Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Iwanagara Apple Blossom 'Kalei' (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/100527-iwanagara-apple-blossom-kalei.html)

MermaidNat 05-14-2019 11:02 AM

Iwanagara Apple Blossom 'Kalei'

1 Attachment(s)
Last week I received an Iwanagara Apple Blossom 'Kalei' from Kaleialoha Orchids in Hawaii. It was packaged very carefully and, to my surprise and delight, arrived in bud. One of the buds has since opened into a beautiful, fragrant bloom; however, unfortunately it's already fading after just a few days (maybe due to the stress of shipment?). At any rate, it was a nice teaser for the future. :-) Just thought I'd share.

Paphluvr 05-14-2019 07:35 PM

Judging by your photo, I'd say that having to wait until next year will be worth the wait. Very nice bloom.

MermaidNat 05-16-2019 12:18 PM

Thanks, I'm excited!

camille1585 05-17-2019 02:09 AM

Very beautiful!! It's nice that you were able to enjoy a flower for a couple days, and I agree that next blooming is something to look forward to! This is one of my favorite Catts, and everytime I see someone post photos of theirs,I wish I had one.

Gthumbz89 05-19-2019 10:54 PM

Never heard of that nursery. Thanks for the lead. Great plant also. Too bad it is a once a year bloom though.

CZF 05-24-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MermaidNat (Post 896196)
Last week I received an Iwanagara Apple Blossom 'Kalei' from Kaleialoha Orchids in Hawaii. It was packaged very carefully and, to my surprise and delight, arrived in bud. One of the buds has since opened into a beautiful, fragrant bloom; however, unfortunately it's already fading after just a few days (maybe due to the stress of shipment?). At any rate, it was a nice teaser for the future. :-) Just thought I'd share.

I am picking up a seedling of this type tomorrow! I'm really excited, thanks for sharing. It's beautiful!

SouthPark 06-13-2019 04:18 PM

Very nice! I can sort of see some Laelia features in there. A pumped up Laelia.

The cross is registered with RHS as Jackfowlieara Appleblossom. Genus Jackfowlieara, grex Appleblossom.

MermaidNat 06-13-2019 04:20 PM

Unfortunately I discovered pseudobulb rot in this plant a few days after arrival and wasn't able to prevent its spread. This plant had to be trashed. :-(

SouthPark 06-13-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MermaidNat (Post 897656)
Unfortunately I discovered pseudobulb rot in this plant a few days after arrival and wasn't able to prevent its spread. This plant had to be trashed. :-(

Nasty! Sorry to hear about what happened to that one. Very nice flower.

I wonder if it got frozen a bit during the flight - if it was on a plane - in the cargo hold.