Cattleya forbesii
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Cattleya forbesii
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 06-24-2020, 08:01 PM
thefish1337 thefish1337 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 123
Cattleya forbesii
Default Cattleya forbesii

I wish there was better genetics for this species available in the US, I'm quite jealous of some of the work being done in Brazil. When I acquired this form I asked Santa Barbara orchid estate for the plant with the shortest distance between pseudobulbs to try to get one with a better growth habit. I have seen forbesii varietals that are much taller than mine as well. Bulbs stand 4" high on my plant. Hard to capture the pink blush showing through the petals and lip with my camera but its really a nice color, in my opinion. My original plant had multiple leads and had been severely under-potted and was growing out of control, I cut off one lead growth sold the main mess of a plant and put it in semi-hydro... the plant loves it! I have never achieved more than one bloom which I believe is a combination of my own culture and the genetics that I have. I was giving the plant way too much light previously as I have found that this cattleya enjoys medium to low light so hopefully I can get the flower count up to this plants genetic potential under new cultural regimes.

Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 5 Likes
  #2  
Old 06-24-2020, 10:07 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,289
Cattleya forbesii Male
Default

Those green longitudinal stripes on the tepals and the pinkish tubular lip is so nice. A very cute one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2020, 03:16 AM
camille1585's Avatar
camille1585 camille1585 is offline
Administrator
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: middle of the Netherlands
Posts: 12,387
Default

Great looking flower! Thanks for sharing the story behind the plant, I always find it interesting to hear about a plant's history.

When you say they are doing a lot of work on this plant in Brazil, what are the sort of features that they are selecting for? Basically, what makes for a superior plant that you aren't finding in US sourced genetics? (I'm guessing bulb height is one of the criteria)
__________________
Camille

Completely orchid obsessed and loving every minute of it....

My Orchid Photos
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-25-2020, 11:19 AM
thefish1337 thefish1337 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 123
Cattleya forbesii
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille1585 View Post
Great looking flower! Thanks for sharing the story behind the plant, I always find it interesting to hear about a plant's history.

When you say they are doing a lot of work on this plant in Brazil, what are the sort of features that they are selecting for? Basically, what makes for a superior plant that you aren't finding in US sourced genetics? (I'm guessing bulb height is one of the criteria)
better flower counts, other color forms, better growth forms, better looking flowers

this video is a good example:
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-25-2020, 12:52 PM
isurus79's Avatar
isurus79 isurus79 is offline
Senior Member
American Orchid Society Judge
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Zone: 8b
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 40
Posts: 8,372
Default

Very cool! I always appreciate cultural tips and tricks in people's posts.

FYI- The pink version of this species is thought to be derived from C. harrisoniana, which naturally hybridizes with C. forbesii. I wonder if the taller plants are similarly due to hybridization or culture?
__________________
Pics on Flickr

Instagram

YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-25-2020, 01:51 PM
thefish1337 thefish1337 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 123
Cattleya forbesii
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isurus79 View Post
Very cool! I always appreciate cultural tips and tricks in people's posts.

FYI- The pink version of this species is thought to be derived from C. harrisoniana, which naturally hybridizes with C. forbesii. I wonder if the taller plants are similarly due to hybridization or culture?
I wonder, though if the plant naturally hybridizes when its growing sympatrically then we would expect that mixtures of genes from both plants probably exists in "tipo" populations of each respective "species" as well. I studied plant systematics extensively in college and in my opinion, the concept of species if often applied too rigidly to plants when the biological reality is much more messy. A lot of the original concepts of species are based in the study of animals, and such qualifications fall apart rapidly when looking at other kingdoms of life like bactera, fungi and plants. Either way I'd love a tall floriforous pinkish forbesii! They're so easy to grow and free flowering which cant be beat when it comes to species Cattleya. I plan to cross this forbesii with a coerula schilleriana I think it would make a really cool green flowered primary hybrid.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-25-2020, 03:56 PM
isurus79's Avatar
isurus79 isurus79 is offline
Senior Member
American Orchid Society Judge
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Zone: 8b
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 40
Posts: 8,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefish1337 View Post
I wonder, though if the plant naturally hybridizes when its growing sympatrically then we would expect that mixtures of genes from both plants probably exists in "tipo" populations of each respective "species" as well. I studied plant systematics extensively in college and in my opinion, the concept of species if often applied too rigidly to plants when the biological reality is much more messy. A lot of the original concepts of species are based in the study of animals, and such qualifications fall apart rapidly when looking at other kingdoms of life like bactera, fungi and plants. Either way I'd love a tall floriforous pinkish forbesii! They're so easy to grow and free flowering which cant be beat when it comes to species Cattleya. I plan to cross this forbesii with a coerula schilleriana I think it would make a really cool green flowered primary hybrid.
I can't remember if both species grow sympatrically throughout their range or if there is a single, small location with introgression. I suspect the latter, but a buddy of mine is borrowing the book I would reference!
__________________
Pics on Flickr

Instagram

YouTube
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cattleya, forbesii, genetics, light, plant


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orchids with a strong scent razka3 Beginner Discussion 277 06-28-2020 03:53 PM
Brazilian imports at Redlands Festival Ben_in_North_FLA Cattleya Alliance 1 03-02-2019 11:54 AM
Brazilan cattles and others, Bela Vista list for Tamiami pre order Ben_in_North_FLA Cattleya Alliance 2 11-30-2018 06:15 PM
help with basic identification - large collection ckube Identification Forum 12 12-30-2016 06:14 PM
Cattleya forbesii Luis Renato Cattleya Alliance 2 02-15-2013 01:56 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.