Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Outdoor Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/)
-   -   Sprinklers for orchids hanging in tree? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/100405-sprinklers-orchids-hanging-tree.html)

Kilmiquix 04-24-2019 06:33 AM

Sprinklers for orchids hanging in tree?

Hi, all! Watering by hand is getting really time consuming for all of the myriad orchids hanging in the tree. Do any of you use automatic sprinklers? If so, what are the cons? I worry most about water on the leaves in the crowns. Is that generally a problem? any advice?

Ray 04-24-2019 08:22 AM

That's a fine idea. Just set the timer to turn the water on before dawn so the morning sun can do its thing, drying them.

Should be no issues. Treating them once a month with Concentric Ag Garden Solution will give them additional protection from rots.

I automated the watering in my greenhouse using overhead nozzles, somthey got "rained on" for about 15 years with no issue.

Roberta 04-24-2019 11:08 AM

I have almost everything under overhead sprinklers - vacations are no problem. I do water in the morning, in summer very early (so that plants have a chance to absorb the water before the day's heat dries them), a little later in winter when mornings are cold, so that they don't stay in the "cold/wet" condition too long. I have never had any problem with rot from that approach. I also adjust the frequency with the seasons - more often (even daily) in summer, less frequently in winter.

Ray 04-24-2019 11:28 AM

The trick will be feeding- with automated watering, you might forget !

Roberta 04-24-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 895370)
The trick will be feeding- with automated watering, you might forget !

I don't forget... I fertilize with a pump sprayer, about once a week in summer, maybe 2 weeks in winter. It gives me a chance to really look at everything. But watering has to be frequent and regular, especially outside. If watering didn't happen for a week or two it would be disastrous. if feeding slips for a couple of weeks because I'm on vacation not a big deal, orchids don't need a lot of fertilizer.

Kilmiquix 04-24-2019 09:36 PM

This is all good to know! Thanks all!

WaterWitchin 04-25-2019 09:59 AM

Do y'all still use R/O water when on a sprinkler system?

Roberta 04-25-2019 10:10 AM

Most of my yard gets city water, which isn't all that bad - Catts, Cyms, and Aussie Dens are fine with it. My patio area, where the more fussy orchids live, does get RO through the sprinkler system. The greenhouse sprinkler also gets RO

WaterWitchin 04-26-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 895436)
Most of my yard gets city water, which isn't all that bad - Catts, Cyms, and Aussie Dens are fine with it. My patio area, where the more fussy orchids live, does get RO through the sprinkler system. The greenhouse sprinkler also gets RO

Roberta, aren't you the one who uses 55 gallon drums for RO? If I'm correct, what size pump are you using?

Roberta 04-26-2019 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You're correct.. I have a 1 HP shallow-well pump for the RO, and another one for the waste that waters the front yard. They generate enough pressure and volume to do what I need them to do.

Here is my setup. The RO barrel is on the right. The effluent barrels are on the left, the pump on the effluent system is under the blue cover and is identical to the RO pump. The lower set of sprinkler controllers are for the back yard (RO area and others) and the upper set manages the front yard. The RO system is just behind the effluent pump, on the wall (I have black cloth over the filters which have clear housings, to keep algae under control)