Neobenthamia gracilis (The graceful Neobenthamia)
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Neobenthamia gracilis (The graceful Neobenthamia)
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #31  
Old 04-02-2020, 09:04 AM
brianwstephens's Avatar
brianwstephens brianwstephens is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Burlingame, CA
Posts: 274
Neobenthamia gracilis (The graceful Neobenthamia) Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isurus79 View Post
This one is a great little terrestrial. Itís been renamed Polystachya neobenthamia so itís no longer a monotypic genus. It gets about 2í tall when grown in full Texas sun, but Iíve heard of specimens growing over 6í tall looking for sun in shady conditions! Keep this in mind when growing it!
Yes they get HUGE. The greenhouse that I bought mine from has a mother plant that TOWERS over me and I'm 6' 4"😆
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-02-2020, 09:58 AM
DirtyCoconuts DirtyCoconuts is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida, East Coast
Posts: 1,914
Neobenthamia gracilis (The graceful Neobenthamia)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isurus79 View Post
This one is a great little terrestrial. Itís been renamed Polystachya neobenthamia so itís no longer a monotypic genus. It gets about 2í tall when grown in full Texas sun, but Iíve heard of specimens growing over 6í tall looking for sun in shady conditions! Keep this in mind when growing it!
I wonder if these taxonomists will just shuffle some families during the quarantine when they are bored!!!


the above is true...i have mine in a huge pot under an eave and last years plant was 3' and there are 3 growths this year coming up fast!!
__________________
Rooted in South Florida....

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-02-2020, 11:28 AM
brianwstephens's Avatar
brianwstephens brianwstephens is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Burlingame, CA
Posts: 274
Neobenthamia gracilis (The graceful Neobenthamia) Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts View Post
I wonder if these taxonomists will just shuffle some families during the quarantine when they are bored!!!


the above is true...i have mine in a huge pot under an eave and last years plant was 3' and there are 3 growths this year coming up fast!!
HAHA probably!!! 🤣🤣🤣

How wet do you keep yours?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-02-2020, 11:41 AM
DirtyCoconuts DirtyCoconuts is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida, East Coast
Posts: 1,914
Neobenthamia gracilis (The graceful Neobenthamia)
Default

i am starting to water it more...for the first bloom period i had been letting her only get rain water but this season has been drier and the plant is less vigorous so i have recently started watering it in the morning...fully soaking the pot as i water my other non-orchids and the soil is barely moist at all by night


i also have a large driftwood tree in the same pot with a terete vanda and some tillys so it is "leave it alone" pot and i sometimes forget about it. now that i am including it in the morning watering i expect it will be happier
__________________
Rooted in South Florida....

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-02-2020, 11:54 AM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 4,328
Neobenthamia gracilis (The graceful Neobenthamia) Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwstephens View Post
I know that this is a very old post, but I just got one of these and I'm wondering how cold tolerant they are. I live in the Bay Area and since they apparently love sun I was hoping to grow it outdoors.
I have one that I grew in the greenhouse for a number of years, that didn't do much. Then found out from a friend who also lives near the coast, just a bit south of me, that his does very well outside. I moved mine out last summer, it was out all winter, and is growing much better than it did in the GH. It's in a somewhat protected area, but winter lows are typically low 40's F with occasional nights that are lower. So... It seems to be a lot more cold-tolerant than it is given credit for.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Roberta's Orchids

What's blooming for Southern California Species hobbyists
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-02-2020, 12:30 PM
brianwstephens's Avatar
brianwstephens brianwstephens is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Burlingame, CA
Posts: 274
Neobenthamia gracilis (The graceful Neobenthamia) Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I have one that I grew in the greenhouse for a number of years, that didn't do much. Then found out from a friend who also lives near the coast, just a bit south of me, that his does very well outside. I moved mine out last summer, it was out all winter, and is growing much better than it did in the GH. It's in a somewhat protected area, but winter lows are typically low 40's F with occasional nights that are lower. So... It seems to be a lot more cold-tolerant than it is given credit for.
Wow that's great okay. It sounds like we have very similar weather I think I'm in 10b. I'm going to try a keiki outside and see how it does!

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts View Post
i am starting to water it more...for the first bloom period i had been letting her only get rain water but this season has been drier and the plant is less vigorous so i have recently started watering it in the morning...fully soaking the pot as i water my other non-orchids and the soil is barely moist at all by night


i also have a large driftwood tree in the same pot with a terete vanda and some tillys so it is "leave it alone" pot and i sometimes forget about it. now that i am including it in the morning watering i expect it will be happier
So you're giving it daily water?
All the keikis and aerial roots make it seem like it would like that...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 4,328
Neobenthamia gracilis (The graceful Neobenthamia) Female
Default

Mine gets daily water in summer, about every other day in winter. So I think damp is good.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Roberta's Orchids

What's blooming for Southern California Species hobbyists
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes brianwstephens liked this post
  #38  
Old 04-02-2020, 01:39 PM
brianwstephens's Avatar
brianwstephens brianwstephens is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Burlingame, CA
Posts: 274
Neobenthamia gracilis (The graceful Neobenthamia) Male
Default

Okay thanks! I'm glad that I asked. So excited for it to bloom someday!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-02-2020, 03:30 PM
isurus79's Avatar
isurus79 isurus79 is offline
Senior Member
American Orchid Society Judge
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Zone: 8b
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 40
Posts: 8,280
Default

I hit mine with water at the same rate I hit my Cattleyas. Everyday when temps above 95, every other day with temps 85-94, and a few times a week when temps are "chilly" (below 85).
__________________
Pics on Flickr

Instagram

YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-13-2020, 09:59 PM
Afid's Avatar
Afid Afid is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2019
Zone: 4a
Location: Montana, U.S
Posts: 287
Neobenthamia gracilis (The graceful Neobenthamia) Male
Default

Mine just arrived today!! It came way early and without notification from the postal service so it got a little chilly (it sat around in the package box in below-freezing weather) for about an hour, but it seems to be fine by some miracle.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes brianwstephens liked this post
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
flower, mix, neobenthamia, orchid, week, graceful, gracilis


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brasiliorchis gracilis Luis Renato Maxillaria Alliance 4 02-15-2013 02:08 PM
Neobenthamia gracilis pheli Miscellaneous & Other Genera 4 07-25-2012 09:56 PM
Neobenthamia gracilis pheli Miscellaneous & Other Genera 8 04-14-2011 04:01 PM
Neobenthamia gracilis nancy Miscellaneous & Other Genera 6 04-19-2010 11:33 PM
Neobenthamia gracilis Rosim_in_BR Miscellaneous & Other Genera 1 07-23-2009 09:06 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.