Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Is a bathroom a good place to keep an orchid? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/10404-bathroom-orchid.html)

datousteve 04-08-2008 03:59 PM

Is a bathroom a good place to keep an orchid?

I figure the room has moisture (due to the shower) and sufficient sun if you have a window. What you guys think? :rofl:

Royal 04-08-2008 04:07 PM

How many showers do you take per day? :lol: My bathroom gets pretty misty, but dries out fast. If you have a window, I don't see why it would be any different than a kitchen windowsill.

justatypn 04-08-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalOrchids (Post 96920)
How many showers do you take per day? :lol:

:coverlaugh:

I have a few friends who grow an orchid or two in their bathrooms. Light and humidity is your main resource to keep an orchid :D :D :D

I just don't hang out long enough in the bathroom to see how fast it drys out :coverlaugh:

Ross 04-08-2008 04:17 PM

Any room that gets sufficient light for the spp you plan on growing is a viable candidate. I still don't sweat the humidity for mine. If I have plants that demand or expect high humidity, they have to live in the orchidarium.

Tindomul 04-08-2008 04:38 PM

My bathroom has no windows. Only mold grows there. hehe. I would say yes.

jhill 04-08-2008 04:45 PM

I think it would be ok if you don't use a ton of hair spray and have plenty of light. jhill

Ross 04-08-2008 06:21 PM

I don't use hair spray - I don't have much hair! :evil: :biggrin:

datousteve 04-08-2008 06:25 PM

Who uses hairsprays nowadays anyways?

Mahon 04-08-2008 06:37 PM

...I'd only suggest pulling the plants out when spikes are visible. The gases in a bathroom may cause bud loss or yellowing of the spike. I've had it happen before in two bathrooms. VERY good place to start initiating spikes, though! :D

In Pleurothallids, I find that the plants are too susceptible to the gases and will show a steady (if not irreversible) decline in health...

I have no idea what gases they are (besides out the 'other end'), but put a brass coin in there and somewhere else in the house, and see the brass coin tarnish like no other! Sometimes, it may just take a certain day... maybe it's all just a Florida thing?

-Pat

josterha 04-08-2008 07:12 PM

My bathroom window sill (in the shower) was the home of my first orchids. I grow phals there pretty well. I have to believe that the shower is a major boon to the plants. I had a keiki growing without sphag for more than a year before its spike died. (That was before I knew what a keiki was.) Anyway, the roots never dried out.

- John

Ross 04-08-2008 07:14 PM

Not sure what gases Pat has in his bathroom (can only guess :evil: :biggrin: ) but can't imagine any bathroom has air different from most other rooms.

Dorothy 04-08-2008 07:25 PM

:yikes: Gases! :gasp:
Oh my! :faint:
:coverlaugh:

datousteve 04-08-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahon (Post 97000)
...I'd only suggest pulling the plants out when spikes are visible. The gases in a bathroom may cause bud loss or yellowing of the spike. I've had it happen before in two bathrooms. VERY good place to start initiating spikes, though! :D

In Pleurothallids, I find that the plants are too susceptible to the gases and will show a steady (if not irreversible) decline in health...

I have no idea what gases they are (besides out the 'other end'), but put a brass coin in there and somewhere else in the house, and see the brass coin tarnish like no other! Sometimes, it may just take a certain day... maybe it's all just a Florida thing?

-Pat

sorry for the noob question but what are spikes? The only spikes i know of are the on the bottom of shoes. :blushing:

susiep 04-08-2008 07:44 PM

I keep a couple phals in my bathroom because there is no more room in the orchid house. The humidity is still not sufficient to keep high humidity loving plants happy. I really have to water those plants a lot. The air conditioning dries the air more than the 1 or 2 showers a day adds to it. In order for my orchids to love it in there, there would need to be mold growing on every surface :_( (I don't love my orchids that much!)

dave b 04-08-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datousteve (Post 97023)
sorry for the noob question but what are spikes? The only spikes i know of are the on the bottom of shoes. :blushing:

The beginning of a bloom / inflorescence is referred to as a spike.

Royal 04-09-2008 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=Mahon;97000]...I The gases in a bathroom may cause bud loss or yellowing of the spike.

I have no idea what gases they are
-Pat

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I think I know what they are...:blushing: :lol: (don't worry, it's not just a Florida thing)

gmdiaz 04-09-2008 09:46 AM

OMG!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, according to Shakkai, having orchids to stare at in the morning, while brushing her teeth, is getting rave reviews from her dentist & the orchids are happy too. :bowing Bathroom orchids are a win/win.

Edited to add: I believe hers are in a tank, protected from any "gases".

cb977 04-09-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

The gases in a bathroom may cause bud loss or yellowing of the spike. I've had it happen before in two bathrooms.
Pat...what have you been eating? :rofl:

Mahon 04-09-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb977 (Post 97201)
Pat...what have you been eating? :rofl:

...I'd like to keep the peeling wallpaper story separate from the discussion :biggrin:

SaraZ 04-09-2008 03:48 PM

I keep quite a few orchids in my bathroom and they seem to really enjoy it. Like everyone has stated before, the showers don't really help the humidity out long term. If you are able to water with your house water it's convenient to have them in your bathroom close to your bath tub.

orchidtatter 04-10-2008 06:47 AM

I grow all of my orchids in the bathroom for several reasons. For one, I can keep the most harmful elements outs....namely the cats!! We don't use that bath so much so there isn't the problem of gases, hairspray, etc. I have a large window with an Eastern exposure. I added a couple of grow lights to enlarge my growing area. I also have a small humidifier to maintain sufficient humidity. I have had very good success with my orchids. They continue to grow and bloom very well.