Cleaning up old ads
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Cleaning up old ads
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 08-29-2017, 02:15 AM
camille1585's Avatar
camille1585 camille1585 is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: middle of the Netherlands
Posts: 10,599
Default Cleaning up old ads

Now that I'm back on OB regularily, I was told (and then read in old threads) that the forum has a bit of a problem with old ads getting automatically bumped on a frequent basis and spamming the 'recent posts' lists.

I have been busy tracking down old, outdated ads and deleting them and the automatically generated threads/posts. If I accidently delete a recent, still active ad, oops, that was not my intention!

In coming weeks you should be seeing those old ads popping up less and less frequently.
__________________
Camille

Completely orchid obsessed and loving every minute of it....

My Orchid Photos
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 5 Likes
  #2  
Old 08-29-2017, 06:17 AM
Dollythehun's Avatar
Dollythehun Dollythehun is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Zone: 6a
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 1,819
Cleaning up old ads Female
Default

Thank you! You go girl!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2017, 06:45 AM
Subrosa's Avatar
Subrosa Subrosa is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Zone: 7a
Location: SE PA
Posts: 2,116
Cleaning up old ads Male
Default

Thank you!
__________________
Be who you are and say what you think. Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2017, 08:45 AM
rbarata rbarata is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Zone: 10a
Location: Abrantes
Posts: 2,069
Cleaning up old ads Male
Default

Thank you, Camille!
__________________
Meteo data at my city here.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-29-2017, 12:40 PM
fishmom's Avatar
fishmom fishmom is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Zone: 9b
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 633
Default

Many thanks! I know scrolling is my friend, but it has been a waste of space.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2017, 01:06 PM
jkofferdahl's Avatar
jkofferdahl jkofferdahl is offline
Senior Member
Cleaning up old ads
 

Join Date: May 2008
Zone: 7b
Location: Smyrna, Georgia
Age: 60
Posts: 2,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille1585 View Post
Now that I'm back on OB regularily, I was told (and then read in old threads) that the forum has a bit of a problem with old ads getting automatically bumped on a frequent basis and spamming the 'recent posts' lists.

I have been busy tracking down old, outdated ads and deleting them and the automatically generated threads/posts. If I accidently delete a recent, still active ad, oops, that was not my intention!

In coming weeks you should be seeing those old ads popping up less and less frequently.
This act alone qualifies you for Sainthood. Thank you!
__________________
People have failed me; a dog never has.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes katrina liked this post
  #7  
Old 08-30-2017, 09:17 AM
camille1585's Avatar
camille1585 camille1585 is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: middle of the Netherlands
Posts: 10,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkofferdahl View Post
This act alone qualifies you for Sainthood. Thank you!
I don't feel like a saint, you should hear me swearing at the classified section as I tackle the mountain of ads! I have investigated and closed/deleted about 50 of them already (have to find the original posting date, and and if it's old and the OP hasn't been active in years, I have no mercy).

Still another 80 ads that need to be checked... There seriously needs to be an automatic expiration date on them, requiring action from the OP to renew the ad.
__________________
Camille

Completely orchid obsessed and loving every minute of it....

My Orchid Photos
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Likes
Likes estación seca, fishmom, katrina liked this post
  #8  
Old 08-30-2017, 12:46 PM
jkofferdahl's Avatar
jkofferdahl jkofferdahl is offline
Senior Member
Cleaning up old ads
 

Join Date: May 2008
Zone: 7b
Location: Smyrna, Georgia
Age: 60
Posts: 2,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille1585 View Post
I don't feel like a saint, you should hear me swearing at the classified section as I tackle the mountain of ads! I have investigated and closed/deleted about 50 of them already (have to find the original posting date, and and if it's old and the OP hasn't been active in years, I have no mercy).

Still another 80 ads that need to be checked... There seriously needs to be an automatic expiration date on them, requiring action from the OP to renew the ad.
Truer words are rarely spoken. Is there a way to set up the ads so that they DO expire? I would think that in 99.99999% of the ads, a four month period would be more than enough. And if they DID expire it would be up to the advertiser to renew the ad, rather than us to look at it. Axe them all, and even consider axing a few posters thereof.
__________________
People have failed me; a dog never has.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-30-2017, 04:42 PM
Mountaineer370 Mountaineer370 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Zone: 5b
Location: Michigan
Posts: 267
Cleaning up old ads Female
Default

We are very grateful for your efforts, Camille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille1585 View Post
There seriously needs to be an automatic expiration date on them, requiring action from the OP to renew the ad.
I hope you can figure out a way to do this. It's much-needed!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2017, 01:53 AM
camille1585's Avatar
camille1585 camille1585 is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: middle of the Netherlands
Posts: 10,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkofferdahl View Post
Truer words are rarely spoken. Is there a way to set up the ads so that they DO expire? I would think that in 99.99999% of the ads, a four month period would be more than enough. And if they DID expire it would be up to the advertiser to renew the ad, rather than us to look at it. Axe them all, and even consider axing a few posters thereof.
I'll poke around in the settings I have access to, but I think that this sort of change is either admin level or something that Marty has to do...
__________________
Camille

Completely orchid obsessed and loving every minute of it....

My Orchid Photos
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
accidently, ads, automatically, delete, recent


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning for A Reason Foundation cb977 Off Topic - Totally 1 02-18-2017 11:50 AM
Cleaning with alcohol? twostride Pests & Diseases 9 10-25-2012 07:41 PM
cleaning your Humidifyer johnblagg Off Topic - Totally 9 01-29-2012 03:22 PM
Cleaning a vanda vase (logistical question!) Kaykay Vanda Alliance - others 7 10-01-2009 05:37 AM
House Cleaning in Ross's Orchidarium Ross Terrarium Gardening 19 02-19-2008 06:56 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.