Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-neofinetia/)
-   -   Fukiden - Does it need special growing conditions? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-neofinetia/100523-fukiden-special-growing-conditions.html)

Orchid_Tapestry 05-13-2019 08:42 PM

Fukiden - Does it need special growing conditions?

Hello,

Does Fukiden need special growing conditions?
other than most other Neos?

Some say yes others no, what are your thoughts?

Shoreguy 05-14-2019 12:07 AM

I have heard that white variegation, which is what Fukiden has, is more sensitive to overexposure from sun than yellow variegation as it can burn more easily.

I do not know whether this specifically applies to Fukiden but it is probably advisable to be careful in that regard.

This sensitivity to excess sunlight applies to marginal variegation but not necessarily to tiger stripe.

Hakumin 05-14-2019 01:23 AM

I have experience with the variety and I can say that the variety can be a little bit fussy.

First thing is that if you start with a one growth, it may take a long time for it to start growing babies. Also, since Fukiden babies sometimes begin with zero chlorophyll, only later developing the center green stripe, while the baby or babies initially appear, the whole plant can be bogged down a bit if conditions aren't great.

Secondly, the variety doesn't seem to like being under-watered or under-fertilized. It can lose leaves quickly if so.

Other than that, for me, the care is the same as other neos. I have not seen burning to be a problem with the variety either.

One thing I should mention though also is that Fukiden has been around for over 100 years, and over that time, different "strains" have arisen through slow genetic drift even though the variety can only be propagated through division. Some strains are stronger than others, and not all specimens will behave equally even in the same conditions.

Orchid_Tapestry 05-14-2019 06:22 AM

Thank you both for your comments.
They are much appreciated...

Especially making note of growing out a single growth. with them being so expensive. Certainly something to be aware of...

And the fact that "although the same, some strains are stronger than others" makes sense....

Any thoughts on if there is a best fertilizer for this variety?

Hakumin 05-14-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchid_Tapestry (Post 896179)
Thank you both for your comments.
They are much appreciated...

Especially making note of growing out a single growth. with them being so expensive. Certainly something to be aware of...

And the fact that "although the same, some strains are stronger than others" makes sense....

Any thoughts on if there is a best fertilizer for this variety?

As with any neo, any balanced fertilizer for orchids works, following the same dilution and frequency as with any other orchid. Do remember though that just because it doesn't like being under-fertilized, it should by no means be over-fertilized.

I personally use Magamp granules. While technically not balanced or made specifically for orchids, it's a tried and true option frequently used in Japan and suggested in the neo books.