Sponsor

Google

Fauna Top Sites
Register Members Today's Posts
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > >

Old 09-14-2009, 12:25 AM

Default Questions about growing Epc. Renee Marques ‘Flame Thrower’

Hi there,

I have recently acquired a small Epc. Renee Marques ‘Flame Thrower’ orchid which has three leafy canes and two canes without leaves which are all about 8cm tall.

I am just wondering what conditions this orchid thrives in.

I was also wondering how big it has to get before it will bloom for the first time.

I am currently growing it in a clear plastic pot in fairly coarse orchid bark potting mix on the kitchen windowsil which gets strong but not direct sunlight. It is always fairly humid as it is above the kitchen sink!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mossmac

P.S. Was also wondering if the flowers of Epc. Renee Marques ‘Flame Thrower’ have any scent?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:52 AM

Zone: 9a
Male

The plant needs to be about 20 inches tall to bloom.

There is no fragrance.

It is a slow picky grower but it is hardy. I find that annual re-potting helps some. Old bark seems to slow growth even more.

I have lots of them but they were damaged in a freeze the winter before last and only starting to grow well again. Because of the freeze the slow growth I have may not be typical. Still they survived 25 degrees.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply. I guess I'll be waiting some time then before it blooms for the first time! Sounds like it is a pretty slow grower too! However, when it does flower, I'm sure it will have been worth the wait as the photos I have seen of the blooms are gorgeous!

I got the one I have off Ebay a few weeks ago. I had previously just missed out on getting a large one (at least 20 inches tall) as I was outbid in the last few seconds of the auction!! Anyway, that's how it goes sometimes! This particular orchid always seems to go like hotcakes on Ebay so I was overjoyed at getting the one that I now have!

Thanks for your advice about annual repotting. I will do this too in the hope that it might encourage faster growth.

Sounds like even though they are slow growing, they are pretty tough things!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Zone: 9a

I have a Rene Marques and it has bloomed without getting to 20". Mine is mounted and about 12" tall right now.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:46 AM

Zone: 7a
Member of:AOS
Male

I got a 'Tyler' plant last summer that was in bark, and I thought in sheath. It did absolutely nothing for almost a year, except put out a few small, wrinkled leaves. I shifted it to pure sphagnum moss this summer, and it has put out a new growth that is about six inches tall, and looks much better. I guess they can be tricky until you find what works for your particular conditions. We'll see how it does this time around.

Kim