Wrong ID Cattleya
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Wrong ID Cattleya
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 10-28-2020, 04:50 PM
nobile7 nobile7 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
Wrong ID Cattleya
Default Wrong ID Cattleya

Hi everyone. I got this Cattleya at Lowe’s San Diego last week while in bud. It was grown by Gubler’s. The tag says Rlc. Village Chief Armani 'Red Dragon,' but the flower looks nothing like it. Do you have any idea what the ID might be?

Wrong ID Cattleya-c56b7b80-d71f-432f-95c3-2439d6634575-jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2020, 05:09 PM
estación seca's Avatar
estación seca estación seca is offline
Senior Member
Wrong ID Cattleya
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Zone: 9b
Location: Phoenix AZ - Lower Sonoran Desert
Posts: 11,437
Wrong ID Cattleya Male
Default

I don't know. Go to the Gubler Web site and look at what they're selling.
__________________
It's a dry heat.
Weather forecast for
my neighborhood
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2020, 05:23 PM
nobile7 nobile7 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
Wrong ID Cattleya
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estación seca View Post
I don't know. Go to the Gubler Web site and look at what they're selling.
Have you looked at Gubler’s website before making such a suggestion?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2020, 06:01 PM
estación seca's Avatar
estación seca estación seca is offline
Senior Member
Wrong ID Cattleya
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Zone: 9b
Location: Phoenix AZ - Lower Sonoran Desert
Posts: 11,437
Wrong ID Cattleya Male
Default

No. I personally wouldn't try to track down a NOID.
__________________
It's a dry heat.
Weather forecast for
my neighborhood
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2020, 02:38 AM
Leafmite's Avatar
Leafmite Leafmite is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Zone: 5b
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,661
Wrong ID Cattleya
Default

I just checked their website. They look like a very nice, legit business. You should either call them and ask if you could send them a picture for identification or just email them a picture of your orchid, explain that the tag must have gotten mixed up at Lowes, and ask them if they have any idea what your Cattleya might be. The nicer your are, the more likely that they will respond to your inquiry. It might take a few days as they do wholesale and it is quite a large business.

Here is the contact info:

Gubler Orchids Visit Us

Another interesting thought...it might be the right orchid but much redder when blooming during cooler temperatures. If the orchid was kept warm while the bud was developing, it might just be lacking the red pigment. I have had this happen with Cattleyas as well as other orchids. No idea. I would need to spend more time studying the photos.
__________________
I decorate in green!

Last edited by Leafmite; 10-29-2020 at 02:43 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2020, 03:05 AM
nobile7 nobile7 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
Wrong ID Cattleya
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafmite View Post
I just checked their website. They look like a very nice, legit business. You should either call them and ask if you could send them a picture for identification or just email them a picture of your orchid, explain that the tag must have gotten mixed up at Lowes, and ask them if they have any idea what your Cattleya might be. The nicer your are, the more likely that they will respond to your inquiry. It might take a few days as they do wholesale and it is quite a large business.

Here is the contact info:

Gubler Orchids Visit Us

Another interesting thought...it might be the right orchid but much redder when blooming during cooler temperatures. If the orchid was kept warm while the bud was developing, it might just be lacking the red pigment. I have had this happen with Cattleyas as well as other orchids. No idea. I would need to spend more time studying the photos.
Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. I think Gubler is an amazing company. I have several orchids from them through the years. I did email them today and they replied back immediately: "Our records indicate that that does look to be a Village Chief Armani 'Red Dragon. But we do have old cattleyas that could be from the same family."

It's quite possible your thoughts about the temperature affecting the color. Also, it is quite possible that the photographs online are that of one of the parents, Rlc. Shinfong Beauty. The parents of the Rlc. Village Chief Armani 'Red Dragon' are Rlc. Shinfong Beauty x C. Tainan City. However, it seems to be too drastic of a color difference. This site has the 'Red Dragon' as quite a bold red. And this site, a hot pink...

Also, there were at least 4 other pots of this labeled variety at Lowe's San Diego. I hope it's not a mass mislabeling incident.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2020, 08:25 AM
Orchidtinkerer Orchidtinkerer is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 99
Wrong ID Cattleya
Default

I have seen some startling differences in color due to temp, so much so you would not know it was the same flower so this must be one of them and colder nights on the next flowering might create a deeper red.

First blooms are generally not as well colored as subsequent blooms. The shape looks to be accurate even if that means little. Try sticking it outside (as long as its not under 50F) at night for next flowering and see if that makes a difference.

Ps: can I ask if it has a fragrance?

Last edited by Orchidtinkerer; 10-29-2020 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2020, 10:34 AM
DirtyCoconuts DirtyCoconuts is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida, East Coast
Posts: 3,610
Wrong ID Cattleya
Default

if you can, go to the store again and see if any of the other pots have a different tag and snap a pic of it....sometimes, the person who unloads the truck will not realize where a tag may have come from and just sticks it back into a plant close to it not realizing that those little things may matter to someone else.

it is a longshot but i have gotten lucky with a similar situation here at Home Depot
__________________
Hi - All the ways I grow are dictated by the choices I have made and the environment in which I live. Please listen and act accordingly
--------------------------------------------------------------
Rooted in South Florida....

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2020, 04:25 PM
nobile7 nobile7 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
Wrong ID Cattleya
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts View Post
if you can, go to the store again and see if any of the other pots have a different tag and snap a pic of it....sometimes, the person who unloads the truck will not realize where a tag may have come from and just sticks it back into a plant close to it not realizing that those little things may matter to someone else.

it is a longshot but i have gotten lucky with a similar situation here at Home Depot
Wish I could, but San Diego is over 450 miles away.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2020, 05:45 PM
DirtyCoconuts DirtyCoconuts is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida, East Coast
Posts: 3,610
Wrong ID Cattleya
Default

then it is probably not worth the trip for a long shot
__________________
Hi - All the ways I grow are dictated by the choices I have made and the environment in which I live. Please listen and act accordingly
--------------------------------------------------------------
Rooted in South Florida....

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
armani, cattleya, dragon, flower, village


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brazilan cattles and others, Bela Vista list for Tamiami pre order Ben_in_North_FLA Cattleya Alliance 2 11-30-2018 07:15 PM
Cattleya Seedling Culture estación seca Beginner Discussion 1 07-01-2018 02:29 PM
Cattleya Walkeriana needs some TLC BellaOrquidea Potting & Repotting 10 06-24-2018 05:51 PM
Not so often seen Cattleya mooreana Rosim_in_BR Cattleya Alliance 8 02-05-2009 07:59 PM
Seldom seen Cattleya kerrii Rosim_in_BR Cattleya Alliance 16 02-02-2009 12:56 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.