KelpMax overdosing and chronic exposure?
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

KelpMax overdosing and chronic exposure?
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 02-09-2020, 05:02 PM
clintonsparsons clintonsparsons is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 24
KelpMax overdosing and chronic exposure?
Default KelpMax overdosing and chronic exposure?

Mods, wasn't sure where to post this so please move if it's the wrong place.

I have been using one capful of KelpMax per gallon of RO water, and I use that every time I water. Is there any risk of overdosing since the reccomendation is 1 tablespoon per gallon applied once monthly?

I'm not concerned about mineral buildup or root burn or anything, I'm just wondering if the hormones can be overdosed by using this concentration this frequently.

I am doing this because it's my understanding that using a concentration less than 1 tbsp/gal wont "step on the gas peddle", also because using a whole capful is easier than keeping up with a tablespoon (dont laugh), and because if I apply once per month I'm just going to forget about it and it won't end up being applied all. I am not concerned about being wasteful and spending more money in the long run.

If this concentration and frequency of application is NOT harmful, can plants become "immune" to the effects by concentrated continuous overexposure?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2020, 05:37 PM
DirtyCoconuts DirtyCoconuts is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida, East Coast
Posts: 906
KelpMax overdosing and chronic exposure?
Default

My understating is that you are accelerating the plantís metabolism and you can over use it to the point of burning the plant out
__________________
Rooted in South Florida....

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2020, 05:51 PM
Brian1212 Brian1212 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 11
KelpMax overdosing and chronic exposure?
Default

I don't quite understand your logic in what you are doing or why. Is it to get the maximum growth out of your plants because that is not really how it works, you can't just pump max nutrients into a plant ignoring salt buildup and nutrient burn. Doing so and ignoring the warning signs will do more harm than good.

When it comes to feeding orchids feeding less is better - they need minimal amounts and forcing more on to them will just stress them out, not make them grow faster.

Kelpmax is a booster - I would never use it by itself or to replace nutrients. Orchids can grow just fine without kelpmax but they will struggle without nutrients.

If the plant were a car engine you seem to want to pour only engine cleaner in cause its easier than using petrol and hope for the best. That is my understanding of your question. A car engine will benefit from an engine cleaner once in a while but it certainly won't replace the petrol and neither would any mechanic recommend pouring it in on every refill.

It's up to you what you do with the Kelpmax, I don't think it is toxic as such but Ray would be able to advise you more on the matter. Causing an imbalance - any imbalance is however something I cannot recommend which using that much kelpmax would surely do.

I understand wanting something easy to use so why not use a far more diluted dose on every watering so that overall it works out to what you should be feeding roughly in a month - that won't harm your plant vs feeding it once a month.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2020, 06:52 PM
WaterWitchin's Avatar
WaterWitchin WaterWitchin is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Zone: 6a
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,252
Default

Yep, easy fix. Dilute your Kelpmax. Or pour it into a different bottle with a smaller cap.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes DirtyCoconuts liked this post
  #5  
Old 02-10-2020, 09:07 AM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 10,983
KelpMax overdosing and chronic exposure? Male
Default

1) There are no inorganic mineral salts in KelpMax and the N, P, & K content is are very small and part of organic chemicals. Buildup is not a concern.

2) I just checked and a cap is 5 teaspoons (1-2/3 tablespoons), so in a gallon, that about a 1:150 dilution, which is more concentrated than the 1:250 recommendation for orchids, but less so than is recommended for vegetables, fruits, trees and shrubs (1:125).

3) Will they develop a tolerance? My gut says "no", but without first-hand knowledge, I'll temper that to "extremely unlikely".

4) KelpMax is quite unique in its action. While it does contain auxins, they are at a much lower level than is expected for the response level demonstrated (and lower than any other stimulant, natural or synthetic), so it is assumed (how would you find out?) that its interaction with the polyamines, alginates, and other polysaccharides is why it is so effective. Because of that, hormonal "burnout" is very unlikely.

5) That is not to say that burnout won't happen due to the overall stimulation with frequent use ("frequent" being undefined in this thread) of a greater concentration, but I have never seen nor heard of that happening. If anything, the "canary in the coal mine" will be flower deformities, but that has not been seen, either.

FWIW, there is a gentleman in northern Indiana who applies it at an ounce-per-gallon (1:128) weekly to his "giant" pumpkin vines. They grow, flower, and fruit great. Apparently, the "gauge weight" of a pumpkin - calculated from the physical dimensions - is usually close to the actual weight. His pumpkins were about 30% heavier than their gauge weights, due to extremely thick pulp layers. Great if you need a lot of pies, I suppose.

The bottom line is this, Clint: Your plants are the "guinea pigs", but I am experimenting with weekly application of a 1:80 dilution on a single, immature Phal. basitianiae plant, and have yet to see an issue.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
shop.firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2020, 03:55 PM
clintonsparsons clintonsparsons is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 24
KelpMax overdosing and chronic exposure?
Default

Thank you all for the detailed posts! I will have to read these in depth later, but I wanted to acknowledge that I appreciate the thorough input!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes WaterWitchin liked this post
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
concentration, gallon, kelpmax, tablespoon, water


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.