Help needed! Lights, cats and moving!
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Help needed! Lights, cats and moving!
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 06-02-2018, 10:56 PM
marcmaubert marcmaubert is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Zone: 10a
Location: Mexico City
Age: 28
Posts: 148
Help needed! Lights, cats and moving! Male
Default Help needed! Lights, cats and moving!

I'm moving next month closer to my job to a bigger place with a really big windowsill that has unobstructed west, north and a little bit of obstructed south exposure (that windowsill sealed the deal, I was sold the moment I saw that).

But... now I have 3 questions:

1) I've been growing most of my orchids under lights because my west facing window is small and obstructed and my electricity bill is really cheap in the part of town I'm currently living. I'm sure it will be a lot more expensive in my new apartment. Do you think I can rebloom my orchids in my windowsill only on natural light (I live in Mexico City, btw)? (I'm concerned about my NOID Cattleya, Neofinetias, Brassavolas, Encyclias, Lycastes and Catasetinae).

2) I grow some cool growing orchids in another room that has almost no natural light, so it's a lot cooler than the rest of the house. That's where I grow my Cymbidium, Zygopetalum, an Encyclia adenocaula and where I give a winter rest to the orchids that need it (mainly neos, S. japonica, Dendrobiums, etc) . Will my cool growing orchids be able to rebloom if I can't provide a cooler temperatures? Do you have any tips for growing cooler growing orchids in the same room as warmer ones?

3) I'm moving in with someone that has 2 cats. I'm terrified for my orchids. I have a lot of small and miniature orchids that could easily be severely damaged if a cat decides to nibble them. I've already bought a Scat Mat just in case, and I plan to move them slowly (starting with a Cymbidium and an Oncidium that won't mind losing a leaf or 2) and spraying the hell out of them with really spicy peppers and bitter things. Any other tips?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-03-2018, 01:17 AM
King_of_orchid_growing:)'s Avatar
King_of_orchid_growing:) King_of_orchid_growing:) is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Zone: 9a
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmaubert View Post
I'm moving next month closer to my job to a bigger place with a really big windowsill that has unobstructed west, north and a little bit of obstructed south exposure (that windowsill sealed the deal, I was sold the moment I saw that).

But... now I have 3 questions:
Congratulations.

Sounds like you can grow a lot of different orchids from the way you describe things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmaubert View Post
1) I've been growing most of my orchids under lights because my west facing window is small and obstructed and my electricity bill is really cheap in the part of town I'm currently living. I'm sure it will be a lot more expensive in my new apartment. Do you think I can rebloom my orchids in my windowsill only on natural light (I live in Mexico City, btw)? (I'm concerned about my NOID Cattleya, Neofinetias, Brassavolas, Encyclias, Lycastes and Catasetinae).
If the sunlight they're getting is bright enough, I don't see why not.

Unless I'm missing the point of your question, this is my answer regarding this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmaubert View Post
2) I grow some cool growing orchids in another room that has almost no natural light, so it's a lot cooler than the rest of the house. That's where I grow my Cymbidium, Zygopetalum, an Encyclia adenocaula and where I give a winter rest to the orchids that need it (mainly neos, S. japonica, Dendrobiums, etc) . Will my cool growing orchids be able to rebloom if I can't provide a cooler temperatures? Do you have any tips for growing cooler growing orchids in the same room as warmer ones?
You shouldn't have problems re-blooming Zygopetalum, Vanda (Neofinetia) falcata, Sedirea japonica, Cymbidiums, or the Dendrobiums. Can't say for the Encyclia adenocaula, never grew it before, so I don't know how finicky it is about conditions not being right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmaubert View Post
3) I'm moving in with someone that has 2 cats. I'm terrified for my orchids. I have a lot of small and miniature orchids that could easily be severely damaged if a cat decides to nibble them. I've already bought a Scat Mat just in case, and I plan to move them slowly (starting with a Cymbidium and an Oncidium that won't mind losing a leaf or 2) and spraying the hell out of them with really spicy peppers and bitter things. Any other tips?
Don't know how to advise other than to keep the cats away from your growing areas.
__________________
Philip
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes marcmaubert liked this post
  #3  
Old 06-03-2018, 05:00 AM
ArronOB ArronOB is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Central Coast, NSW
Posts: 92
Help needed! Lights, cats and moving! Male
Default

My indoor orchids are easily accessible to our two cats but they donít ever chew them.

One cat has pica (psychological condition - continually gnaws timber, electrical leads etc) and the orchids are one of the few things left in the house she hasnít chewed.

They have access to cattleyas, bulbos and an oncidium.

So I think you should be ok, but all cats are individuals.

Do the cats have access to catgrass? If so, it will reduce their desire to investigate plant matter.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-03-2018, 05:47 AM
Subrosa's Avatar
Subrosa Subrosa is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Zone: 6b
Location: PA coal country
Posts: 2,490
Help needed! Lights, cats and moving! Male
Default

One of my cats recently ate, in its entirety, a 10+ fan specimen of N. falcata 'Suminagashi'.
__________________
Be who you are and say what you think. Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-03-2018, 06:36 AM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 9,212
Help needed! Lights, cats and moving!
Default

I agree with Philip about the light level.

As to the "coolness" factor, time will tell on that, but you may be more likely to see their reaction by how they're growing, more than how they are reblooming.

Keep in mind that this WILL be a change for the plants too, so they may take a little time to adjust to the new conditions. If reliable bloomers skip a cycle, don't get too concerned. Be observant and watch for changes in leaf color and turgidity, as they will be the likely first indicators of different growth - good or bad.

I think your planned "aversion training" is your best bet with the cats, unless you can just keep them separated from the plants altogether.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
shop.firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-2018, 07:00 AM
Dollythehun's Avatar
Dollythehun Dollythehun is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Zone: 6a
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 3,707
Help needed! Lights, cats and moving! Female
Default

From experience ( Subrosa being the exception) my cats go for filmier leaves. Although they have punished me by chewing others, but not demolishing them. A barrier would help, as might Bitter Apple spray. Each cat is an individual. My Nathan has access to many orchids. I had an Epidendrum in the sink preparing to pack it for shipping. It was close to his meal time, when I went to the basement for packing materials, he shredded the leaves (but did not eat them) as my punishment. Also, cats love to lay in windows, you will now be blocking their access...individuals all.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2018, 09:23 PM
marcmaubert marcmaubert is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Zone: 10a
Location: Mexico City
Age: 28
Posts: 148
Help needed! Lights, cats and moving! Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_orchid_growing:) View Post



You shouldn't have problems re-blooming Zygopetalum, Vanda (Neofinetia) falcata, Sedirea japonica, Cymbidiums, or the Dendrobiums. Can't say for the Encyclia adenocaula, never grew it before, so I don't know how finicky it is about conditions not being right.

.
Thank you! That's good to know.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArronOB View Post
My indoor orchids are easily accessible to our two cats but they donít ever chew them.

One cat has pica (psychological condition - continually gnaws timber, electrical leads etc) and the orchids are one of the few things left in the house she hasnít chewed.

They have access to cattleyas, bulbos and an oncidium.

So I think you should be ok, but all cats are individuals.

Do the cats have access to catgrass? If so, it will reduce their desire to investigate plant matter.
I believe those cats rarely destroy anything, I just hope they don't get stressed out by the big change and take it out on my plants.

The catgrass is a good idea, I'll try to grow it myself for them. Anything to keep them away from the orchids.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrosa View Post
One of my cats recently ate, in its entirety, a 10+ fan specimen of N. falcata 'Suminagashi'.
Jesus... that's terrible!

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I agree with Philip about the light level.

As to the "coolness" factor, time will tell on that, but you may be more likely to see their reaction by how they're growing, more than how they are reblooming.

Keep in mind that this WILL be a change for the plants too, so they may take a little time to adjust to the new conditions. If reliable bloomers skip a cycle, don't get too concerned. Be observant and watch for changes in leaf color and turgidity, as they will be the likely first indicators of different growth - good or bad.

I think your planned "aversion training" is your best bet with the cats, unless you can just keep them separated from the plants altogether.
I'll be patient with all of these changes, I'll keep you posted if anything goes south.

I can keep my orchids in a separate room, but I would have to go back to growing under lights and waste a perfectly good windowsill. I think I will keep my small and mini orchids locked inside a cage or something like that as a precaution for a while.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollythehun View Post
From experience ( Subrosa being the exception) my cats go for filmier leaves. Although they have punished me by chewing others, but not demolishing them. A barrier would help, as might Bitter Apple spray. Each cat is an individual. My Nathan has access to many orchids. I had an Epidendrum in the sink preparing to pack it for shipping. It was close to his meal time, when I went to the basement for packing materials, he shredded the leaves (but did not eat them) as my punishment. Also, cats love to lay in windows, you will now be blocking their access...individuals all.
I was thinking on purchasing them a window hammock as a peace offering. Maybe that will work?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-2018, 06:34 AM
Dollythehun's Avatar
Dollythehun Dollythehun is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Zone: 6a
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 3,707
Help needed! Lights, cats and moving! Female
Default

Probably not. Get a baker's rack for in front of the window. The feline mind does not work like yours.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
growing, lot, moving, orchids, windowsill


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help needed! Lights, cats and moving! marcmaubert Beginner Discussion 1 06-03-2018 01:13 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.