Is this a sign of snails/slugs? (Vanda in vase culture)
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Is this a sign of snails/slugs? (Vanda in vase culture)
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > >
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-10-2019, 11:51 AM
DeaC's Avatar
DeaC DeaC is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2014
Zone: 6b
Member of:AOS
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 2,149
Is this a sign of snails/slugs? (Vanda in vase culture) Female
Thumbs up

OK...something I didn't think of but never had an issue with cockroaches. I'm still not convinced of the root nibbling tho. And you can put the beer to much better use!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes wisdomseeker liked this post
  #12  
Old 09-10-2019, 05:10 PM
wisdomseeker wisdomseeker is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: SE USA
Posts: 114
Is this a sign of snails/slugs? (Vanda in vase culture) Male
Default

Hope you find out who the "nibbler" is.

Slightly off track with the OP's thread... about a month ago I noticed some damage near the base of several leaves on a Neost. Lou Sneary x Rhy. coelestis that I've been growing in a terrarium for about a year and a half. Other orchids in the terrarium had no signs of damage.

After closely inspecting this plant, I noticed a small snail with several jelly-like deposits (eggs?). I destroyed the snail and removed the deposits. Everything has been okay since (no signs of snails or further plant damage).

What I find weird, is how (or where) this thing was introduced, especially since this is an established terrarium with no new plant additions (or general changes) for the past 9-10 months. Don't know what kind of snail it was (only saw one), but it kind of looked like an aquatic type snail. It caused a little bit of damage, but (fortunately) not a lot. Here's a pic (not the best detailed close-up), but maybe you can make out the snail near the middle of the plant with jelly deposits clustered above.

__________________
"The glory of the garden lies in more than meets the eye" ~ Rudyard Kipling
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-10-2019, 11:32 PM
Sommeil's Avatar
Sommeil Sommeil is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Zone: 8a
Location: Athens, Georgia
Posts: 48
Is this a sign of snails/slugs? (Vanda in vase culture) Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaC View Post
OK...something I didn't think of but never had an issue with cockroaches. I'm still not convinced of the root nibbling tho. And you can put the beer to much better use!
It does seem a bit out there, but that's all I got lol
Do you have another theory in mind?

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdomseeker View Post
Hope you find out who the "nibbler" is.

Slightly off track with the OP's thread... about a month ago I noticed some damage near the base of several leaves on a Neost. Lou Sneary x Rhy. coelestis that I've been growing in a terrarium for about a year and a half. Other orchids in the terrarium had no signs of damage.

After closely inspecting this plant, I noticed a small snail with several jelly-like deposits (eggs?). I destroyed the snail and removed the deposits. Everything has been okay since (no signs of snails or further plant damage).

What I find weird, is how (or where) this thing was introduced, especially since this is an established terrarium with no new plant additions (or general changes) for the past 9-10 months. Don't know what kind of snail it was (only saw one), but it kind of looked like an aquatic type snail. It caused a little bit of damage, but (fortunately) not a lot. Here's a pic (not the best detailed close-up), but maybe you can make out the snail near the middle of the plant with jelly deposits clustered above.

That does seem a bit unusual. Snail incubation is more or less 1 month, so it probably wasn't because it was a leftover egg.
Is the terrarium completely closed?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-11-2019, 12:19 AM
wisdomseeker wisdomseeker is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: SE USA
Posts: 114
Is this a sign of snails/slugs? (Vanda in vase culture) Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommeil View Post
Snail incubation is more or less 1 month, so it probably wasn't because it was a leftover egg.
Is the terrarium completely closed?
It's a mystery to me, and agree that it seems very unusual.

The terrarium is pretty much completely closed/sealed except for the ventilation strip under the front doors across the length of the tank, along with the slight gaps around the doors. Has a full size glass top with no gaps (36" x 18" x 18" exo-terra).

The only changes in the last 9-10 months had to do with re-mossing a couple of orchid mounts, and repotting a couple small phaps. Used fresh Orchiata bark from a remaining bag that I had sealed up in the pots, and fresh Spagmoss from a remaining bale I had sealed up for the mounts. Don't think it came from their end.

I would like to think the room where the terrarium resides is very clean and critter free, but what can I say: it's a mystery to me, and I have truly learned to never say never (e.g., that can never happen to me).
__________________
"The glory of the garden lies in more than meets the eye" ~ Rudyard Kipling
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 AM
Swimmingorchids Swimmingorchids is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 115
Is this a sign of snails/slugs? (Vanda in vase culture) Male
Default

hey wisdom,
you alright?
Must have been the moss you introduced. If it started as one lone baby snail it had 9 months to grow big enough to lay some eggs. That's what must have happened.

It's a good sign that you created an environment even a snail thrives in for 9 months heehee.

So back to the root damage - I just can't see how roaches could climb up a glass vase but sounds like they did.

I know that a layer of vaseline around the outside of the vase would prevent them getting in - but more importantly have you raised it off the ground yet sommeil?

Last edited by Swimmingorchids; 09-11-2019 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-11-2019, 09:09 AM
wisdomseeker wisdomseeker is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: SE USA
Posts: 114
Is this a sign of snails/slugs? (Vanda in vase culture) Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmingorchids View Post
hey wisdom,
you alright?
Must have been the moss you introduced. If it started as one lone baby snail it had 9 months to grow big enough to lay some eggs. That's what must have happened.

It's a good sign that you created an environment even a snail thrives in for 9 months heehee.
All is good (thanks for asking)! Had minimal damage from the recent storm... spent a day cleaning a crap-load of tree twigs/branches/pine cones out of the yard, due to the winds.

That is a very good possibility (the moss). Appreciate your input.
__________________
"The glory of the garden lies in more than meets the eye" ~ Rudyard Kipling
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-11-2019, 11:12 AM
DeaC's Avatar
DeaC DeaC is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2014
Zone: 6b
Member of:AOS
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 2,149
Is this a sign of snails/slugs? (Vanda in vase culture) Female
Default

St. Augustine Orchid Society - North Florida Orchid Growing may be helpful.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
culture, read, threads, treatment, vase


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water culture Vanda Irisha99 Beginner Discussion 28 04-13-2018 09:45 PM
Vanda Water Culture... Yazz Beginner Discussion 2 08-21-2015 09:49 AM
My vanda in glass lamp/ vase Buds! Vanda Alliance - others 36 11-13-2011 11:06 AM
Vanda in vase: problem & buds! Buds! Vanda Alliance - others 8 10-01-2011 01:10 PM
Bareroot Vanda into a vase cirillonb Vanda Alliance - others 3 05-18-2008 10:14 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.