Hi Sue et al...
I've been watching the e-mails go zipping back and forth--and taking note of the dark clouds that have been forming; perhaps we could change the guidelines a bit and see what that does...
1. Let's figure out who will be participating in each of the climate groups--it seems like a moot point for me to be nominating/narrowing plants for the warm/hot group if I am not going to be growing/participating in plants from that group. We should also try to set a deadline for signing up for this project--we want everyone to be able to participate, but it sucks when things get whittled down and then someone throws another list of plants at you; perhaps if you join after a certain date you just agree to adding input, but sitting out on bringing new plants to the table. Say perhaps 15 August
2. Since everyone is up in arms about the entire hybrid/species thing, I motion that we limit ourselves to species, unless it can be proven that the hybrid in question is available in the EU/Canada/S. America/Asia--before you make a hybrid suggestion, please do a little googling or use the nursery search that was devised in the last project.
3. Because of the confusion over prior list plants and the entire voting for numbers process, I move that after we have our temperature group "members", each member is to nominate 2 plants for their group. We can do our discussion, polling, etc. based on the lists that we create--again, before a nomination is made, please do a little homework to see if it is available readily, if it fits the size requirements, etc. As per above, we need to establish a deadline for this process as well. Say 20 Aug
4. Polling: I have been rolling this one around in my head--in lieu of assigning numbers to our plants I motion that we publish our plants only by genus in a poll (no hyperlinks, no photos) IOW, if there are five plants on the list to be polled, Masdevallia tovarensis, Cymbidium mastersii, Cymbidium lowianum, Calanthe tricarnata & Calanthe brevicornu, the poll would simply state: -Cymbidium -Cymbidium -Masdevallia -Calanthe -Calanthe;
Each group participant gets two votes (persons not participating in a climate group do not get to vote). Obviously if there is only one Cattleya on the proposed list we are all going to know what it is--and if we all get a cattleya sans tag from a vendor, likewise we are going to have a clue... The list from which we are polling should be in random order, and the species which accompany the genus should be known only to the keeper of the list. Sidebar
Sue: is it possible to make a poll only available to members of each list? Say the 25 members of the warm group are the only ones that have access to vote in the poll--any member of the board may view the poll, but only those participating can cast a vote?
5. After polling: Sue or whomever will take the top ten (which all the groups have voted on and submitted) and narrow it to 5 plants (using whatever arcane methods they have at their disposal...I for one use the stair method); the final 5 will then be assigned those dreaded numbers (or maybe we should give them colors...
) Group participants may select their personal favorite from the resulting poll #'s 1-5 (or blue, yellow, green, red or purple...) and off we go
Anyways, just my