).

Regards
Joe P.

claypot 05-19-2019 02:10 PM

Joe, I suggest you contact the Orchid Society of Colombia SCO – Sociedad Colombiana de Orquideologia . I know they have an exciting rain forest project.
Richard

fishmom 05-19-2019 02:35 PM

Trips – Orchid Conservation Alliance

I don't have personal experience, but I heard Mary Gerritson talk about the Orchids in Chiapas trip, and it sounded wonderful. Seemed well-run and organized.

Roberta 05-19-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmom (Post 896428)
Trips – Orchid Conservation Alliance

I don't have personal experience, but I heard Mary Gerritson talk about the Orchids in Chiapas trip, and it sounded wonderful. Seemed well-run and organized.

Orchid Conservation Alliance does excellent trips, and also supports their conservation efforts with the proceeds. I'll be able to report on their trip on the Rio Negro in Brazil soon... I have talked so a number of people who have been on other trips (as well as that one, and Chiapas)

dnatural1 05-19-2019 06:54 PM

Hi Claypot, Fishmom, Roberta,

Great start for exploring possibilities.Both the SCO (Columbian Orchid Society) and the Orchid Conservation Alliance look very interesting. I'll be contacting both societies and see what suggestions\plans they have for 2020. Will report back on findings (contacts and other info). Roberta I'd love to hear more on the Rio Negro trip. No rush as I'll be going in 2020.

In the meantime I welcome more suggestions of orchid trips in South\Central America. Information on the time of year when best to go is also appreciated.

Regards
Joe P.

dnatural1 05-21-2019 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claypot (Post 896427)
Joe, I suggest you contact the Orchid Society of Colombia SCO – Sociedad Colombiana de Orquideologia . I know they have an exciting rain forest project.
Richard

Hi Richard,

Do you have any email contacts for the SCO. I been through their website and they do not have an email contact point - strange. They do have social media presence and probably can be contacted this way but I do not like using social media much.

Regards
Joe P.

Roberta 06-18-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 896431)
Orchid Conservation Alliance does excellent trips, and also supports their conservation efforts with the proceeds. I'll be able to report on their trip on the Rio Negro in Brazil soon... I have talked so a number of people who have been on other trips (as well as that one, and Chiapas)

I just got back from the Rio Negro trip. Fantastic. (And our group even included an Aussie couple) I know that there are discussions in the works on doing tours in other parts of Brazil, on land (such as eastern and southeastern parts of the ocuntry). Because these tours are actually organized by people in the countries visited (OCA reaches out to the individuals who want to go on the tours but the local people handle the on-the-ground details) they're done very well.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 06-19-2019 10:13 AM

I don't know if Orquideas del Valle does these trips anymore (they are a Colombian orchid nursery). I believe at one point in time they did.

dnatural1 06-19-2019 11:52 PM

Hi Roberta, Philip,
Tks for your replies.

I sent an email to Orquideas del Valle (Andrea Niessen ?) last month but got no reply. I had heard that they did orchid tours once - they may still do but I was not updated on this by them.

The OCA (Peter Tobias) was however more communicative. I was informed that they are organising an orchid trip to Costa Rica in April. I have heard good things about them as well.

My initial aim was\is to tour Colombia (safely) and I have contacted a couple of guides there who do orchid tours - however I must provide the individuals for these tours (to share costs). Haven't yet seriously tried to do so (ie get a small group together and organise a trip) yet. If I try and fail Costa Rica in April is always there as an option.

Regards
Joe

King_of_orchid_growing:) 06-20-2019 11:37 AM

Try calling.