A rant
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

A rant
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 10-12-2020, 06:06 PM
jcec1 jcec1 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,062
A rant
Default A rant

A recent purchase off eBay has just bloomed and it is not the plant i ordered. It wouldn't be one I would have bought, but I contacted the seller to find out what they were selling at the time that it could be - i was just wanting a positive id.

The vendor, who has a thriving orchid business on eBay, quickly responds and says, I probably mixed up the tags and thats why it wasn't what I was expecting.

I replied that wasn't possible as all the orchids in that area had bloomed, and I also wouldn't have purchased that type of orchid.

They then replied that it must have been an orchid from another Ebay seller that had been mislabelled.

Now, I only ordered this orchid about six weeks ago and clearly remember it as the spike was broken but had a side shoot.

Now, I feel really annoyed that the seller has shifted all responsibility - I wasn't looking for a refund or replacement just an ID - I know that things can be sometimes go awry.

I'll probably not order from them again, which is a pity as the other plants I've had from them have been good, but I'm just a bit bummed.

Rant over
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes SouthPark, estación seca liked this post
  #2  
Old 10-12-2020, 06:33 PM
DirtyCoconuts DirtyCoconuts is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida, East Coast
Posts: 4,049
A rant
Default

Post in the vendor section and name names. If they dont care about their products then they don’t care about their reputation and you’d be doing all of us a favor so we don’t get burned


Let me offer a converse. I had the same situation with a big seller and when I got blooms it was 6 months later. One email, two pictures and I got the correct plant in two days. THAT is how you do business.
__________________
Hi - All the ways I grow are dictated by the choices I have made and the environment in which I live. Please listen and act accordingly
--------------------------------------------------------------
Rooted in South Florida....

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 5 Likes
Likes SouthPark, estación seca, Subrosa, jcec1, MJG liked this post
  #3  
Old 10-12-2020, 07:28 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia, North Queensland
Posts: 3,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcec1 View Post
The vendor, who has a thriving orchid business on eBay, quickly responds and says, I probably mixed up the tags and thats why it wasn't what I was expecting.

I replied that wasn't possible as all the orchids in that area had bloomed, and I also wouldn't have purchased that type of orchid.

They then replied that it must have been an orchid from another Ebay seller that had been mislabelled.
It's no good when an ebay seller behaves in that kind of way. Disrespectful and disgusting.

That was good how you shared details about this incident.

For any option to take, I agree ...... I wouldn't ever buy from that person again for sure.

Hoping you can find the orchid you were after - from another seller!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes jcec1 liked this post
  #4  
Old 10-13-2020, 07:28 AM
jcec1 jcec1 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,062
A rant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts View Post
Post in the vendor section and name names. If they dont care about their products then they don’t care about their reputation and you’d be doing all of us a favor so we don’t get burned


Let me offer a converse. I had the same situation with a big seller and when I got blooms it was 6 months later. One email, two pictures and I got the correct plant in two days. THAT is how you do business.
I was 50/50 whether to name and shame, and wanted to get over my annoyance before I made any decision about posting anything about them.

Your experience was a much better outcome.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPark View Post
It's no good when an ebay seller behaves in that kind of way. Disrespectful and disgusting.

That was good how you shared details about this incident.

For any option to take, I agree ...... I wouldn't ever buy from that person again for sure.

Hoping you can find the orchid you were after - from another seller!
It was just an orchid I liked when browsing, so no big loss - which was why initially I was not that bothered by receiving a different one, but their response has just really annoyed me. I'll definitely not buy again from them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-13-2020, 08:47 AM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 12,432
A rant Male
Default

Raise a dispute with eBay. You did not get what you ordered. Failing that, do so with PayPal or your credit card company.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes jcec1 liked this post
  #6  
Old 10-13-2020, 09:00 AM
camille1585's Avatar
camille1585 camille1585 is offline
Administrator
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: middle of the Netherlands
Posts: 12,711
Default

I had the same thing happen with a normal vendor, though it took a year for the plant to bloom (wasn't quite blooming size at purchase). I sent an email in the same lines as yours, where I simply asked if they had an idea what it could be. I wasn't asking for a refund or return. I was rudely told that they always sell corrctly labeled plants, so it's not their problem.

I stupidly gave them another chance after that, and when I complained about an Oncidium type which arrived completely rootless their reply was that I shouldn't expect plants to always have good roots (because plants are living things), and that it was a perfectly healthy plant that would grow new roots in time. Needless to say, the plant died and I never ordered from them again. 10 years ago this was a fabulous vendor, but they downright awful now...

All this to say that I know how you feel...
__________________
Camille

Completely orchid obsessed and loving every minute of it....

My Orchid Photos
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes jcec1, estación seca liked this post
  #7  
Old 10-13-2020, 11:42 AM
jcec1 jcec1 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,062
A rant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille1585 View Post
I had the same thing happen with a normal vendor, though it took a year for the plant to bloom (wasn't quite blooming size at purchase). I sent an email in the same lines as yours, where I simply asked if they had an idea what it could be. I wasn't asking for a refund or return. I was rudely told that they always sell corrctly labeled plants, so it's not their problem.

I stupidly gave them another chance after that, and when I complained about an Oncidium type which arrived completely rootless their reply was that I shouldn't expect plants to always have good roots (because plants are living things), and that it was a perfectly healthy plant that would grow new roots in time. Needless to say, the plant died and I never ordered from them again. 10 years ago this was a fabulous vendor, but they downright awful now...

All this to say that I know how you feel...
That's a pity about your experience, if my vendor had just said sorry and we think it might be this orchid I would have been fine. To then make all the excuses under the sun is what annoys me. My lesson from you is dont order again, because it sounds like if there is a problem they will dodge all responsibility.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes estación seca liked this post
  #8  
Old 10-13-2020, 11:48 AM
jcec1 jcec1 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,062
A rant
Default

This is the offender BTW. I've named it Boris, (not quite what I was hoping for )

It should have been samera blue x yaphon bluebird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201013_154415.jpg (75.4 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes estación seca liked this post
  #9  
Old 10-13-2020, 01:34 PM
Leafmite's Avatar
Leafmite Leafmite is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Zone: 5b
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,782
A rant
Default

That is a really cool flower. It is really weird that they won't tell you the name of it.
__________________
I decorate in green!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes jcec1 liked this post
  #10  
Old 10-13-2020, 02:38 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia, North Queensland
Posts: 3,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcec1 View Post
This is the offender BTW. I've named it Boris, (not quite what I was hoping for )

It should have been samera blue x yaphon bluebird.
Oh geeez! I agree with LM. That is a nice one!!!!!!!!

That'll learn that ebay guy!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes jcec1 liked this post
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bloomed, ebay, orchid, replied, seller


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An Oncidium Mouse Rant Story... WaterWitchin Beginner Discussion 22 10-06-2019 12:30 PM
just a little rant! kindrag23 Beginner Discussion 14 09-09-2013 01:17 PM
My judging rant.... got ants Advanced Discussion 21 05-19-2013 03:11 AM
Dumped Puppy Rant Gin Off Topic - Totally 12 05-24-2009 11:12 AM
ebay rant CodiMN Off Topic - Totally 9 01-18-2008 10:04 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.