Planting Nun's Orchid outside - Zone 9b
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Planting Nun's Orchid outside - Zone 9b
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 05-19-2020, 10:23 AM
Orchidheart Orchidheart is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2020
Zone: 9b
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 4
Planting Nun's Orchid outside - Zone 9b Female
Smile Planting Nun's Orchid outside - Zone 9b

Hello everyone! This is my first post to the Orchid Board, and I'm excited to possibly gain some valuable feedback. I am fairly new to orchid gardening, although I've loved them from afar for many years. I started trying my hand at keeping them alive a little over a year ago. I currently have a few successfully mounted in trees in my yard and about 6 or 7 more growing happily in pots. I recently purchased a Phaius 'Lady Ramona Harris' at my local nursery. I understand that it's a terrestrial variety and I will probably have the best luck with it directly in the ground. I'm trying to decide where to put it. I have an area of relatively deep shade under a Japanese Fern tree where I have a spathoglottis ground orchid growing happily alongside few other shade plants. Other than that, I have some areas of partial shade in the yard as optional locations for the Nun's Orchid. I live in SWFL - zone 9b bordering 10a. Any tips or information will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-19-2020, 11:16 AM
DirtyCoconuts DirtyCoconuts is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida, East Coast
Posts: 1,954
Planting Nun's Orchid outside - Zone 9b
Default

heyo- i am just a touch below you and i grow my Phaius in really bright conditions.

I have it under a small shade palm in a very open part of my yard. in a 5 gallon pot.

I think that as long as you shelter them a bit from the 11-2 sun, they can handle our full sun fine
__________________
Rooted in South Florida....

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Orchidheart liked this post
  #3  
Old 05-19-2020, 11:35 AM
Orchidheart Orchidheart is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2020
Zone: 9b
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 4
Planting Nun's Orchid outside - Zone 9b Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts View Post
heyo- i am just a touch below you and i grow my Phaius in really bright conditions.

I have it under a small shade palm in a very open part of my yard. in a 5 gallon pot.

I think that as long as you shelter them a bit from the 11-2 sun, they can handle our full sun fine
Awesome - thank you! Hoping this reply goes to you. It sounds like I might want to consider one of my sunnier areas as opposed to deep shade. So a couple of follow up questions: 1) why keep yours in a pot instead of directly in the ground? I'm trying to avoid a pot, if possible. 2) how long have they been there and 3) how often do they bloom 4) Any special fertilizer/care? Sorry, I lied...lots of questions
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:30 PM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 11,368
Planting Nun's Orchid outside - Zone 9b Male
Default

The nicest Iíve ever seen were in the gardens at Bok Tower. Morning sun, then shade.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Orchidheart liked this post
  #5  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:40 PM
DirtyCoconuts DirtyCoconuts is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida, East Coast
Posts: 1,954
Planting Nun's Orchid outside - Zone 9b
Default

I choose a pot because i am a hoarder of plants and i want to be able to take everything with me LOL...only half kidding... I have had the plant for a year or two and it is slowly filling the pot, first one growth, then two, this year three. once it is too big for the pot i will divide it and put some in a nicer pot and the rest in the ground.

I get flowers from the spike for about 3 months of one or two flowers at a time sequentially blooming

i used K-lite fert in most of my waterings at 1/3 tsp per 3 gallons.

this is a "yard" orchid which means it is not treated as gingerly as the patio and lath house orchids so i do not give it the water as often as the others, both because it gets rained and because it is simply farther away from the house and i don't get to all the plants at one time and these are the most neglected.

if you do put them in the ground make sure you mix some sand and peat in to the mix to make sure it drains well as they don't want to sit in soggy dirt
__________________
Rooted in South Florida....

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Orchidheart liked this post
  #6  
Old 05-19-2020, 01:58 PM
Orchidheart Orchidheart is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2020
Zone: 9b
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 4
Planting Nun's Orchid outside - Zone 9b Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
The nicest Iíve ever seen were in the gardens at Bok Tower. Morning sun, then shade.
Love Bok Tower - will definitely be back for a visit there when I can. I have a spot that gets similar lighting - I think I'll try them there. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts View Post
I choose a pot because i am a hoarder of plants and i want to be able to take everything with me LOL...only half kidding... I have had the plant for a year or two and it is slowly filling the pot, first one growth, then two, this year three. once it is too big for the pot i will divide it and put some in a nicer pot and the rest in the ground.

I get flowers from the spike for about 3 months of one or two flowers at a time sequentially blooming

i used K-lite fert in most of my waterings at 1/3 tsp per 3 gallons.

this is a "yard" orchid which means it is not treated as gingerly as the patio and lath house orchids so i do not give it the water as often as the others, both because it gets rained and because it is simply farther away from the house and i don't get to all the plants at one time and these are the most neglected.

if you do put them in the ground make sure you mix some sand and peat in to the mix to make sure it drains well as they don't want to sit in soggy dirt
Haha - I wondered if that was why you kept them in a pot! I've considered that as well. I'm thinking I'll definitely go ahead & pot them & set them in a morning sun/afternoon shade spot like Ray suggested. That way I can move them if they don't seem happy. Advice on medium for potting? I'm thinking a mix of peat/perlite/bark? I have a little compost too...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2020, 02:22 PM
DirtyCoconuts DirtyCoconuts is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida, East Coast
Posts: 1,954
Planting Nun's Orchid outside - Zone 9b
Default

I donít know about the bark. Could be good, I have just never used it. I would add some sand and I think you are good.

I donít think they need a ton of fert but I am not sure. I donít think the compost would be needed.
__________________
Rooted in South Florida....

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Orchidheart liked this post
  #8  
Old 05-19-2020, 02:28 PM
Orchidheart Orchidheart is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2020
Zone: 9b
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 4
Planting Nun's Orchid outside - Zone 9b Female
Default

Awesome - thanks again for all the info, you've been super helpful!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ground, orchid, shade, yard, zone


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The S/H list ScottMcC Semi-Hydroponic Culture 34 03-15-2020 07:48 PM
Trip to Orchid Zone orchidsinstl Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum 2 04-12-2014 09:36 AM
Central Florida Orchid Society Show (April 5-6) FSUOrchids Orchid Show Announcements 1 04-06-2014 05:27 PM
The BEST Orchid Companion! epiphyte78 Off Topic - Totally 6 09-29-2013 06:04 PM
Nun's Orchid learning2letgo Beginner Discussion 7 04-06-2009 12:58 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.