Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.


Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
Register Members O.C.D. Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > ORCHID DISCUSSIONS > Pests & Diseases
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
Default Yellowing of leaf, dried up root and white spots on Orchid bark??!!

I just got a Phal for mother's day, so about a week ago, from my kids. It was purchased at Sam's club and it's grown by Costa Farms.
We have an aunt who has lots of orchids throughout her apartment and said all she does is put 3 ice cubes a week on the bark, not on top of the roots, which is what I've been doing for watering. As soon as I got it, I noticed that 2 pieces of it's roots were dried up. Yesteday we noticed the 3rd leaf, from the bottom up turning yellow. So I know it's not aging. And when I tried to check other roots for any black spots or other things, I found that some of the bark had white spots. I just cut the dried up pieces of the roots, only 2 pieces about 2 inches long each. Does anyone know what this could be.
The plant is inside a plastic pot w/ holes that sits inside a clay vase w/ glaze only on the outside. It sits on my kitchen table and does not receive direct sunlight.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as Orchids are my favorite flowers and this is my 1st plant.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 05-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Zone: 4a
Location: Rumford, Maine
Posts: 2,672
Default

Welcome Lucy! Without pics, it's hard to say, but I would absolutely stop the ice cube routine.
To water your phal, use either one of two methods. Soak the plastic pot with roots and all in a tub of water that is room temperature for a few minutes, long enough so the roots can absorb the water it needs. Do not get water in the crown of the plant, though. Or hold the plant over the faucet (room temp water) until it's had a good soaking (again, avoid water going into the crown), then let drain. If you can see the roots, they will turn green and the pot will show moisture. Do not water again until the roots are somewhat whitish and you don't see the moisture beads any longer. It sounds like the ice has done some damage to the top roots, and that the plant is not getting sufficient water.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 05-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Zone: 4a
Location: Rumford, Maine
Posts: 2,672
Default

Oh, one more thing. I'm not sure what the white spots are without pictures. Does it look like a mealy bug? Or mineral/salt deposits? Pictures would definitely help.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 05-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Zone: 4a
Posts: 2,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki-do View Post
Welcome Lucy! Without pics, it's hard to say, but I would absolutely stop the ice cube routine.
To water your phal, use either one of two methods. Soak the plastic pot with roots and all in a tub of water that is room temperature for a few minutes, long enough so the roots can absorb the water it needs. Do not get water in the crown of the plant, though. Or hold the plant over the faucet (room temp water) until it's had a good soaking (again, avoid water going into the crown), then let drain. If you can see the roots, they will turn green and the pot will show moisture. Do not water again until the roots are somewhat whitish and you don't see the moisture beads any longer. It sounds like the ice has done some damage to the top roots, and that the plant is not getting sufficient water.
I'm sure KiKi meant to say hold the plant UNDER the faucet...........LOL

Al
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 05-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Zone: 4a
Location: Rumford, Maine
Posts: 2,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Song Farm View Post
I'm sure KiKi meant to say hold the plant UNDER the faucet...........LOL

Al
Al, I'm so glad you have my back! Whew! Yes, UNDER the faucet.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 05-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Zone: 4a
Posts: 2,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki-do View Post
Al, I'm so glad you have my back! Whew! Yes, UNDER the faucet.
Not to worry KiKi, we country bumpkins have to stick together!

It just struck me funny, I could picture the poor woman holding her plant over the faucet and wondering "why in H*** am I doing this?"
Al
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 05-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Zone: 7a
Location: Oregon
Posts: 928
Female
Default

Kiki if I was posting at 4:35 AM, I'd mess it up too. Go get some coffee. (It is magic....hold the orchid over the faucet....) Carol
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Zone: 4a
Location: Rumford, Maine
Posts: 2,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltingwacko View Post
Kiki if I was posting at 4:35 AM, I'd mess it up too. Go get some coffee. (It is magic....hold the orchid over the faucet....) Carol
Yup, yup, as I'm ready this I thought it read "Hold the coffee over the faucet"......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Zone: 7a
Location: Oregon
Posts: 928
Female
Default

Carol
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 05-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
Default We're returning it

I'm having a little bit of trouble resizing my pictures.
But since it has been only a week since we bought the plant, my husband has decided to try and return it and buy another plant later from a reliable seller. The roots already came looking funny, so I'm thinking that it was not properly cared for before. I'll definetely be back for some more info when I get a new plant. Thank you so much for letting me know on how properly water the plant I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
dried up root, white spots on bark, yellow leaf


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner Help peggy2187 Members' Displays 0 12-24-2007 10:28 AM
Green orchid root tips turn non-green Ross Advanced Discussion 14 07-02-2007 09:56 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com

Clubs, ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0