Catasetum MALE (male) flowers ...
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Catasetum MALE (male) flowers ...
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #11  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:42 PM
isurus79's Avatar
isurus79 isurus79 is offline
Senior Member
American Orchid Society Judge
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Zone: 8b
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 37
Posts: 7,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidsarefun View Post
I am not sure of what theories Anthony Trewavas espouses but if based in science and not hearsay, then he's ahead of most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidsarefun View Post
Thanks for proving my point. That "guy" was a propagator with many registrations and was speaking from direct experience. If moon phases were a common thread that he could identify and support, then it's irrelevant that some people think it's crazy.
Have you tried it? If not , then it's easy to snipe from the sidelines. I have and even now it's something I bear in mind when doing my own crosses - wherever possible. I performed 2 exact crosses months apart, same conditions. One was successful, the other not. No prizes for guessing the common thread.
In fact I make a point of proving or disproving so called common lore that doesn't make sense with direct experience as I have found that much advice is just regurgitated. The common advice against use of sphagnum moss with phals is another fallacy that persists. I always maintain that if something works in your conditions then carry on, even if the "experts" are telling you it's wrong. If you have the resources to experiment with orchids, then do so as only then does knowledge expand.
Pick one. You can't have both.

You either want to flask using voodoo moon phase tactics or you want something based in science.

You also simultaneously degrade and promote anecdotal evidence. Make up your mind dude.
__________________
Steve

For all my pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/isurus79/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-20-2017, 01:41 PM
orchidsarefun's Avatar
orchidsarefun orchidsarefun is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Zone: 5b
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,983
Catasetum MALE (male) flowers ... Male
Default

Because you believe that it's voodoo science obviously doesn't make it so? Have you any evidence ? I tested the belief on a cross that initially didn't take and then I was successful. Do I slavishly follow that theory? No, because all my other crosses took. How many crosses have you done to be able to condemn either way?
I think you have a problem with the concept of direct evidence vs. anecdotal evidence. For example if a renowned breeder says that he has noticed that moon phases have an influence on pollination , I'm going to take notice and see if it will help. If a published science experiment in a greenhouse tells me that phals need a temperature change to bloom, I'm going to say hold on
as why is it that most of my phals bloom regardless. I was advised by many people that phals shouldn't be grown in moss. Its only after proving otherwise that I switched all to moss.
Open minded people choose what makes sense and it's not either or. In my case it's trust but verify if the issue is material.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
__________________
fine print - anything I say cannot be used against me and ymmv on any growing advice
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 PM
isurus79's Avatar
isurus79 isurus79 is offline
Senior Member
American Orchid Society Judge
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Zone: 8b
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 37
Posts: 7,346
Default

Living in Hawaii for 10 years and being in charge of bringing this country's best speakers to Texas' largest societies means I hold great value in anecdotal evidence from experts. It also means I adapt my conditions and techniques appropriately based on these same growers' knowledge.

I'm also a biologist and I know that science is the greatest invention our species has ever come up with. You're derision towards science in the previously mentioned thread and towards the hypothetical "published science experiment" in your previous post shows me you don't hold the scientific method in as high esteem as you probably should.

Lunar phase voodoo magic towards all manner of things is probably as old as our species. People have tried to tie moon phases to human behavior and all types of silly things, including orchid breeding. Show me a paper that lunar phase predicts propagation success and I'll change my mind.

Chopping up Catasetinae to throw male flowers is a technique I've heard many times from well established Catasetinae growers, which is why I suggested it. Your opinion in welcome, but your snippiness and rudeness is not. If you want to prove a point, say it without putting others down. Especially when those others know what they're talking about.
__________________
Steve

For all my pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/isurus79/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-20-2017, 11:12 PM
orchidsarefun's Avatar
orchidsarefun orchidsarefun is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Zone: 5b
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,983
Catasetum MALE (male) flowers ... Male
Default

I find it pointless to discuss anything with you as you love labels - "rudeness", "snippiness", "putting others down", "voodoo magic". Not to mention hyperbole such as "science is the greatest invention of our species" where I mention a science experiment I don't agree with. Yes, "a" science experiment which in your mind seems to label me a science denier. Huh? As for "hypothetical science experiment", read this
How Temperature and Photoperiod Impact Orchid Spiking | Greenhouse Grower

Again - unfortunately I have to repeat it - direct experience aka personal experience, is the best guidance as it conforms to your unique growing conditions. Btw I have attempted the single bulb advice and it made absolutely no difference. Conversely the multi growth advice, based on the "theory" that a plant needs energy to produce female flowers, also made no difference. Fitting an aluminium foil cap over a spike made no difference. More light/ less light made no difference. I have direct experience of all of these and don't need anyone to tell me otherwise. Have you?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
__________________
fine print - anything I say cannot be used against me and ymmv on any growing advice
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-21-2017, 01:15 PM
isurus79's Avatar
isurus79 isurus79 is offline
Senior Member
American Orchid Society Judge
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Zone: 8b
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 37
Posts: 7,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidsarefun View Post

Btw I have attempted the single bulb advice and it made absolutely no difference. Conversely the multi growth advice, based on the "theory" that a plant needs energy to produce female flowers, also made no difference. Fitting an aluminium foil cap over a spike made no difference. More light/ less light made no difference. I have direct experience of all of these and don't need anyone to tell me otherwise. Have you?
Yes, and if you had simply not written the first two sentences in your original post and kept things polite, we could have avoided this whole diatribe that has nothing to do with Manfred's original post.

And yes, I have chopped up female flower blooming plants with success. I have also put aluminum foil caps over spikes with success. I've also put female flower blooming plants in the shade and the plant kept throwing female flowers.

"I have direct experience of all of these and don't need anyone to tell me otherwise." This sentence of yours perfectly illustrates why talking to you is not worth my time. I'm done.
__________________
Steve

For all my pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/isurus79/
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-22-2017, 09:41 AM
orchidsarefun's Avatar
orchidsarefun orchidsarefun is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Zone: 5b
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,983
Catasetum MALE (male) flowers ... Male
Default

All of a sudden you now claim direct experience whereas before you never mentioned it as the basis for your recommendations. In fact you said " is a technique I've heard many times" for chopping up Catasetinae. Now you have done this yourself with success? I stand by what I said in my original post and subsequently.


Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
__________________
fine print - anything I say cannot be used against me and ymmv on any growing advice
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-22-2017, 02:50 PM
isurus79's Avatar
isurus79 isurus79 is offline
Senior Member
American Orchid Society Judge
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Zone: 8b
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 37
Posts: 7,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isurus79 View Post
I think cutting the plant into individual bulbs will do the trick.

I've tried giving large, mature plants that produce female flowers Phal light and they still gave females. Chop 'em up!!
This is my original post. You're quoting someone else.

Thanks for playing. I recommend you just stop making yourself look silly.
__________________
Steve

For all my pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/isurus79/
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-22-2017, 02:56 PM
orchidsarefun's Avatar
orchidsarefun orchidsarefun is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Zone: 5b
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,983
Catasetum MALE (male) flowers ... Male
Default

This is what you said above.
"Chopping up Catasetinae to throw male flowers is a technique I've heard many times from well established Catasetinae growers, which is why I suggested it."

Enough with the labels as ironically every one you have used seems to hit closer to home.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
__________________
fine print - anything I say cannot be used against me and ymmv on any growing advice
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-22-2017, 03:28 PM
isurus79's Avatar
isurus79 isurus79 is offline
Senior Member
American Orchid Society Judge
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Zone: 8b
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 37
Posts: 7,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidsarefun View Post
This is what you said above.
"Chopping up Catasetinae to throw male flowers is a technique I've heard many times from well established Catasetinae growers, which is why I suggested it."

Enough with the labels as ironically every one you have used seems to hit closer to home.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
In addition to chopping up plants myself, I've also heard from many growers it is a worthwhile technique. I was adding credence to my statement by discussing knowledge from other growers. You should try it.

Seriously, just stop dude. You're really looking silly, which is a label this seems to fit you quite well.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

This thread talks about me chopping up a Ctsm tenebrosum in 2011 because it threw female flowers. Catasetum tenebrosum

It later bloomed with male flowers, which I didn't photograph because I was out of town.
__________________
Steve

For all my pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/isurus79/
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-22-2017, 03:39 PM
orchidsarefun's Avatar
orchidsarefun orchidsarefun is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Zone: 5b
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,983
Catasetum MALE (male) flowers ... Male
Default

I thought I was being silly by quoting someone else? What happened ? Now I'm silly because I reminded you - again-that's what you said.
You also originally said " I think cutting the plant into individual plants will do the trick." You didn't say you have tried and succeeded - as you later seem to remember doing. In fact you say you "suggested it" because of what you heard from other growers that it works.
My points still stand, no matter how many times you obfuscate.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

That old thread is interesting. It doesn't however state that you did chop up the plant. However if in fact you eventually did and it worked, then congrats. It's direct evidence. I tried on 2 different species and it didn't. It may be a method worth trying but it's not infallible.
__________________
fine print - anything I say cannot be used against me and ymmv on any growing advice

Last edited by orchidsarefun; 04-22-2017 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
catasetum, flowers, grower, male, produce


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cycnoches Golden Showers Bud Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance 32 09-26-2014 05:32 PM
Catasetum incurvum (Female flowers) kavanaru Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance 10 06-26-2012 07:39 PM
Catasetinae - perfect flowers, hermaphroditic flowers nancy Advanced Discussion 3 07-14-2011 01:47 PM
Catasetum macrocarpum kavanaru Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance 7 09-10-2009 02:08 AM
Catasetum osculatum Rosim_in_BR Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance 7 01-30-2009 03:57 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.