Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu



Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.


Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
Register Members O.C.D. Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > ORCHID DISCUSSIONS > Pests & Diseases
Like Tree7Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM
SJF's Avatar
SJF SJF is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Zone: 6b
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 877
Female
Default Orchid with color break tested positive for ORSV

What is the etiquette for an orchid that tested positive for a virus when it is newly acquired? Do you gently tell the grower?
Attached Thumbnails
Orchid with color break tested positive for CymMV & ORSV-orchids-020.jpg   Orchid with color break tested positive for CymMV & ORSV-005.jpg   Orchid with color break tested positive for CymMV & ORSV-006.jpg   Orchid with color break tested positive for CymMV & ORSV-007.jpg  

Last edited by SJF; 02-01-2013 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern California, Los Angeles
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJF View Post
What is the etiquette for an orchid that tested positive for two viruses for a newly acquired orchid? Do you gently tell the grower?
Yes, that is a question that I keep pondering.

For an expensive plant that I recently purchased, I told the grower, I sent him 5 Agdia test strips so that he could try to find one that was not infected but all that he tested were infected. So now I have a store credit that I will use this spring when he has some more plants that I want. I have previously purchased a number of plants from him that were virus free. Other growers may not react as calmly to being told that the plant they sold is infected.

For the other virused plants that I have weeded out from my collection, I had had them long enough that I couldn't say for certain that they had not become contaminated while in my care (though I am certain that didn't hapen) so I have said nothing and just destroyed the plants. What I will do in my next round of purchasing I am still pondering. Very many growers have virus infected plants.
__________________
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:52 PM
SJF's Avatar
SJF SJF is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Zone: 6b
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 877
Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCampen View Post
Yes, that is a question that I keep pondering.

For an expensive plant that I recently purchased, I told the grower, I sent him 5 Agdia test strips so that he could try to find one that was not infected but all that he tested were infected. So now I have a store credit that I will use this spring when he has some more plants that I want. I have previously purchased a number of plants from him that were virus free. Other growers may not react as calmly to being told that the plant they sold is infected.

For the other virused plants that I have weeded out from my collection, I had had them long enough that I couldn't say for certain that they had not become contaminated while in my care (though I am certain that didn't hapen) so I have said nothing and just destroyed the plants. What I will do in my next round of purchasing I am still pondering. Very many growers have virus infected plants.
I think two vendors are the culprits for me. I am so upset. The pots, new potting soil. I just tested a second plant that is supposed to be easy to grow and flower that has never performed well. Positive for both, new gloves, new blades, medical background...no cross contam. I am so upset. When I am done I will have spent a lot on test kits and will be throwing away a lot of money in plants and supplies
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern California, Los Angeles
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJF View Post
... When I am done I will have spent a lot on test kits and will be throwing away a lot of money in plants and supplies
I have spent $600 (plus shipping) on Agdia test strips and I am a little more than halfway through testing my collection.
__________________
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM
SJF's Avatar
SJF SJF is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Zone: 6b
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 877
Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCampen View Post
I have spent $600 (plus shipping) on Agdia test strips and I am a little more than halfway through testing my collection.
it really is rotten that this happens
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,691
Default

Any decent seller should be sorry sending you sick looking flowers whether it is virused or not.
I would email him or her the picture of your flowers with heavy streaks along with test results pictures.

They had to be either careless in selecting plants, didn't know what to look for, or have bad eyes. lol.
Whatever the case, they do this for a living and charge money for plants (and why do people buy flowers? look is very important). They can do better.

Let us know what they say and how they react and if not so nice, please post the business so I don't deal with them.
SJF likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:25 PM
SJF's Avatar
SJF SJF is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Zone: 6b
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 877
Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCorchidman View Post
Any decent seller should be sorry sending you sick looking flowers whether it is virused or not.
I would email him or her the picture of your flowers with heavy streaks along with test results pictures.

They had to be either careless in selecting plants, didn't know what to look for, or have bad eyes. lol.
Whatever the case, they do this for a living and charge money for plants (and why do people buy flowers? look is very important). They can do better.

Let us know what they say and how they react and if not so nice, please post the business so I don't deal with them.
Thankfully, I flame all clippers between plants. I do this whether I am cutting bloom stems after flowering, trimming or re-potting. I even use clean q-tips and never double dip in my white glue cinnamon mix for cuts. I also wash my hands between each plant. I just wish growers would be as careful...I know time is $$$, but so is a bad rep. from customers who get sick, diseased plants. Obviously sometimes it isn't evident. My one plant has been a thorn in my side to get to bloom. I babied it, repotted it, fertilized it and the stinker was diseased from day one. Spots never changed and I thought maybe it was fungal and kept treating it. It was one of the easiest to grow and flower...not when virused...live and learn
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,691
Default

You sound kind of like me. I'm pretty anal about things that way, except I use disposable gloves instead of washing my hands between plants as my skin is dry.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:17 AM
SJF's Avatar
SJF SJF is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Zone: 6b
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 877
Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCorchidman View Post
You sound kind of like me. I'm pretty anal about things that way, except I use disposable gloves instead of washing my hands between plants as my skin is dry.
Yes, I don't want to chance error either. Almost done with pack of testing strips...yikes

The ones from TJ all seem clean. I think it is possible that Matsui tests before they clone and may have really clean benches. I have seen sickly looking plants in TJ, but usually due to neglect on the store level. When the plants first come in they seem to all look great. I can't always say that about the mixed ones in Whole Foods
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern California, Los Angeles
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJF View Post
Yes, I don't want to chance error either. Almost done with pack of testing strips...yikes

The ones from TJ all seem clean. I think it is possible that Matsui tests before they clone and may have really clean benches. I have seen sickly looking plants in TJ, but usually due to neglect on the store level. When the plants first come in they seem to all look great. I can't always say that about the mixed ones in Whole Foods
You might want to send TJs a compliment for using an orchid wholesaler that cares about the quality of their plants.
SJF likes this.
__________________
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orchid Nurseries Search Engine epiphyte78 Advanced Discussion 50 04-13-2014 08:29 AM
The S/H list ScottMcC Semi-Hydroponic Culture 26 04-14-2013 12:26 PM
FLORIDA ORCHID VENDORS; Plz add on if you know more here! Jkelee Vendor Feedback 50 05-21-2010 07:07 AM
The Black Orchid Graehstone Orchid Lounge 7 12-07-2007 07:56 AM
Oklahoma Orchid Society Show & Sale -11/17 & 18, 2007 Vandagal Orchid Show Announcements 0 11-09-2007 01:25 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com

Clubs, ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0