Catasetum bulb black spot
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Catasetum bulb black spot
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #11  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:46 AM
silanah77 silanah77 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 29
Catasetum bulb black spot
Default

Thank you again to all of you nice people But as I said I've already cut the black area off. I can't tell if the spots became soft or not, because most of them were like black "lines"..I don't know if you can understand my writings.. I'm attaching photos of the plant now - as I said this was my first catasetum and obviously I didn't succeed to take a good care of it I don't know if an older bulb can produce new growth....? The older bulbs are very shriveled and I'm afraid to moisture them because of the last cutted bulb...
So is there any chance for my catasetum or not?
Attached Thumbnails
Catasetum bulb black spot-img_20200109_072126-jpg   Catasetum bulb black spot-img_20200109_072119-jpg   Catasetum bulb black spot-img_20200109_072106-jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:05 AM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 4,982
Catasetum bulb black spot Female
Default

The last photo (the one on the right) shows a little bit of intact pseudobulb, maybe has a chance. Not a good chance, but never say never. Those older ones, that are shriveled, might also produce a shoot. So put in a pot with some spaghnum moss, and then just let it be - no water, doesn't need much light. You did damage most of the newest pseudobulb. But it could surprise you, so give it a chance.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Roberta's Orchids (Visit my back yard)

What's blooming for Southern California Species hobbyists (New page for August 2020)
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes silanah77 liked this post
  #13  
Old 01-09-2020, 02:11 AM
silanah77 silanah77 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 29
Catasetum bulb black spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
The last photo (the one on the right) shows a little bit of intact pseudobulb, maybe has a chance. Not a good chance, but never say never. Those older ones, that are shriveled, might also produce a shoot. So put in a pot with some spaghnum moss, and then just let it be - no water, doesn't need much light. You did damage most of the newest pseudobulb. But it could surprise you, so give it a chance.
Thank you, Roberta!!! I'll put it in a spaghnum moss, but should I put in on a light place? Now it is on dark place in a box...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-09-2020, 11:04 AM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 4,982
Catasetum bulb black spot Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silanah77 View Post
Thank you, Roberta!!! I'll put it in a spaghnum moss, but should I put in on a light place? Now it is on dark place in a box...
While it is dormant, it doesn't care whether it gets light or not. (with no leaves, it can't photosynthesize anyway) So just put it where it is out of the way... If it starts a growth, then it will want light.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Roberta's Orchids (Visit my back yard)

What's blooming for Southern California Species hobbyists (New page for August 2020)
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes silanah77 liked this post
  #15  
Old 01-09-2020, 11:44 AM
silanah77 silanah77 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 29
Catasetum bulb black spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
While it is dormant, it doesn't care whether it gets light or not. (with no leaves, it can't photosynthesize anyway) So just put it where it is out of the way... If it starts a growth, then it will want light.
Thank you again! I'll do it and I will hope for a miracle. Have a nice day!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-09-2020, 12:47 PM
isurus79's Avatar
isurus79 isurus79 is offline
Senior Member
American Orchid Society Judge
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Zone: 8b
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 40
Posts: 8,450
Default

For future purposes, only cut large pieces off if the black spots are soft. There is a good change you cut the bulb for a sunburn or something that would not otherwise harm the plant.
__________________
Pics on Flickr

Instagram

YouTube
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes silanah77 liked this post
  #17  
Old 01-09-2020, 01:01 PM
silanah77 silanah77 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 29
Catasetum bulb black spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isurus79 View Post
For future purposes, only cut large pieces off if the black spots are soft. There is a good change you cut the bulb for a sunburn or something that would not otherwise harm the plant.
Thank you very much! Have a nice day!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-09-2020, 04:08 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,531
Catasetum bulb black spot Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silanah77 View Post
because most of them were like black "lines"
Did those regions eventually begin to sink down below the rest of the pseudobulb's surface?

In your original photos --- the affected regions were limited. But the new photos shows quite extensive removal of bulb tissue.

If you notice this sort of thing early, and if you see the affected portion (patch) sink below the regular surface of the bulb, then spraying a systematic fungicide on the bulb could be beneficial.

After I spotted something just like your case (greyish black/brown region) - except mine was more like a small patch --- treatment contained the patch, which then changed colour to something ---- maybe dark brown -- basically dried up or became healed. The blemishes remained, which is why I will be able to take photos of it to show you when I return home from holidays.


Last edited by SouthPark; 01-09-2020 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes silanah77 liked this post
  #19  
Old 01-10-2020, 01:28 AM
silanah77 silanah77 is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 29
Catasetum bulb black spot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPark View Post
Did those regions eventually begin to sink down below the rest of the pseudobulb's surface?

In your original photos --- the affected regions were limited. But the new photos shows quite extensive removal of bulb tissue.

If you notice this sort of thing early, and if you see the affected portion (patch) sink below the regular surface of the bulb, then spraying a systematic fungicide on the bulb could be beneficial.

After I spotted something just like your case (greyish black/brown region) - except mine was more like a small patch --- treatment contained the patch, which then changed colour to something ---- maybe dark brown -- basically dried up or became healed. The blemishes remained, which is why I will be able to take photos of it to show you when I return home from holidays.

Thank you for your detailed comments! Yes, the patches were deep in the bulb, that's why the cuts are deep. I'll be happy if you post photos of your orchid when it's possible.
For future I'll know to apply fungicide, although I'm not very familiar with them, but I'll search for more info.
Now I'm just crossing my fingers my orchid to survive...
Thank you again and have a nice day!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-12-2020, 07:46 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,531
Catasetum bulb black spot Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silanah77 View Post
Thank you for your detailed comments! Yes, the patches were deep in the bulb, that's why the cuts are deep. I'll be happy if you post photos of your orchid when it's possible.
For future I'll know to apply fungicide, although I'm not very familiar with them, but I'll search for more info.
Now I'm just crossing my fingers my orchid to survive...
Thank you again and have a nice day!
Silanah -- I took this photo this morning .... attached. The rot region totally dried. No issues with the bulb. The original grey brown region has become a dark brown dried patch. None of my other catasetum orchids had this.

The cause wasn't sunburn. And the original ominous colouring was exactly like that in your photo. My application of yates anti-rot phosacid stopped the attack of whatever it was.

Attached Thumbnails
Catasetum bulb black spot-20200113_075631-jpg  

Last edited by SouthPark; 01-12-2020 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes silanah77 liked this post
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
black, catasetum, growing, orchids, read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oncidium Twinkle -- black spot on pseudobulb? GardenGnomeVariety Pests & Diseases 7 10-25-2019 07:47 PM
tolumnia black spot, cut? vpsihop@hotmail.com Pests & Diseases 3 12-27-2016 12:40 AM
I found a black spot on my Angraecum 'Mark Aldridge.' Butters Vanda Alliance - Angraecum/Aerangis 5 11-14-2016 01:24 AM
Catasetum tenebr. grwing from an old bulb poluekt_sowranski Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance 6 11-16-2011 10:05 AM
Phal: Black spot, white dust, little crusty thing Blondie Pests & Diseases 6 03-23-2009 12:39 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.