Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu



Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.


Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
Members O.C.D. Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Zone: 7b
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Age: 26
Posts: 107
Female
Default Getting different verdicts on these strange spots

My baby vanda is growing out a new leaf yay, but now that it's opening more i peeked inside and i saw tiny black dots on it, first i thought it was just a bit of the coconut husk that got in there but it wasn't. I did some looking around online and some people say it's from water not drying out from the leaves and others say it's fungus. I have no idea what it really is or what to do.
How do i treat it? some people suggested Dithane - M45
but i currently have garden safe fungicide 3.
picture of the leaf, and how the roots look.. hope roots are ok as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting different verdits on these strange spots-vanda.jpg   Getting different verdits on these strange spots-img_2217.jpg  

Last edited by Katsols; 03-04-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:35 PM
WhiteRabbit's Avatar
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: May 2008
Zone: 9a
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 20,531
Default

The small spots I see on the newest leaf in the first pic looks to me like the purplish spots they get from high light.

Not sure what the second pic is...
__________________
-Sonya

Where ever you go, there you are ...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Zone: 7b
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Age: 26
Posts: 107
Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
The small spots I see on the newest leaf in the first pic looks to me like the purplish spots they get from high light.

Not sure what the second pic is...
I'm getting myself paranoid, it looked similar to Phyllosticta Leaf Spot as well but i don't know... the second picture are some root tips that i wonder if they were affected by it or not.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:15 PM
WhiteRabbit's Avatar
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: May 2008
Zone: 9a
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 20,531
Default

Ok - I was looking at your photos on my phone previously - I'm on the computer now ... and now I am not so certain the spots are from high light ...

Is it just the one leaf that has them?
__________________
-Sonya

Where ever you go, there you are ...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Zone: 7b
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Age: 26
Posts: 107
Female
Default

Yes it's only that one leaf and it was open just slightly as it was growing. Now as it opened more i peeked inside and all those small black dots all over.. I sprayed fungicide 3 on it just in case.. i have no idea if it's gonna be contagious or if it's nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Zone: 6a
Location: Indianapolis IN
Age: 55
Posts: 707
Male
Default

I am like you - I can talk myself into paranoia about virus and fungus real easy - I would just keep it away from the other orchids for a while and monitor it - Some plants will spot due to water being left on the leaves or some other innocuous reason - spots are not always a sign of disease - some plants just freckle for odd reasons - I would just use my fungicide (I use Captan - just an old stand by that still works well for me) and relax a little - you can over scrutinize and make yourself a wreck over something that end up being nothing; I know from experience!
Best of luck to you - keep us updated.
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:09 AM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Zone: 7b
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Age: 26
Posts: 107
Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray59 View Post
I am like you - I can talk myself into paranoia about virus and fungus real easy - I would just keep it away from the other orchids for a while and monitor it - Some plants will spot due to water being left on the leaves or some other innocuous reason - spots are not always a sign of disease - some plants just freckle for odd reasons - I would just use my fungicide (I use Captan - just an old stand by that still works well for me) and relax a little - you can over scrutinize and make yourself a wreck over something that end up being nothing; I know from experience!
Best of luck to you - keep us updated.
Steve
Hope it's nothing.. what about the roots? you don't think it got those brown tips from the leaves.. did they?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:29 AM
Bud's Avatar
Bud Bud is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Zone: 7b
Location: Manhattan, NY
Age: 30
Posts: 7,502
View Bud's Gallery Male
Default

I am not worried about the black spots on the new leaf. I am worried about the yellowing tip of the leaf below it. If it is only the light then dont worry ....if it is really yellowing tip: cut it and dab some cinnamon on the wound at least save 1/3 of the leaf to help the plant.
The roots have some sort of whitish goo....put it in the sink and run the water on it and flush it all out clean....then spray with hydrogen peroxide (the peroxide will rule out fungi or bacteria) after the oxygen evaporates hydrogen peroxide become water which is hydrating the roots....win-win
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Zone: 7b
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Age: 26
Posts: 107
Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I am not worried about the black spots on the new leaf. I am worried about the yellowing tip of the leaf below it. If it is only the light then dont worry ....if it is really yellowing tip: cut it and dab some cinnamon on the wound at least save 1/3 of the leaf to help the plant.
The roots have some sort of whitish goo....put it in the sink and run the water on it and flush it all out clean....then spray with hydrogen peroxide (the peroxide will rule out fungi or bacteria) after the oxygen evaporates hydrogen peroxide become water which is hydrating the roots....win-win
Hey bud, the yellowing tip was always there since it arrived to me in the mail from hawaii. It hasn't gotten worse.. or better.. just plain yellow lol. Wow peroxide, sure i'll try i've never heard of that. Hopefully my vanpakblue will burst into growth (like my other tropical plants) as soon as i bring them out during the summer.

All you guys and gals are great for helping so much..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pamper.jpg (7.6 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
several new phals with strange spots and colors imgliniel Pests & Diseases 9 06-20-2010 03:43 AM
Which Phal? So Many to Choose From! Triffid Beginner Discussion 71 05-22-2010 03:26 PM
Oncidium with brown spots on leaves bmjayne Pests & Diseases 3 02-03-2010 01:51 PM
Strange black spots on catt libby Pests & Diseases 3 07-03-2009 09:16 AM
Strange leaf spots on vanda pr. mikassa Daemos Vanda Alliance - others 12 04-26-2008 09:50 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com

Clubs, ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0