Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Cattleya nobilior alba (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/100442-cattleya-nobilior-alba.html)

isurus79 04-29-2019 12:38 PM

Cattleya nobilior alba

I got this division a few years back from Leonard Gines. This is definitely not a common color. Looks good!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...80e90b92_k.jpgCattleya nobilior alba by Stephen Van Kampen-Lewis, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3694694b_k.jpgCattleya nobilior alba by Stephen Van Kampen-Lewis, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bf7f6b2d_k.jpgCattleya nobilior alba by Stephen Van Kampen-Lewis, on Flickr

katrina 04-29-2019 06:24 PM

So beautiful and one of my favorite species. I had an alba...until it got rot in all the rains we had last summer (sniff, sniff:().

isurus79 04-29-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrina (Post 895631)
So beautiful and one of my favorite species. I had an alba...until it got rot in all the rains we had last summer (sniff, sniff:().

Ohhh, that's frustrating! I got this one as a division from Leonard Gines. Maybe he has more?

katrina 04-30-2019 10:39 AM

I lost all my walkerianas and all but 2 nobiliors...and last summer was not the first time those 2 species took a serious hit during our sometimes relentless rains. I've been thinking it might just be best to give up trying...especially given the cost of a decent nobilior. If I had a more protected outside space they'd all be fine, but I don't so it's probably best I just stick with the catts that never skip a beat when we have the extreme rainy summers...many times combined with some pretty cool temps in early june. I also seem to have an issue with scale on those 2 species...double whammy...bummer but it is too much frustration.

isurus79 04-30-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrina (Post 895653)
I lost all my walkerianas and all but 2 nobiliors...and last summer was not the first time those 2 species took a serious hit during our sometimes relentless rains. I've been thinking it might just be best to give up trying...especially given the cost of a decent nobilior. If I had a more protected outside space they'd all be fine, but I don't so it's probably best I just stick with the catts that never skip a beat when we have the extreme rainy summers...many times combined with some pretty cool temps in early june. I also seem to have an issue with scale on those 2 species...double whammy...bummer but it is too much frustration.

Well, let me know if you want to sell your nobiliors. I'll give 'em a good home.

Subrosa 04-30-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrina (Post 895653)

Do you keep them in semi-hydroponic culture? We had an extremely wet season too. In one stretch of just over a week we got 16" of rain, and pretty much all season long my tomatoes were tasteless. But my nobiliors, as well as all of my Cattleya thrived. I went from one in April to 3 by the end of the season to 6 right now, although the last 3 need to be transitioned. And now's the time! I'd hate to see you get rid of such beautiful plants! But on the other hand, if you had a semi-alba or a var rubra you wanted to move along we should talk!

katrina 04-30-2019 05:07 PM

I lost the walk semi alba and a rubra and an alba...lost the nobilior alba, amaliae, and a regular color. I have no more walkerianas but still have a large nobilior coerulea and a young nobilior "dark clone". I just got the young one last spring from diamond orchids...before the rot took all the others.

Right now I'm planning on continuing with the ones I have but not adding any others until I either have a more protected set up in summer or I figure something out to where they aren't affected. I just might try your semi hydro idea. I thought about mounting them but I dont want to deal with anymore mount in the winter. Decisions, decisions.

If I ever do opt to just give up...i will keep you in mind.

Subrosa 04-30-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrina (Post 895660)
I lost the walk semi alba and a rubra and an alba...lost the nobilior alba, amaliae, and a regular color. I have no more walkerianas but still have a large nobilior coerulea and a young nobilior "dark clone". I just got the young one last spring from diamond orchids...before the rot took all the others.

Right now I'm planning on continuing with the ones I have but not adding any others until I either have a more protected set up in summer or I figure something out to where they aren't affected. I just might try your semi hydro idea. I thought about mounting them but I dont want to deal with anymore mount in the winter. Decisions, decisions.

If I ever do opt to just give up...i will keep you in mind.

I have one of the Diamond 'Dark Clone' x self as well! I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

katrina 05-01-2019 08:39 AM

Yea, me too! And it looks like I won't have to wait too long because it's working on its first bloom.

Subrosa 05-01-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrina (Post 895673)
Yea, me too! And it looks like I won't have to wait too long because it's working on its first bloom.

Mine is working on something, but it's too early to be certain exactly what. I now have a bit more hope that it's a spike. Thanks for that! Btw did the coerulea you mentioned also come from Diamond? I have a large one I got from them working on a spike.