Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Scientific Matters (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/scientific-matters/)
-   -   hybrid/cross naming conventions (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/scientific-matters/100493-hybrid-cross-naming-conventions.html)

neophyte 05-08-2019 06:43 PM

hybrid/cross naming conventions

hi, i am wondering how a orchid cross's name is written. for example, with a plant like Brassavola nodosa x subulifera, is the nodosa the pollen donor or the mother plant/"egg donor?" ie., does the order in which the parents are written indicate which one is the mother and which one is the father? if so, do vendors usually follow this convention when listing their plants?

wisdomseeker 05-08-2019 07:40 PM

From my understanding... when the parents names are written out in a cross, the pod (seed) parent comes first and then the pollen parent next (e.g., nodosa x subulifera). I believe once a hybrid name is registered, the same name is used for a reverse cross (e.g., subulifera x nodosa). Even though the registered hybrid name is the same for either combination, I think - but am not sure - that the seedlings could be different (I have not created an orchid hybrid, so hopefully other members will chime in ~ there are many knowledgeable members experienced with orchid crosses who post on this site).

I have created a few Tillandsia hybrids, and I do know that the seed parent can influence a hybrid (with its traits) quite a bit. Don't know if the same is true for orchids.

Late note: I know what a Brassavola nodosa is, but what is subulifera? Did you mean B. subulifolia (aka: cordata)?

Ray 05-09-2019 08:27 AM

"Ladies come first"

Paul 05-09-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 895975)
"Ladies come first"

I was going to say that! :biggrin:

neophyte 05-09-2019 11:09 AM

thanks! and yes, i did mean B. subulifolia, aka cordata. :blushing:

Ray 05-09-2019 12:06 PM

Actually, the proper way to write that would be

Brassavola Little Stars.

Fairorchids 05-10-2019 06:09 PM

Most vendors do follow the prescribed naming conventions [(pod parent x pollen parent) = Grex].

However, if they give you the Grex name only, you won't know whether it is (A x B) or (B x A). And, that can make a considerable difference in terms of flower shape & color.

Ray 05-11-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairorchids (Post 896030)
However, if they give you the Grex name only, you won't know whether it is (A x B) or (B x A). And, that can make a considerable difference in terms of flower shape & color.

True, which is why I think reciprocals should have different names.

Fairorchids 05-12-2019 07:45 AM

Ray,

I agree, but getting the RHS & Kew to change 160 years of tradition is another matter.

In the day lily world, they register names for each individual clone, so there you know exactly what you will get, when you buy a named plant.