Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/)
-   -   My very first Roth bud watch! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/93023-roth-bud-watch.html)

PaphLover 02-06-2017 03:21 PM

My very first Roth bud watch!

1 Attachment(s)
OH, the anticipation!!!!!

DeaC 02-06-2017 04:29 PM

Great...but now you can catch up with those novels you've been wanting to read or paint the rooms 3 times over or...!

billc 02-06-2017 04:39 PM

Looks like a nice fat bud on a well grown plant. Is that the only growth? Or is there a start on the other side?

Bill

PaphLover 02-06-2017 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaC (Post 831413)
Great...but now you can catch up with those novels you've been wanting to read or paint the rooms 3 times over or...!

:rofl:
I guess that means I'm in for a long wait, huh?

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by billc (Post 831415)
Looks like a nice fat bud on a well grown plant. Is that the only growth? Or is there a start on the other side?

Bill

Yes, another growth popping up from the media. It's just begun though. I bought it at the end of October. Glad it's at least happy enough with me and its transplant into semi-hydro to produce a bud.

estación seca 02-06-2017 11:16 PM

What great news!

My small Roth seedling in S/H is doing well. I hope it blooms before I, well, uh.... It probably will, I'm young.

smokinjoe1952 02-07-2017 12:48 AM

I am playing the same waiting game with a Paph too!

I noticed the rocks on top of the LECA. What is it, and why do you use it. I am considering doing something like that to prevent the top layer of LECA from getting too dry and desiccating the upper and aerial roots.

I was wondering if that is why you do it.

Thanks,

SJ

PaphLover 02-07-2017 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinjoe1952 (Post 831464)
I am playing the same waiting game with a Paph too!

I noticed the rocks on top of the LECA. What is it, and why do you use it. I am considering doing something like that to prevent the top layer of LECA from getting too dry and desiccating the upper and aerial roots.

I was wondering if that is why you do it.

Thanks,

SJ

It's lava rock. The LECA (different types from different sources) I've found tends to float, so when I go to flush the pots I lose a bunch of LECA if I'm not careful. Plus, it tends to move around too much, which isn't good for new root production.

The lava rock is heavy, keeps the plants and LECA in place, and provides some nutrients (I believe) when I flush with water. The plants seem to love it too. :D

smokinjoe1952 02-07-2017 10:52 AM

I was going to try some smaller river rocks that would accomplish the same thing. It just means that separating the rocks from the leca will be more difficult if you want to re-pot and save the leca.

Do you think the lava rocks help the upper leca layer stay a little more damp, thus protecting the roots from drying out?

If you are not having that problem, then I would be interested in knowing what the relative humidity is in your growing area. My thinking is that if it is humid enough, then drying of the leca is not a problem.

I am in the process of raising my day/night % humidity from the 45/55 range to the 65/75 range. Maybe the dry leca problem will go away without the rocks with higher humidity, but I like the idea of them holding the leca in place.

Thanks in advance,

SJ

lilydale 02-08-2017 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaphLover (Post 831405)
OH, the anticipation!!!!!

Same with me too - waiting in anticipation. The bud is taking so long to elongate. I have seen that roth flower stalks are really long and am a bit worried mine will be stuck at the axils. From your experience how long does it take on average from the time when you see the buds to the time it really takes off and the stem elongates? Do I increase light to make it grow faster? Its grown indoors in the depths of the gloomy UK winter now.....

Optimist 02-10-2017 10:05 AM

Blooming Fertilizer?

So, someone who knows, is this the stage at which we would give the plant a "blooming" fertilizer???

PaphLover 02-22-2017 05:17 PM

Because I can't help myself...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b25cb7d622.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7ddf4c60d3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f2be2a4a73.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d04e0ed5c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dounoharm 02-23-2017 01:16 PM

this is magnificent! keep posting the growth!

PaphLover 02-23-2017 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dounoharm (Post 833372)
this is magnificent! keep posting the growth!

:blushing: Thanks for being an enabler. ;)

I feel self-conscious posting, because I realize it's probably not as fascinating to anyone else as it is to me, a Roth first-timer. I enjoy watching it change.

Fingers crossed it's a pretty bloom.

UserName 02-24-2017 02:18 AM

Beautiful plant and bud!

We will be watching too! :)

dounoharm 02-24-2017 09:58 AM

for me, part of the joy is watching those buds rise and arch over then OPEN!! I think all of us feel that pleasure... its orchid success!

My Green Pets 02-24-2017 10:50 PM

Dude. Don't worry. I love bud watching. And a Roth too!! You just keep right on posting as much as you want.

When my Michael Koopowitz bloomed, I posted a pic of the spike progress every 2-3 days till it bloomed. And then kept posting as the blooms filled out and the petals kept elongating.
Also, I have never seen a Roth bud watch thread, so you are a pioneer. Keep posting, sir! :) :) :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaphLover (Post 833425)
:blushing: Thanks for being an enabler. ;)

I feel self-conscious posting, because I realize it's probably not as fascinating to anyone else as it is to me, a Roth first-timer. I enjoy watching it change.

Fingers crossed it's a pretty bloom.

PaphLover 02-24-2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CambriaWhat (Post 833565)
Dude. Don't worry. I love bud watching. And a Roth too!! You just keep right on posting as much as you want.

When my Michael Koopowitz bloomed, I posted a pic of the spike progress every 2-3 days till it bloomed. And then kept posting as the blooms filled out and the petals kept elongating.
Also, I have never seen a Roth bud watch thread, so you are a pioneer. Keep posting, sir! :) :) :)

Haha! Thanks for endorsing my indulgence! :biggrin:
...But me's a lady. :blushing:

PaphLover 02-24-2017 11:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I find it interesting how much the inflorescence moves around during the day. It's under a light, and I don't move the plant except to water it (once a week) and put it right back in the same spot, but the inflorescence swings away from the plant (throughout the day) and back as if it's following the sun. Is this common?

Also, it appears that one of my buds is upside down! Wonky thing!

dounoharm 02-25-2017 10:04 AM

I love seeing the progression! i think at this point I would put a stake in to support it some....with a very loose tie....that 'upside down' one will flip at the appropriate time... keep posting!

PaphLover 02-25-2017 03:47 PM

At the risk of changing conditions and causing problems, the inflorescence is now only a couple centimetres away from the T5H0 light.

I'd like to move the plant to its own table lamp light source (either with a 26watt 1400 lumen bulb, or 13 watt 900lumen bulb [depending on your expert guidance]) to provide proper lighting AND room to grow without burning.

Thoughts?

Also, it's on a heat mat currently. Move a heat mat with it as well?

And thanks again, all, for your guidance!

PaphLover 02-25-2017 06:55 PM

delete.

PaphLover 02-25-2017 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=PaphLover;833677]Moved it with heat mat and added some friends. Let me know if you think it's a mistake.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...374ac78106.jpg

PaphLover 03-03-2017 11:25 AM

Top bud did, in fact, turn itself around, but it's much smaller than the other. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9c0b8da0fb.jpg

billc 03-04-2017 02:51 AM

Those buds are beautiful! The second one will swell up, don't worry.

Bill

PaphLover 03-04-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billc (Post 834407)
Those buds are beautiful! The second one will swell up, don't worry.

Bill

Thanks, Bill!

PaphLover 03-04-2017 12:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Enamoured with the process...

MasonV 03-04-2017 10:39 PM

That looks amazing so far, I will definitely be watching too! My paph Luna Pleasure which i just received is in spike too, its so satisfying to watch the progress!

PaphLover 03-08-2017 10:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
First bloom.

jkofferdahl 03-08-2017 10:57 PM

I've been following this thread since the original post. It's been fun to watch your updates, and I have to admit that you caught me up in the anticipation! The final result of the first flower is worth the wait! In a word (I NEVER use just one word, sorry), it's awesome. I want one.

PaphLover 03-09-2017 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkofferdahl (Post 834987)
I've been following this thread since the original post. It's been fun to watch your updates, and I have to admit that you caught me up in the anticipation! The final result of the first flower is worth the wait! In a word (I NEVER use just one word, sorry), it's awesome. I want one.

Kind words. Thank you! :blushing:

No-Pro-mwa 03-09-2017 02:33 PM

What a beautiful bud. And also gorgeous flower, I too want one. I want to try one of the crosses to see if I can do that first. They like it warm don't they. I would have to put it on a heat mat also. Who is his cute little friend?

PaphLover 03-09-2017 09:48 PM

No-Pro-mwa,
Thank you!

I think you mean the flowering phal in the group shot? That's a Phal. equestris 'orange' X manni var. flava. I think it's quite sweet too.

MasonV 03-09-2017 10:21 PM

Well worth the wait, that bloom is stunning! :mrgreen:

No-Pro-mwa 03-11-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaphLover (Post 835193)
No-Pro-mwa,
Thank you!

I think you mean the flowering phal in the group shot? That's a Phal. equestris 'orange' X manni var. flava. I think it's quite sweet too.

Oh yes I remember him.

dounoharm 03-12-2017 10:24 AM

more pics please!

PaphLover 03-12-2017 11:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh dear! It's a profile this orchid mama is struggling to love.

Well, I might just have to start calling my roth Jay Leno for his wonky 'chin'. I'm hoping this is just a first blooming flaw, but what do you think? Do you think it'll be a permanent deformity of the pouch? Or could he turn into a 'George Clooney' on subsequent bloomings? ;)
Attachment 125327

Could culture error on my part cause it? :shock:

I thought it looked so promising in the bud development photos with a nice, dark pouch. Sigh. :(

A closeup of his whiskers.
Attachment 125328