Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Good Book for Beginners (suggestions?) (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/41890-book-beginners-suggestions.html)

kavanaru 12-14-2010 02:54 PM

Good Book for Beginners (suggestions?)

Hi all,

a friend of mine wants a recommendation for a good ("very good" as she said! :)) book about orchids and their culture for her "freshly crowned" husband, who is quite an aficionado of orchids, but has no more than two Phalaenopsis on a windowsill... They recently moved to a nice house with enough space, and she wants to encourage him to start a nice collection (I am sure that more than one here wishes a grilfriend/wife, or boyfriend/husband, like her! :evil:)

ok, the thing is that she asked me for a recommendation of a good beginners book... and I was a bit lost :( I could recommend already especialized books, but have no clue about good books for beginners... it was several years ago the last time I read a beginner's book, and it wa snot good... I learned more by trial and error and with some friends...

Therefore, I decided to come over and ask in OB :D I am sure you would have great recommendations, which could also help other newbies here in OB too!

so.. let your mind free... give your best suggestions, and if possible a brief (just few lines) summary why you like that book so much ;)

Thansk in advance!!!

ronaldhanko 12-14-2010 03:56 PM

Understanding Orchids by William Cullina

tucker85 12-14-2010 04:50 PM

I second that recommendation. "Understanding Orchids" is a good book for beginers and experienced orchid growers as well.

BobInBonita 12-14-2010 05:05 PM

Agree wholeheartedly. Tucker mentioned it in another thread, and I requested it through our library system. Just came in a week ago, and I've been reading and enjoying it. I consider myself sort of intermediate and have found quite a few tidbits. The first part of the book is probably geared more to beginners (the hybridization section is well beyond, but still very interesting) but everyone will get quite a bit of enjoyment.

I've picked up quite few books at the local library, and most weren't memorable enough to even note their name.

CTB 12-14-2010 05:22 PM

Agree, I also like the Orchid Expert, by Dr. D.G. Hessayon, this book is a little cheaper but it has lots of basics covered, potting, light, water, insects, diseases, containers, media, chemicals etc. along with good A-Z orchids section with pics and pronunciation.

Donald 12-15-2010 11:15 AM

Ditto on Understanding Orchids by William Cullina
I have it and totally agree.

Brotherly Monkey 12-15-2010 12:46 PM

another vote for understanding orchids

Tindomul 12-15-2010 12:56 PM

Orchids, a Practical Handbook
by Briand & Wilma Ritterhausen

kavanaru 12-15-2010 01:03 PM

Thanks a lot!! The suggestion has gone already to my friend: "Understanding Orchids by William Cullina"