Sponsor

Google

Fauna Top Sites
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 AM

Zone: 6a
High Output Florescent lights Male
Default High Output Florescent lights

Hey everyone !
I went to Home Depot yesterday and found a two-tube, T5, High Output florescent light strip - $39.97 in Indianapolis. The two HO bulbs cost an additional $20.00 and I have yet to purchase the power cord (they will get you on anything), which is hopefully under $20.00. It is rated at 8900 lumens and has a efficient, low heat, digital ballast. It claims to put out 2X's the light of a comparable standard T5.
Phillips puts out the bulbs I have (F54T5/TL841/HO/ALTO), and they state that they put out 5000 lumens (?). The box gives the following ratings: color Rendering Index of 85; color temperature of 4100 k, wattage of 54.
I know nothing about these, or florescent lights in general, and the man at the store stated they were new to the market. The fixture is put out by Lithonia brand, but Sylvania is advertising the same thing and obviously Phillips is at least supplying bulbs. I was told they will ONLY use HO bulbs, but I am a little stumped about the difference lumens of the fixture and the bulb; did I just buy a dimmer bulb? It was the only bulb they had for these fixtures.
Has anyone had any experience with or know anything about the usefulness of of these related to orchid / plant growing? What does the color rating and color temperature indicate to you?
Any feedback is really appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Last edited by Stray59; 12-06-2012 at 11:45 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 PM

HO lights have been used for a good bit for planted aquariums and also for orchids, they just havent hit stores like home depot until recently. a HO light gives off significantly more light than a NO (normal output) light so they are definitely worth it! you might be able to get them cheaper online though (although you might not)

as far as color temperature, 6500k is the closest thing to sunlight so its what i use and what ive seen people recommend. although 10000k if i understand correctly is also useable, but things like soft white (2500k) arent as good.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Zone: 7b

T5's are great for indoor growers, and definitely go with HO fixtures and lamps. I'd avoid the 10000k bulb, and stick to a 6400K, with maybe a 3000K bulb thrown in for some more red spectrum. 6400K alone though will work great. I'll also say I think you can get a much better price on these fixtures, and bulbs online. Hydrofarm and Quantum's are the best in my experience. Good luck
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Call_Me_Bob liked this post
Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM

Zone: 5a

Hi Bob,
I think 10,000k is in the ultraviolet range- not where I can look it up, though.
Likes Call_Me_Bob liked this post
Old 12-06-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Star View Post
Hi Bob,
I think 10,000k is in the ultraviolet range- not where I can look it up, though.
really? thats odd. we use it for planted aquariums all the time, usually along side a 6700k but sometimes alone.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM

Zone: 3b

Im not much of an aquarium person, but I believe the reason higher Kelvin bulbs are used in the aquarium hobby has something to do with how the light is filtered through the water.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
Im not much of an aquarium person, but I believe the reason higher Kelvin bulbs are used in the aquarium hobby has something to do with how the light is filtered through the water.
maybe, i dont think so though, because we grow aquarium plants emersed (without water) under the same lights. either way though, id still go for the 65-6700k
Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Thanks for all the input;
Unfortunately, the only bulbs I have at this time are 4100k; I may have to throw some other bulbs with it to give a full spectrum, but I am not sure where to turn. I will look on line for a 6000+k, but hate ordering fragile bulbs through the USPS. I guess they will be okay, but I have always avoided such due to breakage .
When this all started, I purchased some aquarium bulbs but was told that they would not work. Even the pet store manager, who had to give me money back stated that aquarium bulbs are designed to illuminate through the water and that they were not compatible with open-air plants. Not sure, but he had to refund almost $45.00 and this place does not like to give back money, so I took him at his word. Not sure myself, but just need to get lights that will nourish my orc's!
Again, any additional info is appreciated.
Steve
Old 12-07-2012, 02:18 AM

zxyqu
I went to both Quantum and Hydrofarm websites and I hate to report that their products must have gone up in cost. Neither site had a 4' double-bulb T5 HO fixture for less than $100.00; with everything added up I got my fixture, cord and bulbs for $67.00; as I am on a very short, very thin shoestring, I will probably continue with Home Depot for the fixtures right now.
This unit was set up so that it could be hooked in a series of up to 8 fixtures, which may come in handy someday as I hope to have 8 growing shelves set up eventually.
I was glad to see that both sites had the selection of bulbs I wanted, and reasonably priced, so I will use them; pl;us they had a selection of add-on items that I liked very well.
Indianapolis (my hometown now) has two hydroponic stores that I know of. One is very pricey, although very nice, the other is smaller and very reasonable. He stocks the T5 fixtures and bulbs, but his cheapest 2 bulb fix. was 119.00 - Again Home Depot wins.
Thanks for the heads-up - I will be exploring these sites further .
Call-me-bob:
I still have no definate answer on the aquarium light usage. If yo use it and it works, then it works. But I was directed differently. I wonder if the plants worry about this stuff like we do -!
Steve

Last edited by Stray59; 12-07-2012 at 02:21 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray59 View Post
zxyqu
I went to both Quantum and Hydrofarm websites and I hate to report that their products must have gone up in cost. Neither site had a 4' double-bulb T5 HO fixture for less than $100.00; with everything added up I got my fixture, cord and bulbs for $67.00; as I am on a very short, very thin shoestring, I will probably continue with Home Depot for the fixtures right now.
This unit was set up so that it could be hooked in a series of up to 8 fixtures, which may come in handy someday as I hope to have 8 growing shelves set up eventually.
I was glad to see that both sites had the selection of bulbs I wanted, and reasonably priced, so I will use them; pl;us they had a selection of add-on items that I liked very well.
Indianapolis (my hometown now) has two hydroponic stores that I know of. One is very pricey, although very nice, the other is smaller and very reasonable. He stocks the T5 fixtures and bulbs, but his cheapest 2 bulb fix. was 119.00 - Again Home Depot wins.
Thanks for the heads-up - I will be exploring these sites further .
Call-me-bob:
I still have no definate answer on the aquarium light usage. If yo use it and it works, then it works. But I was directed differently. I wonder if the plants worry about this stuff like we do -!
Steve
it is what it is, people have different opinions on things, and thats fine. for as long as ive been growing planted aquariums, ive never heard that water changed spectrum until here. either way though, i did say "id still go for the 65-6700k"

does home depot fixture have a good reflector? because without a good reflector, you end up "wasting" alot of light. with better reflectors youll get more light for your....i found this, its $100 for a 4ft 2 bulb...although its still more than $67..if you wanted to splurge/save and just get a 4ft 4 bulb fixture, theres a hydrofarm on amazong for $120..thats what im planning on getting, because im due for an upgrade
Likes Stray59 liked this post