Bllra. Tahoma Glacier with Terrible Leaves
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Bllra. Tahoma Glacier with Terrible Leaves
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 01-26-2020, 10:16 AM
WaterWitchin's Avatar
WaterWitchin WaterWitchin is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Zone: 6a
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,426
Default Bllra. Tahoma Glacier with Terrible Leaves

This orchid was transferred to SH very late fall of 2018. Here it is in February 2019 in bloom.



It went outside all summer, got eaten by a few grasshoppers now and then, and I noticed the leaves were getting some strange marking/coloration on them. I have two Aliceara that were starting to look similar. (Beallara Aliceara, Tomato Tomahto) And of course a few Zygo and Onc that got some crappy leaves happening, but these didn't look the same.

Fast forward to the winter months. Brought everything inside, under lights. Minimum temp 65-68F Max 74F. Average humidity 48-50% RO water, KLite weakly. Most of the older Pbulbs either dropped their leaves or I cut them off. Now the newer growths are getting the same weirdness as the older ones had. Both Aliceara are doing the same.
Is this too much light? What the heck is going on? Guesses? Opinions? Questions?





Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-26-2020, 12:14 PM
aliceinwl aliceinwl is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Zone: 9b
Location: Central Coast of California
Posts: 902
Bllra. Tahoma Glacier with Terrible Leaves Female
Default

I have no idea whatís going on. Iíd be surprised if it is due to light. Iíve placed Oncidium types like these in areas getting too much light and never saw anything like this. How are the roots doing? I canít help wondering if itís something tied to the semi-hydroponic growing?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2020, 03:50 PM
WaterWitchin's Avatar
WaterWitchin WaterWitchin is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Zone: 6a
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,426
Default

I'd also be surprised if it's light. It's sitting by some paphs and phrags, one of which is more light sensitive by far. Some Onc, a couple of mounted Phals.

Roots are fine. I repotted it when I brought it inside for winter, since I was already seeing the problem on older leaves. Basically fresh LECA and a different pot (glass). I repotted quite a few, and nothing else looks like this. I've not seen it before either.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2020, 04:01 PM
rbarata rbarata is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Zone: 10a
Location: Abrantes
Posts: 3,912
Bllra. Tahoma Glacier with Terrible Leaves Male
Default

My Miltassia has the same pattern on it, similar to the ones I see in Cymbs.
I've read somewhere it's a virus but I really don't know.
__________________
Meteo data at my city here.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2020, 04:12 PM
Diane56Victor Diane56Victor is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Victor Harbor Sth Australia
Posts: 114
Bllra. Tahoma Glacier with Terrible Leaves Female
Default

Maybe a fungicide might help?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-26-2020, 05:36 PM
rbarata rbarata is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Zone: 10a
Location: Abrantes
Posts: 3,912
Bllra. Tahoma Glacier with Terrible Leaves Male
Default

In my plant I tried a fungicide and it didn't work.
Anyway, after 2 years it didn't spread to any other plants (not in the same location but the watering tools are common).
__________________
Meteo data at my city here.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes WaterWitchin liked this post
  #7  
Old 01-26-2020, 06:07 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,210
Bllra. Tahoma Glacier with Terrible Leaves Male
Default

Just as a test on a single plant - test only - we could see what happens if k-lite is applied for a while - as usual. But on some occasions during the month, apply a regular cal-mag treatment, and see if there are any improvements with the situation.

This is certainly hoping it's not virus-related (re: rbarata).

Since the other types of orchids aren't showing these symptoms, then it might well not be a chemical deficiency. But -hard to say how much supplements this type of orchid is taking in.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes WaterWitchin liked this post
  #8  
Old 01-26-2020, 06:25 PM
WaterWitchin's Avatar
WaterWitchin WaterWitchin is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Zone: 6a
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPark View Post
Just as a test on a single plant - test only - we could see what happens if k-lite is applied for a while - as usual. But on some occasions during the month, apply a regular cal-mag treatment, and see if there are any improvements with the situation.

This is certainly hoping it's not virus-related (re: rbarata).

Since the other types of orchids aren't showing these symptoms, then it might well not be a chemical deficiency. But -hard to say how much supplements this type of orchid is taking in.
Yes, I certainly hope not a virus. But I've not seen a virus that appears like this. And I find it interesting that it's only on the three Beallara/Aliceara which have the same issue.

My first thought was they almost seemed chlorotic. So yes, that may be a place to start. Was waiting to see if someone would put out that theory. (Not wanting to put suggestions in first.) I think I'll try that first. A CalMag supplement would be most easy and not harmful to experiment with.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes SouthPark liked this post
  #9  
Old 01-27-2020, 11:07 AM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 11,105
Bllra. Tahoma Glacier with Terrible Leaves Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWitchin View Post
Yes, I certainly hope not a virus. But I've not seen a virus that appears like this. And I find it interesting that it's only on the three Beallara/Aliceara which have the same issue.

My first thought was they almost seemed chlorotic. So yes, that may be a place to start. Was waiting to see if someone would put out that theory. (Not wanting to put suggestions in first.) I think I'll try that first. A CalMag supplement would be most easy and not harmful to experiment with.
If you're using a reasonable amount of K-Lite, cal-mag is unnecessary and may, indeed, be harmful if over-applied. If anything, I'd try Epsom Salts, first, but I seriously doubt that is a nutritional issue.

My first thought was guignardia/phyllosticta, but a proper fungicide ought to take care of that. (By "taking care of", I mean stop the spread, not repair the damage.) I suppose it could be bacterial - and the reason a fungicide wouldn't touch it - but that doesn't look like any bacterial infection I've seen. Next, I'm afraid I'd have to thing "virus" as well.

Were the plants that have succumbed to this exposed to any particular stress before this happened?

EDIT: It vaguely reminds me of mite damage, or the so-called "microfungus" that plagued phal growers some time back.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
shop.firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)

Last edited by Ray; 01-27-2020 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2020, 12:59 PM
WaterWitchin's Avatar
WaterWitchin WaterWitchin is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Zone: 6a
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
If you're using a reasonable amount of K-Lite, cal-mag is unnecessary and may, indeed, be harmful if over-applied. If anything, I'd try Epsom Salts, first, but I seriously doubt that is a nutritional issue.

My first thought was guignardia/phyllosticta, but a proper fungicide ought to take care of that. (By "taking care of", I mean stop the spread, not repair the damage.) I suppose it could be bacterial - and the reason a fungicide wouldn't touch it - but that doesn't look like any bacterial infection I've seen. Next, I'm afraid I'd have to thing "virus" as well.

Were the plants that have succumbed to this exposed to any particular stress before this happened?

EDIT: It vaguely reminds me of mite damage, or the so-called "microfungus" that plagued phal growers some time back.
Yes, a reasonable amount of KLite. It reminds me most of cercospora that gets on soybean leaves. Or the look of corn rust. No idea if orchids can get it, haven't looked at how to treat it. Perhaps guignardia/phyllosticta. The weird thing is the leaves just slowly turn yellow, develop that rusty haze that you see over the leave, starting at the tip, moving down. Never blisters, pustules, soft spots. No pests around. Haven't treated with anything yet other than a few doses of Innocur that everything gets.

It was a long hot VERY moist and humid summer. So it's always stressful when they're outside. It gets hotter here for probably 6-8 weeks in the summer than most orchids I have should be in. Now in winter, most are on the low end of temp range, with much lower humidity. We had so much rain this year, I was seeing lots of problems starting.

And the only three that are showing this are all Beallara. Never been next to each other (all three separated but on different racks). It started in early spring. Were it a virus, wouldn't it have shown up on something else by now?

Meanwhile, how about using Physan 20, with a light kicker of Epsom salts? I think I definitely need something systemic.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
aliceara, jpg, klite, leaves, water


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bllra. Tahoma Glacier & Her Buddy Dorothy WaterWitchin Orchids in Bloom 3 02-24-2019 09:47 AM
Bllra. Tahoma Glacier Green ruthann Beginner Discussion 9 07-01-2011 03:50 PM
Leaves on Phal are very droopy kagura Beginner Discussion 2 04-20-2008 10:04 PM
Bllra Tahoma Glacier 'Green' BikerDoc5968 Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance 7 03-29-2008 08:05 AM
My First Blooming Orchid Bllra. Hawaiian Glacier 'Queen Anne' freezedried74 Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance 3 12-10-2007 10:33 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.