Old cattleya collection haven't bloomed for over 40 years
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Old cattleya collection haven't bloomed for over 40 years
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > >
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-20-2021, 10:33 PM
Jeremy T Jeremy T is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 30
Old cattleya collection haven't bloomed for over 40 years
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estación seca View Post
Healthy Catts regularly make more than one new growth per pseudobulb. In the tropics I would regard one pseudobulb per growth per year as poor growth.

I would try would be even more light, more fertilizer and more watering.

What fertilizer do you use? How do you mix it? How often do you fertilize?

Try to give enough light that the leaves are closer to yellow than green.
Thanks. I will need to ask my mom (in her late 70s). As far as i know she uses the same fertilizer on every orchids at least once a week. Not sure of the brand but i suspect it may be one of those popular brand recommended by the nursery. The new hybrids bloom with what ever routine she is doing.

Will definitely ask some friends to help her move these old cattleyas where it can get direct morning sun early in the morning + 50% shade when the sun will rise over above her orchid tent. See how that goes.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-21-2021, 07:48 AM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 12,569
Old cattleya collection haven't bloomed for over 40 years Male
Default

There are some cattleyas that require short days to trigger blooming, something that doesn’t happen at the equator.

Commercial nurseries that grew catts for cut flowers would blanket the benches with black cloth in late afternoon through morning for a few weeks to simulate that, so they could be “forced” for specific holidays, like Easter.

Considering the age of the plants, it seems likely that they could be such species or early hybrids involving them that might still have such strong tendencies that have been bred out of newer hybrids.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes rbarata liked this post
  #13  
Old 02-21-2021, 01:27 PM
Paphluvr's Avatar
Paphluvr Paphluvr is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Zone: 5a
Location: Base of the "Thumb", MI, USA
Posts: 1,163
Old cattleya collection haven't bloomed for over 40 years Male
Default

Are they grown in pots? When was the last time they were put into fresh media?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-21-2021, 01:34 PM
DirtyCoconuts's Avatar
DirtyCoconuts DirtyCoconuts is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida, East Coast
Posts: 4,281
Old cattleya collection haven't bloomed for over 40 years
Default

What dedication

Just for reference my Catt species put 5-15 growths in a year with at least two seasons. I am more temperate than she is. There is something missing for their happiness.
I agree. Determine the food supply and then adjust the light gradually for an experiment
__________________
Hi - All the ways I grow are dictated by the choices I have made and the environment in which I live. Please listen and act accordingly
--------------------------------------------------------------
Rooted in South Florida....

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-21-2021, 04:33 PM
Jeremy T Jeremy T is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 30
Old cattleya collection haven't bloomed for over 40 years
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
There are some cattleyas that require short days to trigger blooming, something that doesn’t happen at the equator.

Commercial nurseries that grew catts for cut flowers would blanket the benches with black cloth in late afternoon through morning for a few weeks to simulate that, so they could be “forced” for specific holidays, like Easter.

Considering the age of the plants, it seems likely that they could be such species or early hybrids involving them that might still have such strong tendencies that have been bred out of newer hybrids.
Thank you. Will get someone to help her with that.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-21-2021, 04:33 PM
Orchidtinkerer Orchidtinkerer is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 436
Old cattleya collection haven't bloomed for over 40 years
Default

like DC I agree, some decication to keep them around for 40 years without blooms.

Ray has given excellent advice.

I will also add possible reasons being that they could have picked up a virus which would make them weaker,
they could have hidden pests feeding on them, after 40 years outdoors with no winters that is a high probability imo and that can inhibit flowering too.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-21-2021, 04:56 PM
Jeremy T Jeremy T is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 30
Old cattleya collection haven't bloomed for over 40 years
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paphluvr View Post
Are they grown in pots? When was the last time they were put into fresh media?
In same clay pots with same original big chunks of charcoals and broken pieces of clay pots as media.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidtinkerer View Post
like DC I agree, some decication to keep them around for 40 years without blooms.

Ray has given excellent advice.

I will also add possible reasons being that they could have picked up a virus which would make them weaker,
they could have hidden pests feeding on them, after 40 years outdoors with no winters that is a high probability imo and that can inhibit flowering too.
Thanks. Sounds like I will help her repot all the old cattleya when I can finally visit her.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts View Post
What dedication

Just for reference my Catt species put 5-15 growths in a year with at least two seasons. I am more temperate than she is. There is something missing for their happiness.
I agree. Determine the food supply and then adjust the light gradually for an experiment
Wow that's lot of growth. Will discuss a plan with my mom to for the best way to introduce changes to these cattleyas. It has been over 40 yrs, so, there is no harm trying.
Fingers cross and thank you.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes DirtyCoconuts liked this post
  #18  
Old 02-24-2021, 02:48 PM
Merita Merita is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2017
Zone: 9b
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 246
Old cattleya collection haven't bloomed for over 40 years Female
Default

I am not an expert but I would change the substrate and put one without charcoal. How many times in these years has she done it?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-25-2021, 06:02 AM
Jeremy T Jeremy T is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 30
Old cattleya collection haven't bloomed for over 40 years
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merita View Post
I am not an expert but I would change the substrate and put one without charcoal. How many times in these years has she done it?
Never been changed, all in the original media (broken clay pots, charcoal and in fact a few pieces of broken bricks) from over 40 years ago.

The only pot that i tempered by splitting into 3 pots (where one died) and BLOOMED is the one where the roots just wouldnt budge from the pot so it was kept in the same old pot and old media.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-25-2021, 09:50 AM
Merita Merita is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2017
Zone: 9b
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 246
Old cattleya collection haven't bloomed for over 40 years Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy T View Post
Never been changed, all in the original media (broken clay pots, charcoal and in fact a few pieces of broken bricks) from over 40 years ago.

The only pot that i tempered by splitting into 3 pots (where one died) and BLOOMED is the one where the roots just wouldnt budge from the pot so it was kept in the same old pot and old media.
If in 40 years with all the conditions they do not flower, a change of substrate would not hurt, many times when the charcoal is not truly vegetable it can harm the plant.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bloom, blooming, cattleyas, collection, multiple


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cattleya Heathii OR not? terryros Cattleya Alliance 9 11-21-2020 10:14 AM
FLORIDA ORCHID VENDORS; Plz add on if you know more here! Jkelee Vendor Feedback 50 05-21-2010 07:07 AM
Building a Cattleya Collection peeweelovesbooks Cattleya Alliance 27 01-16-2009 07:34 PM
Cattleya silvana Pabst Rosim_in_BR Cattleya Alliance 12 03-30-2008 05:50 PM
This year's last Cattleya Hardyana Rosim_in_BR Cattleya Alliance 4 12-17-2007 03:27 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.