Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cymbidium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/)
-   -   Bent/broken leaves near base (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/100332-bent-broken-leaves-near-base.html)

Jak 04-15-2019 02:23 AM

Bent/broken leaves near base

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone, have been a lurker on this forum for 3+years, until today when I could not find a related post to inspire me...

I have a rescue cymbidium which has started flowering after 6 years coming back from near death, and being with me as I learned what makes it tick (this was my first one)... The leaves are starting to grow in much larger than before, the bulbs are larger, and everything is going swell.

The issue I have is that one day I came home to find the largest growth was bent/cracked about 40-60° the wrong way (from the overall toughness of the leaves I am certain this was human/cat induced - the investigation is still not over :-)).

My first aid was to tie it back into the original position (about 6-7 weeks ago). The leaves look sturdier now, so I think there is some healing going on, but I don't want to manipulate it too much to not exacerbate any damage already done.

What I noticed yesterday however was that the base of the leaves (not the bulb) is starting to make this u shape, and looks like a harmonica.

Is there anything more I can be doing to help here? Will the shape of the leaves get progressively worse to the point where it just falls apart?

Any help appreciated!

J.

Orchid Whisperer 04-15-2019 05:24 AM

I don't see an issue from your photos. I'd go with your original instinct, don't manipulate it unnecessarily. Since it is blooming, assume it is recovering and is not needing intervention.

Jak 04-15-2019 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for your answer!

Just to be sure I attached a third photo with arrows pointing to the damage - long arrow point to the 'epicenter', short arrow points to a leaf already in the process of splitting off, which was part of the original bundle that was bent/broken.

I will try and keep this thread updated in case someone has this issue in future.

J.

Ray 04-15-2019 08:05 AM

The leaves got bent severely, likely damaging some of the vascular and structural tissues. It's not fixable and will fail earlier than normal.

Not a big deal at all. If you don't like the look, cut them off.

Jak 04-15-2019 08:58 AM

So it is ok if I keep propping it up...?

I want to make sure the plant gets the benefit of all that greenery on the sun.

Aesthetics is secondary it the plant "works" :-)

J.

WaterWitchin 04-15-2019 09:42 AM

Yes, propping it up works. Cutting it off works. Whichever suits you. On mine... I just cut them off and move on. Nice color on those blooms... congratulations on a good recovery and bloom. Welcome to becoming a non-lurker. :waving

And I'm gonna vote for the cat did it. :biggrin:

Ray 04-15-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 894984)
And I'm gonna vote for the cat did it. :biggrin:

I gave up on that years ago.

Damned near all the damage done to my plants is by me.

Cym Ladye 04-15-2019 05:16 PM

Everyone has a bit of the right answer here but not all. When you tied all the leaves together, the inner most leaves were unable to grow beyond the outer leaves, as they need to do. As a result, you have caused a "back up" so to speak at the base.

Use this as an experience: Keep the leaves in the general elevated position they are in with a stake while you untie them. Then with your finger nail, gently go between the leaves to be sure they are not stuck together., and pull them a little apart. Do not be afraid to separate them at the "pleating". Then use the stake to hold the leaves gently supported with a loose tie.

Jak 04-16-2019 02:42 AM

Thank you Cym Ladye, that makes so much sense I am a little mad at myself for not coming up with it:-)

Will try that out this evening and post back with the result.

J.

WaterWitchin 04-16-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 894986)
I gave up on that years ago.

Damned near all the damage done to my plants is by me.

Well, I don't have a cat. But I'd blame it anyway. :biggrin: