and become
Forum Supporter.

mounted phal yellow leaves
Many perks!
<...more...>

Sponsor

Google

Fauna Top Sites
Register mounted phal yellow leaves Members mounted phal yellow leaves mounted phal yellow leaves Today's Postsmounted phal yellow leaves mounted phal yellow leaves mounted phal yellow leaves
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > >

Old 03-13-2010, 05:26 PM

Zone: 5b
mounted phal yellow leaves Female
Default mounted phal yellow leaves

When I took my phal out of the pot, there were so many black squishy roots. I cut the roots and put cinnimon on them. I mounted the phal to a cork bark and put a bit of moss around it. I watered it daily but noticed the roots kept getting black again. So, I took the moss off and just gave it a good soaking daily. Then, I noticed the leaves were getting red. I took that to mean it was being exposed to too much light (west facing window because I have no east windows). I moved it to a location that doesn't get as much direct sunlight. Now, the two bottom leaves are yellow and look dead . I will try to upload a photo. Now what? I'm so sad about this.
Attached Thumbnails
mounted phal yellow leaves-orchid-146-jpg   mounted phal yellow leaves-orchid-145-jpg  
Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 PM

Zone: 7b
Member of:AOS

Can you give us some idea how long this plant has been on its mount? Your plant doesn't seem to have any healthy roots; the senescence of the lower leaf is the plant's attempt to save itself by shunting what hydration it still has to its younger leaves. I wouldn't have mounted this plant because it currently needs a lot of humidity around it to keep it hydrated until it grows new roots...humidity that is going to be tricky to provide indoors unless you have it placed right over a humidifier.
-Claire

PS Reddening leaves aren't necessarily a bad thing--most orchids (at least those with red pigmentation)become suffused with red in bright light. It does not harm the plant to be "sun-tanned" in this manner, but I'm concerned that your plant is in no shape to be in such bright light. You were right to move it, I think--bright sun can only speed the desiccation of your plant. It needs extra humidity, stat!
Old 03-14-2010, 10:31 AM

Zone: 8a

I agree that the reason it is loosing it's leaf is because it does not have enough roots and is trying to divert the water it can get in to the youngest leaves.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:42 AM

mounted phal yellow leaves Male

and some spag would help a lot
Old 03-14-2010, 12:03 PM

I had originally mounted it because the roots were in such bad shape from the spag moss it had sat in for over a year. It has been mounted for about three weeks. The very few roots it does have do turn green when I water it. We are just now coming into spring so it has been very cold and dry here. I don't have a humidifier. What about this bag method I keep hearing about? Would it work, and how should I do it, IF I should do it? Also, the worst leaf wasn't shown in the photo because I removed it before the picture was taken. Should I remove the other leaf? I will put spag back on if everyone thinks I should. Thanks for all the terrific input!
Old 03-14-2010, 03:31 PM

Member of:DOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8corneflakes View Post
I had originally mounted it because the roots were in such bad shape from the spag moss it had sat in for over a year. It has been mounted for about three weeks. The very few roots it does have do turn green when I water it. We are just now coming into spring so it has been very cold and dry here. I don't have a humidifier. What about this bag method I keep hearing about? Would it work, and how should I do it, IF I should do it? Also, the worst leaf wasn't shown in the photo because I removed it before the picture was taken. Should I remove the other leaf? I will put spag back on if everyone thinks I should. Thanks for all the terrific input!
Ray explains the method you're asking about VERY well here- Sphag-n-Bag
I think it would be a great idea for your guy.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:56 PM

It's official, I will sphag-n-bag! thanks to everyone!
Old 03-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Good luck! Definitely soak it in a rooting hormone solution and then dunk in disinfectant before bagging it.

I found 4oz SuperThrive at Home Depot just last week for cheaper ($10) than I've found it online if you don't have any.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:27 PM

And also, when watering it, whether you mount or pot next, you might try soaking it for 10-15min when you water, and let it dry somewhat before you water next.
I've noticed that the aerial roots stay greener longer that way. (if potted, put a bamboo skewer in it and water when the lower half is no longer damp.)
That's what I've had a lot of success with.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:47 PM

Last week I tried the spag n bag on my phal. Now, it is growing a crazy amout of white furry mold. I did read about mold related to lack of air circulation, but I can't see how that applies to spag n bag where the whole point is to close the plant up in the bag to create a constant high moisture environment. Any suggestions?