Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Tolumnia and LECA [or s/h??????] (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/109602-tolumnia-leca.html)

H.D 05-07-2022 05:28 AM

Tolumnia and LECA [or s/h??????]

greetings !

i have diagnosed myself with a horrible condition known as B.T.O.Y.S syndrome [ aka Buy that orchid you see syndrome lol], and have ordered new orchids, which are tolumnias. these are my first tolumnias.

after reading quite a bit about tolumnias, i have gathered that they need water, but also need to dry off quickly. hence, many people reccommend mounting them. however, my area is HORRIBLY dry, and im sure i will have to water it atleast 24 times a day :shock:.

so, i was wondering if i could use LECA as a medium, and not add a reservoir?[or add a small reservoir, and keep it full in summers?]

i see some people with really happy s/h tolumnias on orchidboard, so wanted to check.

Ray 05-07-2022 07:01 AM

The species are native to twigs on shrubs growing on the windward side of Caribbean islands, so they get frequent rain, followed by gentle, drying ocean breezes.

I’ve known a few people who have successfully grown tolumnias in S/H culture, but I’m sure not one of them.

I did OK in tiny clay “thumb pots” (that’s how big they were) with no potting medium, but have only been truly successful since mounting them on driftwood, here in coastal NC.

Considering the dry air you have, a small clay pot with a few LECA balls might do the trick.

H.D 05-07-2022 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 985691)
The species are native to twigs on shrubs growing on the windward side of Caribbean islands, so they get frequent rain, followed by gentle, drying ocean breezes.

I’ve known a few people who have successfully grown tolumnias in S/H culture, but I’m sure not one of them.

I did OK in tiny clay “thumb pots” (that’s how big they were) with no potting medium, but have only been truly successful since mounting them on driftwood, here in coastal NC.

Considering the dry air you have, a small clay pot with a few LECA balls might do the trick.

will try this!!!!!!!
thanks

estación seca 05-07-2022 11:59 AM

Ray's tiny clay pot suggestion is how a lot of people grow them. The LECA balls will probably help. I might try that.

A friend grew them in S/H in LECA. I don't think he watered often enough but they flowered. They were in a humid greenhouse.

I have grown and flowered them mounted in a sunroom with around 60% relative humidity. I watered every day.

A society member here wedges four wine corks vertically into a rectangular pot just large enough to hold them very tightly. She puts small Tolumnias in the central gap between the corks.

SADE2020 05-07-2022 03:45 PM

Before place them in the terrarium, I have them in those tiny clay pot they are mentioning but with sp.moss. In summer, I poor water everyday in the pot plate.

H.D 05-08-2022 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 985691)

WAIT ARE YOU THE RAY ? the progenitor of semi hydro? I am elated !

WaterWitchin 05-08-2022 09:41 AM

Oh good golly... don't be giving Ray strokes to his ego!

:rofl:

Dusty Ol' Man 05-08-2022 03:37 PM

Ray's gonna need a new hat.

Ray 05-09-2022 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Ol' Man (Post 985805)
Ray's gonna need a new hat.

What!?!? And cover my halo?